Thread: New to Primal, losing too fast? page

b0ywundr is offline Junior Member

New to Primal, losing too fast?

I have been eating and exercising primally for 12 days. In that time I've lost 6.5 lbs. I have no problem keeping my carbs below 80 grams a day, in fact I had a couple "light beers" last night and still woke up in ketosis. I'm worried that I'm losing weight too fast (double the 1-2 pounds per week I should). I eat more protein than fat gram for gram. I also feel weaker in the gym than I did 2 weeks ago.
    Any suggestions from more experienced primals?
    Thanks!

Brad

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Height, weight, activities and sample menu please. You are probably losing water weight. It will stop and you will be angry.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Height, weight, activities and sample menu please. You are probably losing water weight. It will stop and you will be angry.
    +1

perhaps low carb isn't for you? primal/paleo isn't inherently low carb. ketosis isn't really necessary either.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    5'11", started at 204 now 197.5. Daily walking at least 30 min, treadmill sprints once a week, body- and free-weight exercises twice a week.
    Breakfast is 1-3 eggs and handful of berries. Lunch is usually salad with a protein. Dinner is vegetables with fish or shrimp. Snack is a handful of nuts or a couple oz beef or chicken.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by b0ywundr View Post
    5'11", started at 204 now 197.5. Daily walking at least 30 min, treadmill sprints once a week, body- and free-weight exercises twice a week.
    Breakfast is 1-3 eggs and handful of berries. Lunch is usually salad with a protein. Dinner is vegetables with fish or shrimp. Snack is a handful of nuts or a couple oz beef or chicken.

Brad
    Sounds good. Are you hungry? Feel free to eat to satiety and maybe mix in some starches or tubers here and there. You can test your reactions to these.

Not hungry. In fact I often eat past satiety (old bad habit I haven't broken yet).

You'll be fine.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    You are good - you can expect a dramatic change in weight during the first weeks of going low carb.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find out very easy to under eat do to finding high fat moderate protein and low carb very satiating.

It also took me a while to adjust and re-learn what my hunger signals are in the beginning. I no longer ever had that knawing rumbling hunger pain type feeling in my stomach even if I hadn't eaten all day, whereas pre primal I'd get line that every 2 to 4 hrs if I hadn't eaten.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/