Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb athletes? page

Low carb athletes?

Primal Fuel
    This is a rather compelling post that explains why I feel like shit! It appears high intensity athletes like lifters, sprinters, people doing explosive movements need more carbs.

I think I have been overdoing it and despite what any experts say about running on fat, no matter how many nuts, sardines and mackerel I eat, or how much in general I eat for that matter, I still feel drained, muscle fatigue would come so easily God dammit.

Its because the ultra low carb is healthy for desk jockeys who get no exercise. Im not saying their lifestyle is good or bad, im saying low carb suits their muscles lack of need for aggressive intense contraction. Its also a sweet and long lasting fuel for endurance athletes and it is well documented that fat can sustain a marathoner just as well if not better than carbs.

However, them muscles need that glucose for explosive POWER. Do not fear the carbs! As long as its not bread or sugar in the tea thats obviously not what I mean...I mean Im going to substitute some fats for some root veggies back into my diet and maybe eat some more fruit. Making sure I stay in calorie deficit.

If anyone already already knew this I guess its kind of obvious when you think about it now I feel silly.... But I was totally sucked in by the primal and paleo dogma which is FUCK CARBS YOU SUGAR BURNER, FAT FAT FAT, FEEL TIRED? CARB FLU MATE IT WILL BE OVER ONCE YOU'VE MADE THE SWITCH!

Hope this helps anyone feeling the supposed carb flu, which is actually your nervous system crying for help...or more specifically, carbs.

Peace x
    We are all on different paths to the same destination

Forgot to post through post that inspired the post
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/diet-tip...ds/#more-14073

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Training hard on low carbs has been tried over and over and over again; it doesn’t work for athletic performance! If you keep intensity very low it can done with inferior athletic results, but what’s the point about doing that? It’s not only about glycogen/glucose but also about electrolytes and water balance; low carbs will dry you out for sure…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Primal and paleo dogma isn't low carb. It's a small group of people who are stuck in the "if some is good, then more (less) is better" mentality. Marks carb curve is hogwash and that's been widely accepted here by many for quite a long time. Primal/paleo is a low toxin diet, not a low carb diet

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    I certainly felt better once I put rice and potatoes back in my diet. I was so sluggish and my lifts were suffering. Now I incorporate more fruit and rice and potatoes as desired. And when I need to knock back weight, I maintain a caloric deficit. Works for me physically and psychologically I'm happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPattinson View Post
    It appears high intensity athletes like lifters, sprinters, people doing explosive movements need more carbs.
    That's right.
    Don't let any low-carb disciples tell you differently.

How does everyone here measure their carb intake? If at all? With packet foods its easy, it tells you grams of each macro, approximately.... but the only stuff I eat out of packets is nuts, what about the many fruits and veggies, do you just Google the nutrition of everything you eat and write it down? There must be a more efficient way to know surely

Steady is offline Senior Member
    I think in the beginning when people are just starting out with this lifestyle then low carb is a great idea, but then yeah, as you DP and others have said, once you get to the point of doing heavy lifting and sprints and other such athletic activities on a regular basis you need those carbs.

I think also that people get confused between not eating carbs and not eating crap.

Personally I'm only just starting (well, 12/14 weeks ago) to add more carbs back in to my diet, root vegetables mainly but I'm gonna crack on with some white rice as of Monday.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I don't want to be weighing out potatoes for the rest of my life so I have a simple rule. If I have been to the gym or in the half-hour before I eat carbs and days when I haven't I don't. Works pretty well for me. It's also a nice reward on leg day knowing that you can get home and demolish a whole bowl of Jersey Royals with a juicy steak.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Steady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think MaceyUK's approach is a good one. Thats what I've been doing (except I have a thing for sweet potato and butternut squash).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast