Thread: Confused about Synthetic Thyroid vs Compounded thyroid meds page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Confused about Synthetic Thyroid vs Compounded thyroid meds

I have been using compounded medication for years but it sort of seems to have stopped working as well. I have posted many times recently about my thyroid issues and my weight just keeps creeping up, no matter how low carb I go or moderate carb. I have tried exercising a lot, not exercising, HIIT, weights etc and my weight still goes up.

My question today is if its good to switch to Synthroid and Cytomel instead of compounded. My dosage on compounded is quite high and my new endocrinologist thinks compounded is a bunch of BS and wants to put me on a new, much lower dose. Does the medication dosage translate exactly to what the dosage would be for synthetic? Or do I have be concerned now about the much lower dose.

Anyone have experience with synthetic vs compounded? I tried armour and did not like it.

I really need guidance with this! My doc wants to switch from 125mcg/150 mcg of t3/t4 compounded to 5 mcg twice a day of t3 and 125 mcg of synthroid. I really don't know what to do since this seems like a huge dosage change but she doesn't believe in compounded.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Does sound like a huge change. Hope you get some answers from those in the know. I would be concerned myself. The dose you are on is pretty high to start, I know you can get hypo symptoms sometimes if you are actually too high. Maybe something is missing causing you to not absorb properly? just guesses from me I am afraid. After a long time I ended up stable at 45 mcg T3 only, compounded twice a day. Not sure it is perfect but we shall see. I will have a full panel done soon. Have you had a full panel? something like this Thyroid Hormones | Meridian Valley LabMeridian Valley Lab My Naturopath wants me to do this to get the full picture. Sounds like working in the blind right now.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Thanks so much. I am working with a great doc who practices more biological medicine and I think I have done every single test out there at this point. I am just hesitant to switch to synthetic because of the much lower dose. I feel like a lot of doctors don't really understand that TSH isn't the most important marker on the test results.

I also have been wondering if I have become a bit resistant to my medicine because of weight gain over the year. But there are so many other factors that I probably am not considering.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Why not just try it and see how you feel? At this point it sounds like you feel like the meds you're taking are not working, so I would give it a try. I'm on Synthroid and Cytomel, my doc is still adjusting the dosage based on symptoms and labs. When it comes to thyroid issues I feel like it's so complex and everyone responds differently to treatments it is one area I have to trust my doc.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I really need guidance with this! My doc wants to switch from 125mcg/150 mcg of t3/t4 compounded to 5 mcg twice a day of t3 and 125 mcg of synthroid. I really don't know what to do since this seems like a huge dosage change but she doesn't believe in compounded.
    What does 125mcg/150mcg of t3/t4 mean? Is the 125/150 the total for both T4 and T3?

You could start with the dose recommended, retest FT4 and FT3 in 4-6 weeks and tweak the dose of one or both of the meds to get to your "sweet spot".

Also you do not have to take synthroid as your T4 med. There are other options. I take a generic T4 made by a certain manufacturer because it's the same as a brand name T4 med I took for years and did well on.

As I have said more than once being over medicated can cause weight gain. And thinking that thyroid hormone replacement= weight loss is, IMO, and an exercise in futility.

You really need to take weight off the table. Find the right meds, get on a dose that lets you get above midrange for both FT4 and FT3 then stay there for a while. Symptoms can lag behind good test results by a few months.

Weight loss did not happen for me until I was optimally medicated and I let my body heal. That healing took about six months.