Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder We're Screwed page 13

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Healthism" reminded me of this: His face says what we're all thinking. - Imgur

As one commenter put it, "What did the doctor say?" "Well, you can't tell just by looking!" "Yes, that's why I asked what a professional doctor said."
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

janeen is offline Senior Member
    Healthism. Imagine, the implication that one has a moral obligation to be healthy. Can't have that.

I think my head is going to explode.
    Janeen

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    May I go out on a limb and say people should have a moral obligation to be healthy? One has the moral obligation not to smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol during pregnancy, yet obesity during pregnancy contributes to a myriad of problems: Pregnancy Risk Factor: Obesity

...yet obesity during pregnancy does not hold the same stigma as smoking or drinking while pregnant.

And another moral obligation to be healthy: What about your family? You want to leave them early and leave them with hundreds of thousands in debt from medical bills?

I would say people have a moral obligation to their loved ones to be healthy.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post

...yet obesity during pregnancy does not hold the same stigma as smoking or drinking while pregnant.
    I think it does, just not to the same extent.
    I know someone, and no one believed she was pregnant until she was walking around with the baby (she was just that big).

I've know others that felt "fat shamed" by the health professionals looking after them. (And I've been told the more fat you have the harder an ultrasound is to do)
    I've heard women comment on large women with newborns with remarks along the lines of "how is she ment to keep up when the child gets older, I wonder if the child will end up fat"

I've had an overweight friend tell my daughter to run after her son because she physically couldn't. When I pointed out that wasn't a good thing, her reply was that some people are just meant to be fat

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Well personally, when I see a super-obese pregnant woman (really, how do you tell???) I have a stigma to it. I think it's quite frankly child abuse. And I see obese women in the grocery store buying poor quality food for their children. It makes me so sad.

The stigma isn't as prominent as smoking, though. I mean, 67% of the US is overweight or obese. It's acceptable and actually normal to be overweight when pregnant; you see the pregnant woman on TV eating ice cream and think it's just the normal, healthy way to have a pregnancy. It's the slender people that get most of the shaming; like "you should eat more, you're eating for two!"

But as long as you're a non-smoker, it's okay.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of overweight people here in South-America also, but not THAT kind of overweight as I see in the US! Holy Grok, visiting Walmart is like entering a Sumo wrestling club house; gigantic obese people everywhere…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Plenty of overweight people here in South-America also, but not THAT kind of overweight as I see in the US! Holy Grok, visiting Walmart is like entering a Sumo wrestling club house; gigantic obese people everywhere…
    It's definitely becoming more acceptable to be fat; on the one hand, it's a good thing because people should not be shunned. But the increasing denial of it as a health issue is disconcerting. I follow another website and there are very obese people who cling to this concept that because they are 20something and don't have any illness, that carrying 150-200 lbs extra is not unhealthy. Carrying that much extra fat is a sign something is wrong, be it your diet,thyroid, food allergies.... but something is not right.

It gets so emotionally charged though and made into a moral issue- hell, you might be 300 lbs because you have a nightshade allergy or a chemical imbalance.

Those pics posted earlier of people who weren't "fat" well, they looked fat. It didn't mean they weren't unattractive.... they just carry excess fat that the removal of could help improve health. Denying that or claiming those bodies are as healthy as say, Mr Anthony's is silly.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    This has been my experience. The prices are cheap, but I've been avoiding Walmart as much as possible because it's so depressing. Each time I go there, I see an obese person riding a motorized scooter every few aisles.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast