Thread: Greetings! page

MarkRose is offline Member

Greetings!

Primal Fuel
    So I've been posting a bit, so I figured I should go ahead and give a bit of an intro.

I'm Mark, I'm 28, I'm 6' tall, and I'm excited. For my whole teenage and adult life, I've always been heavy. I did manage to get down to around 210 a couple times in my life, but I'd always be hungry.

After stumbling across the primal topic on lewrockwell.com, I started reading more and bought The Primal Blueprint book. For the first time, it all made sense. I had always tried to eat healthily according to the Standard American Diet (it's the same in Canada), but I never did feel "right" eating like that. That, and I had already been starting to avoid the chemicals added to processed foods due to allergic reactions (artificial sweeteners and colours especially).

So it's been three weeks. The carb cravings were difficult in the beginning (I ate little fat in my diet), but I'm slowly adapting. I'm probably getting around 150 g/day now, aiming to get it under 50 g/day in the next week or two. For me, the hardest part is finding low carb options for lunch. I may start just not eating lunch all together. Anyway, I've already noticed a huge difference in feeling better, plus having more consistent energy levels throughout the day. I've lost 5 pounds already, too.

So while I've been as high as 318, I'm currently around 285, and I'm working towards about 185, then on building muscle. I hope to reach there by next summer.

Other than that, I'm pretty easy going and nerdy. I love learning new things.

Cheers!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the Tribe, officially.

PB really is the way to go. I have completely quit eating lunch and it's working fine for me. I don't have to carry anything to/from work if I don't want to, no pre-planning, no extra cooking or dirty dishes. It's just convenient all the way around.

Congrats on dropping your first 5 pounds! It certainly won't be your last.

chia is offline Senior Member
    lots of great ideas in the recipe section here. One of my favourite, EASY fast meals that I like for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner is a bacon/avacado/egg mash. The only prep is having boiled eggs in the fridge and bacon pre-cooked if you need this ahead of time. I have it with rice, chopped finely like rice and red peppers chopped the same. It is filling, fabulous, nutritious, and delicious.

Eating right takes a bit of prep a times, but once it becomes a habit, it's effortless.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Welcome fellow Canuck!

ugh.... the Canada Food Guide....

If you aren't able to skip lunch every day, there are lots of options which require minimal prep -- canned fish (mmmm.... sardines.... if you can handle them), salads with meat, what chia mentioned (sans rice). Skip the grains and you'll do just fine. And ditto what chia said re: once you know the ropes, it's pretty easy.

Best wishes for your journey....

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Welcome to the Tribe, officially.

PB really is the way to go. I have completely quit eating lunch and it's working fine for me. I don't have to carry anything to/from work if I don't want to, no pre-planning, no extra cooking or dirty dishes. It's just convenient all the way around.

Congrats on dropping your first 5 pounds! It certainly won't be your last.
    Thank you! I'm thinking of doing just that. As my energy levels have been stabilizing, I don't feel the need for lunch so much. And it's certainly more convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    lots of great ideas in the recipe section here. One of my favourite, EASY fast meals that I like for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner is a bacon/avacado/egg mash. The only prep is having boiled eggs in the fridge and bacon pre-cooked if you need this ahead of time. I have it with rice, chopped finely like rice and red peppers chopped the same. It is filling, fabulous, nutritious, and delicious.

Eating right takes a bit of prep a times, but once it becomes a habit, it's effortless.
    That sounds great. I'm not usually a fan of cooking. I usually leave it until I'm hungry! It's just not my thing, although I love food (the eating part at least).

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    Welcome fellow Canuck!

ugh.... the Canada Food Guide....

If you aren't able to skip lunch every day, there are lots of options which require minimal prep -- canned fish (mmmm.... sardines.... if you can handle them), salads with meat, what chia mentioned (sans rice). Skip the grains and you'll do just fine. And ditto what chia said re: once you know the ropes, it's pretty easy.

Best wishes for your journey....
    I think the skipping lunch thing will be okay. We'll see how it goes!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, and I just committed to doing a 150 km (95 mi) charity ride in early June. http://www.conquercancer.ca/

They've done it over two days though. So my plan is to ride all the way back on the second day, after that day's ride. So a 75 km then a 225 km ride.

In 2006, I did a mostly-flat 100 km charity ride in 3.5 hours. I was about 215 lbs, and I just jumped on the bike and did it. Man was I sore after. I should be able to get that time under 3 hours pretty easily if I lose the weight and get some saddle time, as it was soreness not fatigue that slowed me down. I think 2.5 hours is reachable for me.

Time to start training!