Thread: Cholesterol curiosities page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Cholesterol curiosities

Shop Now
    I ate a minute amount of food an hour before test (1/16 slice of cheese and a chunk of sundried tomato.) It was a sample at the market and I didn't even think about it. My LDL is odd. How much of a difference would that minute amount of food made?
    Total: 246 mg/ dl
    HDL: 74 mg/ dl
    trig: 60 mg/ dl
    LDL (Freidwald) 160 mg/ dl
    LDL: (Iranian): 56?! mg/ dl

Could the food have done that much?! Did I miscalculate? My ratios look nearly ideal: Total/ LDL= 3.2, trig/ HDL= 0.81, LDL/ HDL (Iranian)= 0.23?!, LDL/ HDL (Friedwald)= 2.16

I'm just thoroughly confused by the LDL coming out so radically different.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nice HDL, that's what really seems to matter. LDL is a tricky one. Could be that you're just controlling inflammation well and you have decreased need for it. I have pretty low LDL but high HDL and I put butter, tallow, and coconut on everything. There is definitely more to it than meets the eye. But HDL is seemingly very important, as are some of the smaller subfractions of LDL which you may or may not have.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Yeah, I'm really happy about the HDL. Just wondering if my results were affected by that teensy bit of food.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Did some research. Apparently, eating can mess with your trigs, which is why they have you fast. My question is still whether than minute amount of food actually had that effect or not. I want to know if my levels are actually that good, or if it's a false positive.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Eating can affect trigs since when we eat a lot of carbs some of them get immediately packaged as trigs to be stored as fat. I'm not so sure that HDL or LDL can be drastically influenced by a bit of cheese and tomato, but I can't say for sure.

I wish Grokologist was a magic science genie. Then we could have definitive answers 24/7 . Anyone else know?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Staffie is offline Junior Member
    Check your Iranian formula. I calculated it to be 133.1 = 206.7 + 31.6 - 67.2 - 38 I have no idea if your inadvertent snack would have skewed the results.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It's not odd really, it's b/c your trigs are so low. If the food affected triglycerides in this case, they'd be higher. So it's unlikely the food had an effect.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

whups, missed the 1. New ratios: total/ HDL: 3.32, trig/ hdl: 0.81, ldl/ hdl: 1.8
    All still good, but the numbers make more sense now.
    My Primal Battle Tome

PrimalCon New York
    Cilla, I got to thinking about it and realized that less than a gram of any of the macros and less than 10 calories could NOT have made any impact worth mentioning. I think I'll take my happy numbers and wander off now.
    My Primal Battle Tome