Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beef tongue? Beef tongue! (ewwwwww.....) page 3

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I'm kinda bummed that I didn't like it. I love 'weird' food too- every organ I've ever tried, I've liked. Hell, I've eaten balut almost a dozen times (I started with the younger ones and moved onto the older ones). Glad I inspired you Ika! The prep was actually not gross at all- but looking at it, mehhhhh.
    That's funny: I can't even imagine eating balut (or most organs, for that matter), but tongue...YUM!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    OMG - if I came home with a cow tounge and started to prepare it would gross out my wife so much I'd never be allowed in the kitchen ever again. However - it looks delicious when prepared. Still, my wife balks at my entrecôtes... *sniff*
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Your experiences reminded me of a few more things. I usually peel the inner membrane too, actually just cut it off like peeling an apple. Crock pot just seems easier to me, it's easy enough to do overnight, just cover the tongue with water and go for it. I find that slicing when cool makes it easier to slice it relatively thin and that makes the consistency of it better to me when I saute it, makes the outside a little crisp. So you might want to give it another shot and try a different method, in your photos, the pieces looked more like chunks than slices.

Balut, I had to google that. I recall seeing an episode of "Bizarre Foods" where that was shown once. If you can eat that and get grossed out by tongue, more power to you.

Victoria Guest
    I've been debating whether or not to get some tongue to try ... I might have to give it a go just to see. I almost bought some last week but chickened out.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Jeff - I think you might be right. If I'd sliced it thinner, and perhaps pan fried it, that likely would've helped with the texture. Regardless, I think this was my first and last attempt at tongue. (That's what she said....)

Although, I think in a stew or a chili, it might be pretty good.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

MrsPih1024 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I've been debating whether or not to get some tongue to try ... I might have to give it a go just to see. I almost bought some last week but chickened out.
    I have been wanting to try it myself, but I don't know if I would be able to stomach slicing it up and all that.
    Your best bet would probably be to try it at a really good Jewish deli. I know my local place makes tongue sandwiches. --- You could probably just get the meat without the bread. Oh and be sure to add bacon! haha

soror is offline Senior Member
    I have a tongue in my freezer and have been trying to get up the nerve to cook it. I hadn't seen any pics of it and I guess I wasn't expecting it to look so much like a tongue. I need to get up the nerve as I am about to have another one in there again as I am getting 1/4 cow very soon. I think I will do it sliced thin though and sauteed those big pieces look, quite, umm, revolting to me.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I fixed a couple tongues a couple months ago. I used my crock pots and they came out good. I boiled it them for a while then cut the up and put the in the crock pots with some onions, mushrooms, and assorted seasonings. I like the texture of the base of them more than the tip. The tip got a little rubbery for some reason. All in all, I'd say it's good for ya and I will most likely cook it again. I like tongue more than liver but I prefer beef heart to beef tongue.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Slice it thin!! Put some horseradish on it. Yum!

Sliced thick the way you did it, I can totally see how the texture would be a bit icky. good luck!

strom is offline Senior Member
    Horseradish and onions is the Jewish way. Mediterranean style with coriander and tumeric might be good too. I would think you would want to marinate it for a day or so though, since its a muscle. I haven't had it since elementary school though. I thought it was cool at the time to eat a tongue the size of a plate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast