Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC = dehydration?? page

Saosin80 is offline Junior Member

VLC = dehydration??

Primal Fuel
    I have been searching the forums to see if anyone else is having this problem but I can't seem to find anything. I have been vlc for about a month and a half trying to get rid of some stubborn belly fat. The only carbs I've been getting are from broccoli, brussels sprouts and heavy cream. Since going vcl I have had the driest mouth, my lips are all cracked and now I've got dandruff and I never get dandruff! I have been chugging down water but that doesn't seem to help at all. I also added in some blueberries for the carbs but that doesn't seem to help either. I see a lot of people on these forums that keep their carbs really low but don't seem to be experiencing this problem at all. I don't know if I should just raise my carbs again with fruit or will my body eventually get used to this? I feel like I'm doing something wrong since my whole body feels so dried out. Right now I can barely swallow because my mouth is so dry, ahh!

mstrudle is offline Member
    The breakdown of protein results in urea, a nitrogenous waste product your body NEEDS to get rid of because it is acidic and the blood must be within a very narrow pH range. Therefore excessive protein acts a diuretic, so you will need to drink more water.

You are probably underestimating your water consumption, so make like the Marines and "hydrate!"

Quote Originally Posted by mstrudle View Post
    The breakdown of protein results in urea, a nitrogenous waste product your body NEEDS to get rid of because it is acidic and the blood must be within a very narrow pH range. Therefore excessive protein acts a diuretic, so you will need to drink more water.

You are probably underestimating your water consumption, so make like the Marines and "hydrate!"
    How much water should I be drinking? Sometimes I drink to the point of my urine turning white. I figured I must be drinking enough if that's happening. Anyone else that is vlc, how much do you drink?? I feel like all the water in the world won't help my constant dried-out ness :P

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Couple of thoughts...

I didn't know heavy cream had carbs.

What's your fat intake? It seems that fat, rather than water, plays more of a roll in skin/hair health. If you're not getting adequate fats your skin, hair and nails suffer. What are your fat sources?

Maybe you're getting too much water and flushing your system too much?

Just my 2 cents.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    Strange...are you taking any meds? I know some SSRI's can cause dry mouth...but idk about dehydration...if you've been very low carb (under 20 carbs) for a while you might benefit from a carb load...not sure if that would help you rehydrate but it might be worth a shot...

For me I usually get extremely thirsty for the first few days after getting into ketosis but then it goes away and I only drink when thirsty...

I think the carbs in heavy cream are negligible so I guess I shouldn't have listed the cream as a source. I just use a lot some days. I feel like my fat intake is quite adequate though. I use plenty of Kerrygold butter, 70% lean grass fed burger which is about 44 grams of fat for 6oz of burger. Usually eat eggs in the morning with bacon. Steak for dinner most nights with some veggies with butter. My other sources are salmon, avocados, coconut oil. I know I get well over 100 grams a day of fat. I suppose I could be drinking too much water but I'm always so thirsty and my mouth is always so dry so I feel I need to drink constantly....The only med I'm on is prednisone but right now it's only 1.25 milligrams which is such a tiny dose so I wouldn't suspect that to be the culprit but maybe I'm wrong?? Maybe a carb load is in order. I feel like I've been doing vlc long enough to have adapted but something is keeping me extremely dehydrated. I feel good otherwise, so confusing!!

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Couple of thoughts...

I didn't know heavy cream had carbs.

What's your fat intake? It seems that fat, rather than water, plays more of a roll in skin/hair health. If you're not getting adequate fats your skin, hair and nails suffer. What are your fat sources?

Maybe you're getting too much water and flushing your system too much?

Just my 2 cents.
    This

VeggieToCarnivore is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to primal (about day 6) and I noticed that I am REALLY thirsty too. I gulped a litre and a half on the way home from work the other day and I don't normally even drink that much in one day.

However, I have been on prednisone quite a bit and it can cause extreme thirst and urination. Even if you've been on it for a while could it be a combo of VLC and prednisone? Just a thought.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saosin80 View Post
    Since going vcl I have had the driest mouth, my lips are all cracked and now I've got dandruff and I never get dandruff! I have been chugging down water but that doesn't seem to help at all. I also added in some blueberries for the carbs but that doesn't seem to help either......I feel like I'm doing something wrong since my whole body feels so dried out. Right now I can barely swallow because my mouth is so dry, ahh!
    You're not dehydrated. The dry lips, seborrheic dermatitis etc are nutrtional deficiencies - most likely of some b complex vites, zinc, vitamin D.

some of my links below might be helpful (and in my sig line)....pm if you need more help...i might have more time next week

iron deficiency, b vitamin deficiencies, zinc deficiency
    http://exfoliativecheilitis.com/ (dry dry lips)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_cheilitis (dry cracked corners of the mouth)

riboflavin deficiency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin (bright red dry cracked lips)

b vitamin deficiencies, zinc deficiency and vitamin D deficiency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrh...is#Supplements

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    You're not dehydrated. The dry lips, seborrheic dermatitis etc are nutrtional deficiencies - most likely of some b complex vites, zinc, vitamin D.

some of my links below might be helpful (and in my sig line)....pm if you need more help...i might have more time next week

http://exfoliativecheilitis.com/ (dry dry lips)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_cheilitis (dry cracked corners of the mouth)

riboflavin deficiency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin (bright red dry cracked lips)

b vitamin deficiencies, zinc deficiency and vitamin D deficiency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrh...is#Supplements
    I would be surprised if it was a nutritional deficiency. I eat plenty of red meat which I thought contained b vit's and iron, zinc. I also take a b-complex vitamin, along with vitamin d. I will definitely look into it though, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast