Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: No Wonder We're Screwed page 7

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    A perpetually thin, eating disordered woman or a young man who has never been injured, old or overweight may LOOK like you want to, but they may lack the skills to help you reach your goal.
    Since I mentioned Mark, it should be obvious that I would not look for a "perpetually thin" person to emulate. I fully recognize the difference between thin and unhealthy and fit. And I would think that I have enough common sense (and have done enough research), to decide that they are what I'm looking for shortly after meeting them.

Most of us on the forum have been there, trying our best on SAD and feeling horrid. If you haven't, you're lucky.
    Started close to 300 lbs., tried a bunch of other diets before becoming primal, I'm eating and doing the right things. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Have I reached my goals? No and to be honest, I never will. Because my goal is to be in the absolute best condition that I can possibly be and I realize that I will never reach my full potential. But it is about the trip, not the finish to life. We all end our life the same way, dead, we just take different paths to the end.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Tassie is offline Junior Member
    What a thoroughly entertaining thread to read through. Mr Anthony and his "antics" does make me laugh, so thanks for that.

Just for the record, perhaps that specific Dietician was not the right person to use for the promotion, well in my humble opinion anyway.

And .... the rest of the world is not laughing at America/Americans, we still loves ya.

Tassie

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Have I reached my goals? No and to be honest, I never will. Because my goal is to be in the absolute best condition that I can possibly be and I realize that I will never reach my full potential. But it is about the trip, not the finish to life. We all end our life the same way, dead, we just take different paths to the end.
    Good to remind some basic piece of wisdom

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie View Post
    What a thoroughly entertaining thread to read through. Mr Anthony and his "antics" does make me laugh, so thanks for that.

Just for the record, perhaps that specific Dietician was not the right person to use for the promotion, well in my humble opinion anyway.

And .... the rest of the world is not laughing at America/Americans, we still loves ya.

Tassie
    welll. laughing a bit...

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ` Terry Pratchett

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    a cw dietician recommending dark chocolate is sort of surprising

sort of like slowly the tides are turning away from crap food. first there was the gluten-free trend, then fat is okay for you, then eat the yolk, now it's 'if you're gonna eat candy, try to get the less junky one'
    Dark chocolate (70%+) and red wine have been a CW 'healthy thing' for a while now.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

janeen is offline Senior Member
    In reality, the person who has accomplished the most toward their goal should be the one you choose. A perpetually thin, eating disordered woman or a young man who has never been injured, old or overweight may LOOK like you want to, but they may lack the skills to help you reach your goal.

Mark gained his wisdom about primal, as so many others did, after his health broke down. The woman could have lost 100 lbs--or she could be diligently following the ADA recommendations and wondering wtf is wrong with her 'genes.' Most of us on the forum have been there, trying our best on SAD and feeling horrid. If you haven't, you're lucky.
    This is a good point. I gained a lot of weight by following the advice of naturally thin, healthy-looking people. What worked for them did not work for me. Of course, what worked for them then may or may not still be working for them.

So, off-topic for the picture of the dietician, but I choose people who have accomplished what I want to accomplish -- the person who has lost a lot of weight and kept it off, the person who has put autoimmune disease into remission and reclaimed health, the person who started out in debt and became rich without some unlikely lucky break, the non-athlete who became very fit, etc.

It has been working for me.
    Janeen

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

No Wonder We're Screwed

I think it's hilarious that someone will dismiss a thin person for being either genetically blessed or anorexic, but will promote an obviously obese dietician as potentially healthy. At the end of the day...these are moot points.

This is NOT about an overweight person in the streets. It's about an overweight person being ADVERTISED as an authority on healthy foods. What is the most disturbing is what the advertisers' thought process was in putting such a person on the ad to make food look healthy. You don't advertise an Anti-Aging Cream with an older lady...you want to connect it with youth. It's all about association psychology. Likewise, it is mind boggling that someone would connect a food with obesity in order to promote the food's *image* as a health food.

I love how every topic on obesity always brings a bunch of people previously or currently overweight to the yard, huffing and puffing and getting PERSONALLY offended over a commentary of a SOCIAL phenomena.
    Last edited by TQP; 06-11-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I think it's hilarious that someone will dismiss a thin person for being either genetically blessed or anorexic, but will promote an obviously obese dietician as potentially healthy. At the end of the day...these are moot points.

This is NOT about an overweight person in the streets. It's about an overweight person being ADVERTISED as an authority on healthy foods. What is the most disturbing is what the advertisers' thought process was in putting such a person on the ad to make food look healthy. You don't advertise an Anti-Aging Cream with an older lady...you want to connect it with youth. It's all about association psychology. Likewise, it is mind boggling that someone would connect a food with obesity in order to promote the food's *image* as a health food.

I love how every topic on obesity always brings a bunch of people previously or currently overweight to the yard, huffing and puffing and getting PERSONALLY offended over a commentary of a SOCIAL phenomena.

i still havent thin shamed anybody, i didnt know quoting a commercial who's main them is 'relax, its all gonna be okay' was gonna be thin shaming but woo! my bad guys ;D
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    i still havent thin shamed anybody, i didnt know quoting a commercial who's main them is 'relax, its all gonna be okay' was gonna be thin shaming but woo! my bad guys ;D
    Help, help, I'm being repressed!
    The Champagne of Beards

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

No Wonder We're Screwed

Was not referring to you. There's a reason I didn't quote you... I was referring to the general trend and a few other comments on this thread.

People always assume I am naturally this way (thinnish). I am not. I also didn't build 20lbs of muscle with good genes... I have gotten up at 5am every weekday morning for the past 3 weeks to workout before going to my law firm job. I have said no to every dessert that popped in front of me too. Those who whine about genes and "no time" can just suck it.
    Last edited by TQP; 06-11-2014 at 05:05 AM.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast