Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial sweeteners are bad why? page

Nellodee is online now Senior Member

Smile Artificial sweeteners are bad why?

Shop Now
    Just read this post in another thread, but didn't want to derail so here we are!

Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I'm in Starbucks studying for college final exams, and a reasonably fit guy and his girlfriend just came in. When the barista asks what they want, he says he'll go for a "Sweet N'Low Frappuccino with sugar-free syrup and whip" because "his girlfriend is watching out for [his] health." I swear my eyes rolled to the back of my head.

Seriously, a saccharin-sweetened cup of grossness, with sugar-free nasties to boot? If he was really watching out for his health, he wouldn't have to compromise taste. I swear on heavy cream lattes (which are out of this world, btw) on the off occasion I need something with a little more oomph than black coffee.
    So. This is something that seems like common sense. Artificial sweeteners are bad. But why?

And I know you're all gonna yell at me to google, which I will if I feel I need to after this thread. But what's wrong with a little educational conversation between friends, right?

My mom was instructed not to drink diet soda when she was pregnant with me, but only because the doctor said not enough research had been done on it at the time. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject beyond the "it's common sense!" thing.
    token vegetarian

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    In a nutshell, it tells your body that it just took in a bunch of food/sugars and makes it go haywire trying to deal with those, but then no real food or nutrition comes in. Also, some of the chemicals have been linked to making your weiner fall off.*

*this statement has not been verified by the FDA.

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    Well, who needs wieners anyway? xD
    token vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    In a nutshell, it tells your body that it just took in a bunch of food/sugars and makes it go haywire trying to deal with those, but then no real food or nutrition comes in. Also, some of the chemicals have been linked to making your weiner fall off.*

*this statement has not been verified by the FDA.
    I have verified it anecdotally.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Sweet coffee is gross anyway, sugar, honey, stevia, Aspartame, sucralose or whatever! High quality coffee should not be added anything at all, but I like to enjoy some artificial sweetened Jell-O along with the black nectar! And yes I have abused LOTS of artificial sweeteners since the late seventies, and my health is still excellent! But God forbid, I don’t sweeten or fatten my coffee…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Haven't studies concluded that people that use artificial sweeteners eat more calories?

All I know for sure is that artificial sweeteners make me feel sick and I have broken out in hives before because of them

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Primal Husker is offline Member
    I have not given up Diet Pepsi during my change and weight loss. It doesn't seem to have impacted me. I only have 1-1.5 per day. I won't give it up.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Tastes like chemicals and has no redeeming value (As opposed to things like Creatine or BCAA's that taste like chemicals and actually do something for you). Also, reinforces the "sweet tooth" for highly sweet things, which many of us have observed to go away completely or nearly completely when not eating such unnaturally sweet things any more.

My biggest issue with them personally is that there's some evidence many of them have adverse effects on gut bacterial populations. I find, anecdotally, that they screw up my near perfect digestion for days.
    The Champagne of Beards

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Too many factors to make a blanket statement over an entire population. Age, state of health, individual sensitivities, and perhaps, most important: amount.

Just like putting a teaspoon of sugar in a cup or two of coffee or tea a day isn't the same as packing back a bag of Reese's minis each day, a couple of drops of stevia in a cup or two of coffee or tea per day isn't the same as replacing good old water with diet soda.

For a person who is trying to get away from processed foods, the "artificial" in "artificial sweetener" tells the whole story.

Just my take.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    They can have adverse neurological effects and irritate your gut. I know personally aspartame gives me an instant headache and Splenda causes gastrointestinal upset. I also can't get past the aftertaste, which is enough of a turnoff for me, even stevia. If you tolerate them, then they're probably ok in moderation but I think sugar and other forms of it are superior and worth the few extra calories to avoid that taste. Blech.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast