Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How is fructose stored as fat? page 6

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    For those who wish to worry about it I say worry about the GI index or the Glycemic load,
    Fructose has a lower glycemic index than glucose

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    No reason to worry at all about fructose when it comes in fruit - but soda, candies, and sweet desserts is another issue though! Of course that doesn’t mean that eating lots of bananas on a diet for weight loss is a good idea, but some grapefruit or an apple a day is usually good - also as part of a diet…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Most fructose is fine in fruit as long as someone can tolerate it. If a person has SIBO, the large amount of fructose in some fruits might cause digestive issues and excessive gas. Berries are usually fine for most people, if you have a sweet tooth. Berries are low in fructose. Blueberries are one of the best!
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy! View Post
    I think the amount of fructose normally eaten by ancestral groups would be far, far, less than what is considered normal now.
    It has been estimated at around 15-30g of sugar a day, so perhaps 15g fructose (sources: Cordain and Lustig). That passes the common sense test too, if you eat nothing but meat and vegetables sugar ends up around 15g/day. If you find a few berries maybe you can go higher, but not consistently, and not all year long.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Fruit "then" is not the same as fruit "now." We use the same words for wheat, fruit, etc. but few foods eaten 10,000 years ago have much resemblance to the edible item bearing the same name that's available now.

Seriously, I think the use of the same words to describe very different archaic vs. modern foods is one of the most basic and misleading issues when discussing nutrition.

I think the amount of fructose normally eaten by ancestral groups would be far, far, less than what is considered normal now. For example, a typical glass of o.j. contains the juice of 4 or 5 modern oranges.
    Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? | Raw Food SOS
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Thank you j3nn.

That's a very interesting article!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are just fine for me. I eat 2-4 or more bananas per day. I think for someone that is active and lifting heavy on a regular basis, bananas are an excellent carb source. On top of that, I eat a sweet potato or two, possibly some quinoa, and occasionally some white rice. I am losing fat just fine as long as I remain on a calorie deficit and keep active.

Refined fructose or any other refined sugar is probably not healthy if eaten excess. A teaspoon here and there is probably not going to do much as far as fat gain.

Just my experience. No studies to cite to back this up.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    That is an interesting article...don't know what percentage of the world's population evolved in the tropics only. I wonder how much impact ethnic origin has on how well high-glycemic carbs are tolerated? There is diabetes on both sides of my family and we're of Scandinavian and other northern European decent. Not much fruit in those areas until recent times with increased shipping, etc.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    That is an interesting article...don't know what percentage of the world's population evolved in the tropics only. I wonder how much impact ethnic origin has on how well high-glycemic carbs are tolerated? There is diabetes on both sides of my family and we're of Scandinavian and other northern European decent. Not much fruit in those areas until recent times with increased shipping, etc.
    Given that we cannot survive in cold weather environments without substantial clothing, shelter, etc. etc. I think it is pretty fair to say that we are of tropical origin.

As to more recent adaptions to our various environments there is some evidence to support that as well. As those of scandinavian and northern european descent tend to be far less likely to be lactose intolerant. Presumably due to high amounts dairy in the diet.

So the 'truth' is probably somewhere in the middle, IMO. We are not evolved to be 'fruititarians' but are evolved to consume fruits and berries.

Lingonberries anyone?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    Lingonberries anyone?
    I love lingonberry preserves but have never actually seen any whole fresh lingonberries. We started using that instead of cranberry sauce with Turkey as well.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast