Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Commit to the end, whenever that may be. page

RobB75 is offline Member

Commit to the end, whenever that may be.

Hello I am Rob, I am 48 years old and former college athlete and up until I was 30 I never really worried about my weight or my health. I was always able to do what I wanted physically and nutritionally. At the age of 43 I went in for my physical and the doctor told me I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It was time to start doing something extra. I started some home workout programs and lost as much as 43 pounds at one point. Oh I guess I need to mention that when I started this I had hit my highest weight of 321 pounds.

So I got myself down to 278 and was cursing right along and life started getting in the way. I lost my job and felt pretty bad about myself. I began to gain the weight back and even though I continued the workout programs it seemed to not have an effect on me. I was gaining weight again. I was healthier but not getting smaller with all my efforts.

That was about the time I found Marks Daily Apple and purchased the 21 Day Book. It works, I did the 21 day program while continuing my workouts and lost 16 pounds in 21 days. The only problem is I can’t seem to get myself back into the habit of following the lifestyle.

I currently hover around 300 pounds and need to get my act in gear again. I am starting this Journal as a kind of accountability system for myself. But anyone with advice or encouragement please speak up.

I seem to struggle with the confusion of all the conventional advice out there including the amount of calories a big guy like me should be consuming each day. Some say I should be eating 3000-4000 calories per day and then others say the deficit should be at least 500 per day in order to make progress. I am very active so I do burn a lot of calories each day but I also sit at a desk at my job so there is an extreme variation in my day.

I am not sure how much good fat is good for you and how many grams of protein I should consume (1.1 grams per pound or not) I am hoping to find the mindset I had the last time I wondered into the Primal world but only this time I hope to make it my home.

I am committing myself with this Journal and looking to share my experience to help anyone in the same place in their life. I am also looking for some help if you can spare the time.

302/302/220
    Last edited by RobB75; 06-13-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Beth249 is offline Member
    Rob, I too have a hard time keeping to this. I think when those of us who didn't have any trouble staying fit when we were younger have a harder time excepting that our body changed in such a dramatic way. I look forward to you journey.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Jimmus Prime is offline Senior Member
    Rob,

I can't claim to be at the same point as you in your life, and there are several key differences. A big one being that I am only 27-years-old. Another that I was never really an active guy in my late teens and early adult life, up until recently to be honest.

Where I can relate is the weight. I got up to 304, and when I started this Primal thing I was at 294.8. I am not sure what I weight right now, as Monday morning will be my first weigh in after only 12 days.

It's funny though, and this is the only advice I will give you: Need it. I NEEDED it. I know that it's something I will need for the rest of my life. I don't just want it. I've changed my mind-set so much to get as focused and driven as possible to this. I haven't cheated, and moreover haven't even come close, because to me there is no cheating. I don't see bread or pasta when I'm at the grocery store, and I don't notice the convenience racks on the way out.

You know what I love to eat for breakfast? Eggs... Bacon... Steak... Things like that. I haven't even noticed any significant results, except that I feel great every day, and I always have a tonne of energy. I have no idea if I've lost any weight yet, and I'm not even too concerned.

I'm sure there are calorie guidelines, but I would just start with the mentality of eating when you're hungry, and stick to primal foods. I have also minimized alcohol consumption personally. I'll have a couple drinks this Saturday with some friends, but at the same time, it's not like I'm drinking 6 beer every night, which wasn't an outlandish thing just a few short months ago.

In the end, this community is amazing and very helpful, but YOU have to be your biggest motivator. Ask questions, seek out the information you need to succeed, then just go and freaking GET IT! You deserve to.

Best of luck, I'll be following along with ya and we're pretty much starting at the same spot, except that you've already had a run at this, so you know what you're doing. Also, I have only exercised one day so far as I'm slowly working my way into that.

Cheers,
    - Jim
    Please feel free to follow my journal, unless you're seeing this link IN my journal... That's quite the paradox! I promise to keep my content up to date, honest, and hopefully mildly entertaining.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107788.html

narrowminded is offline Senior Member
    Hi Rob and welcome! I want to wish you well on this journey. I'll be following along with your journey

The Walrus is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Rob! Yep, stick around here and you will find all the motivation you need!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand." - Thich Nhat Hanh

RobB75 is offline Member
    Wow! That was fast!I cannot believe that four people responded to my post in less than 24 hours. That will help a great deal with what i was looking for. Jimmus I will check out your link as well as everyone else's that commented. I am looking for new ideas and a fresh approach to this experience. I understand the approach and know what i have to do now i need to apply it.

302/302/220

RobB75 is offline Member
    Okay so I have been pretty committed to working out for the last three to four years after taking quite a bit of time off after college. I say I am big but I am solid for the most part. I started my workouts doing P90X and lost 38 pounds in the first round (three months) and the completed a second round and lost another 11 pounds so 49 pounds in six months. I did this by never really following any nutrition plan just eliminated most of the junk but did not deprive myself of anything.

I then moved on to Chalean Extreme and enjoyed the leg workouts that program had. From there I moved on and completed P90X2, Insanity, Asylum and recently have completed P90X3 and Focus T25. The one program I did that seemed to have the most effect on me was Body Beast, it’s a body building program and it did the complete opposite I wanted it to do. I packed on muscle and weight to the point I could not stop it. I gained about 22 pounds in two and a half months. So I now know that I must have some sort of cardio program in my weekly routine.

Over all this time I have dropped my body fat percentage from 48% down to 31% so I know I am doing something right but I am not getting smaller. The muscle is there and if muscle burns fat well I just need to find a way to start the fire. I know going Primal is the last brick to the wall I am looking to build.

302/302/220

RobB75 is offline Member
    I have spent the last few days cleaning up my eating and getting my mind set to do this. I have been pretty dam good too so I can say I started Friday and not tomorrow which was when I had planned to make it official. The family made me a huge omelet this morning and with fresh fruit it was very considerate of them to think about my goals. I stayed away from the pancakes.

I plan to lighten my workouts for the first few weeks just so I focus on the nutrition and not so much the fitness as I get back into this.

Who out there uses Whey Protein in their daily consumption.

302/302/220

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Rob.

Truly if you believe this is the best way to eat for your health and wellbeing, as well as actually being more delicious in every way than other options, there is no reason not to stay with it for...ever.

Already it's working for you, so don't sweat the details just keep on making positive choices and experiencing the benefits. It will become a way of life that you won't want to compromise.

Good luck.

The Walrus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is so great your family celebrated Fathers Day by making you a primal breakfast! Keep on!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast