Thread: Struggling to find a good source of Vitamin E - Are sunflower seeds ok? page

FatIsAwesome is offline Junior Member

Struggling to find a good source of Vitamin E - Are sunflower seeds ok?

Shop Now
    Ok so you need about 22mg/day of vitamin E

The thing is though, most paleo foods won't give you anywhere NEAR that amount.

You'd need to eat about 32 eggs to get enough vitamin E

The best vegetable for vitamin E is swiss chard - and you'd need to eat 7 cups of it to get enough.

It's crazy.

Sunflower seeds on the other hand, 3 ounces will satisfy the vitamin E requirement. But it comes at a price - a huge amount of omega-6 PUFA and MUFA!!! (45g of PUFA+MUFA combined in 3oz of sunflower seeds)

What's a man to do?
    Last edited by FatIsAwesome; 06-13-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ` Terry Pratchett

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    I'd go with - if you can't get it you probably don't need it anyway and iirc it's often in food that has lots of omega 6 in it so less omega 6 means lower need for Vit E.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    I supplement. Solgar brand mixed tocophorals d alpha, d gama etc (not di). But I'm planning on going through IVF again and it's good for fertility.

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Red palm oil and a handful of nuts now and then. We probably need less E if inflammatory substances are reduced. Perhaps just like omega 3??

miata is online now Senior Member
    Red palm oil -- around a tablespoon a week. Just finished off my first jar after a year or so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Vitamin E is an antioxidant for fats. It is used mostly to protect against polyunsaturated fat. For that reason, eating sunflower seeds for vitamin E is pointless, because sunflower seeds contain polyunsaturated fat, which would raise your requirement for vitamin E. The vitamin E in sunflower seeds exists to protect the seeds from the oxidation of their own fats.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    Red palm oil and a handful of nuts now and then. We probably need less E if inflammatory substances are reduced. Perhaps just like omega 3??
    I use red palm oil as well. The taste takes some getting used to, but I actually kind of like it now. Once or twice a week I use a tablespoon on a baked potato instead of butter.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    For that reason, eating sunflower seeds for vitamin E is pointless, because sunflower seeds contain polyunsaturated fat, which would raise your requirement for vitamin E.
    That was my thinking. RDAs are developed under some broad assumptions about the rest of the diet, e.g. cooking with soybean oil
    35//6'3"/180

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    There was also something about gamma-tocopherol causing a number of lung inflammation related issues. I also found this about general inflammation: ISOFORMS OF VITAMIN E DIFFERENTIALLY REGULATE INFLAMMATION

M.