Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lebanese Food - A great paleo/primal option when eating out or in a hurry! page

Mr. Ted is offline Junior Member

Lebanese Food - A great paleo/primal option when eating out or in a hurry!

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else here realized the utter joy and beauty a good Lebanese restaurant offers someone in the Paleo/Primal lifestyle?

If you are looking for a healthy option when eating out, try a Lebanese place.

I usually order a chicken shawarma platter - roast chicken off a spit, lettuce, tomato, pickle, cabbage, beets, onion, garlic cream, tahini, a bit of hummus (a bit isn't bad, lots might be) or some fatoush salad.

Just say no to the pita bread, and drink lots of water and tea.

Talk about satisfaction - crisp roasted chicken contrasted with smooth white cool garlic cream, smothered in tahini, or steak shish tawook, or lamb, or beef on a spit....

*makes Homer Simpson eating noises*

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    See the resistant starch thread for more reasons why Lebanese (and Uyghur, Berber, Persian, Irish, British, etc.) traditional food is largely good. I, for one, am not afraid of hummus. Heck, even Ray Peat said a little hummus now and then is OK.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 06-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

Cavedude is offline Senior Member
    sounds delicious. i've never had Lebanese food before. def have to put that on the ol' "To Eat" list!
    "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, middle eastern food is the stuff.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We had homemade primal middle eastern food for dinner tonight: keftas with fresh mint, homemade hummus, marinated roasted peppers on homemade GF naan.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Only had shawarma once. Twas good. The beauty of food from that region is that nearly every dish can be made without the inclusion if grains/bread. As well as being frighteningly simple to make.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ted View Post
    Anyone else here realized the utter joy and beauty a good Lebanese restaurant offers someone in the Paleo/Primal lifestyle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    The beauty of food from that region is that nearly every dish can be made without the inclusion if grains/bread. As well as being frighteningly simple to make.
    It can be, but is it, in a restaurant setting?

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member

Lebanese Food - A great paleo/primal option when eating out or in a hurry!

[QUOTE=eKatherine;1492755]It can be, but is it, in a restaurant setting?[/

In my opinion, recipes are as traditional in restaurants as they are at home, at least in Persian restaurants. Persians are immensely proud of their traditions and culture, and food is no exception.
    I started the 'mecca of middle eastern foods' thread a while ago, so if you're curious to know what goes in some of the more popular dishes, it's worth a look.
    Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 06-05-2014 at 08:05 AM.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ted View Post
    If you are looking for a healthy option when eating out, try a Lebanese place.
    I was at an Egyptian buffet once, I think the menu is similar. Lamb shanks, grilled shrimp, olives. The wheat used in taboulleh doesn't seem to bother me, plus a little dolma and (wonderfully seasoned) pilaf. There were mountains of bread of course but easily separated.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post
    I, for one, am not afraid of hummus. Heck, even Ray Peat said a little hummus now and then is OK.
    Homemade perhaps, but most commercial versions use soy/canola in place of olive oil. Not sure which restaurants use.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It can be, but is it, in a restaurant setting?
    In my opinion, recipes are as traditional in restaurants as they are at home, at least in Persian restaurants. Persians are immensely proud of their traditions and culture, and food is no exception.
    I started the 'mecca of middle eastern foods' thread a while ago, so if you're curious to know what goes in some of the more popular dishes, it's worth a look.
    That doesn't sound promising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast