Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make sausage gravy? page

Cristy is offline Junior Member

How to make sausage gravy?

Primal Fuel
    surely some fellow southerners have figured this out! think i can figure some "biscuits" out with coconut flour, but the gravy might be a bit of a challenge. any ideas?

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Ohhh, I've been craving biscuits and gravy. I miss them. I actually don't mind thickening my gravies with cornstarch since it's such a small amount (about a tbs in a big pot of gravy) so I just count it as my 20% but if there's a better way....
    How do you make biscuits with coconut flour?

i know...my dad ordered biscuits and gravy when we went to breakfast the other day...made me a little jealous! haven't made the biscuits yet, but i think it'll be relatively easy to figure out. can you follow this link?
    http://www.simplycoconut.com/Coco%20Flour%20Recipes.pdf
    i wouldn't add honey though.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I don't know but I'll be following this thread with interest. The Man is a huge fan of biscuits and gravy.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I have become a fan of coconut flour and have been making coconut flour pancakes each weekend. Will also try the biscuits at some point.

Sadly, I have not found a good gravy substitute and have been doing pan reduction sauces instead. I think next I will try sauteeing mushrooms and onions in the drippings, adding some stock and pureeing that so that the mushrooms and onions provide thickening. Adding cream and black pepper to this and reducing a bit might make it more like a milk gravy. (OK, I was raised in the South).

btw...what kind of sausage do y'all buy?

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I bought some coconut flour tonight and I'm going to try those biscuits, I hope they turn out good (sorry, zero faith in coconut flour tasting anything like the real thing but I've never tried it...)
    I buy Jones sausage. I don't have a local source for pastured pork yet. still looking but this stuff is really good in the meantime
    http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/All-Na...oz-P239C9.aspx

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    While I'm can't speak on biscuits, I love to make gravies. I either just really reduce the drippings with cream OR add a teeny bit of arrowroot powder. I can't do corn, but do fine with arrowroot and it is such a small amount that it doesn't blow the carbs or anything.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I bought some potato flour thinking it's at least not grain. I haven't tried it yet.
    We bought holistic pork sausage at a farmer's market.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    We tried it today and it was great! It only took a tsp or so of potato flour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast