Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Oh Why do I have to be different.... page

bpmcadoo is offline Member

Why Oh Why do I have to be different....

Shop Now
    Let me introduce myself, 5'2" 140 lb. 42 year old female with a new desk job. Before this I was a stay at home mom who was constantly on her feet. Without intending to I at least knew on some level that a primal like diet was best, not that I heeded my own advice at all times. I sought to cut out grains, potatoes, and corn. I did eat hummus like it was a food group and some quinoa as well since I didn't know any better.

My weight has always been something I struggle with; I am currently squeezing into a size 8. I was a competitive ice skater until college and love to exercise, but I seem to gain muscle with lightning speed and never lose the fat. One of the main reasons I have sought a healthy lifestyle throughout my life is because I seem to be very sensitive to the estrogen produced by my fat. When my weight is higher I have a lot of issues.

ON to the different, I swear I do not have any of the side effects to a SAD diet that everyone bemoans on this site, except for weight gain. I really and truly wish I did! If I felt gross every time I ate desert it would be so easy not to partake. Do I just need to "will power" it for awhile until something kicks in?

Also, I seem to defy Paleo logic in that if I eat coconut oil, butter, bacon, liver sausage, etc. I gain weight, nuts as well. It seems like to my body there is no "good fat." Is this possible? I also love desert and cannot resist. Many people post that they have no desire for junk food... I am waiting with baited breath for this to happen for me.

And IF? I seem to be experiencing some success with this; I don't get hungry until between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; however, if I exercise fasted I become an eating machine all evening.

Any thoughts would be truly appreciated!!

Paul R is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest stopping the desert and grains for 14-21 days and learn what effect they have on you. I also thought they really had no effect on me until going cold turkey. I learned a lot about their effect and although not nearly as drastic as some here it did make it easier for me to understand that there are much better alternatives. My experience though is you have to go 100% for some amount of time to learn the effects. A little cheating or occasional treat is like a reset.

I would say I was very similar to you in that I had no trouble adding muscle and the fat stayed. I played competitive hockey until my mid 30's. There's a group of us guys here who I would call 'fit fat' as opposed to the 'skinny fat' Mark talks about, although I think you're the first woman I've read with a similar profile.

I'm not a betting guy, but if I had $100 to wager I'd bet if you went all in on the 21 day challenge you'd loose at least 10 pounds in that first three weeks.

Thank you Paul for letting me know I'm not nuts! I hadn't really thought about cutting my occasional crap out entirely for a longer time (I used to call Friday night "Fat Friday") so max time in between junk was one week. I haven't really given the 21 day challenge a look, but I am going to right now.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpmcadoo View Post
    Also, I seem to defy Paleo logic in that if I eat coconut oil, butter, bacon, liver sausage, etc. I gain weight, nuts as well. It seems like to my body there is no "good fat." Is this possible? I also love desert and cannot resist. Many people post that they have no desire for junk food... I am waiting with baited breath for this to happen for me.
    oils, butter, bacon, etc are extremely calorie dense. so if you're substituting those foods in place of things you used to eat like crackers, or whatever else, you're eating more calories and you're gaining weight. calories do matter. that doesn't defy any paleo logic.

as for desserts, choose things like high quality ice creams. limit it to a once a week thing. or perhaps try dark chocolate, but limit it to one square every day or two.

focus your meals around meats, vegetables, and quality carb sources. you'll be full and your desire for sweets will subside. desires for sweets are in your head. and remember, you're smarter than a donut.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Sometimes I really wonder if I am smarter than a donut!!!!

Just thought of one more thing..... Should I cut down significantly on the exercise and work on the food? It just seems like when I do exercise it just ramps up my appetite and cravings. Even like lets say the 25 minutes of Tabata I did yesterday..

Sometimes I really wonder if I am smarter than a donut!!!!
    well, you're smart enough to be on this forum. and you're smart enough to ask for help. that makes you smarter than the average person. and the average person is in a close race with a donut. you're doing alright...keep at it
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Just thought of one more thing..... Should I cut down significantly on the exercise and work on the food? It just seems like when I do exercise it just ramps up my appetite and cravings. Even like lets say the 25 minutes of Tabata I did yesterday..
    exercise will increase your appetite.

most people here would recommend a strength training program that will have you lifting weights a few days per week. if you don't have time or access to that kind of stuff, you could try working with mark's primal fitness plan or another bodyweight based plan that requires little or no equipment. you want to build/maintain your muscle mass, strengthen your bones and connective tissues and be a stronger person. conditioning work like sprinting or tabatas is really only needed once a week. and for the record, were you really doing true tabatas? if you were, i'm not sure how you could manage 25 minutes worth of tabata anything...

I did three rounds of 30 seconds all out effort with 15 seconds of rest of burpees, jump squats, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, skaters, high knees etc. I am one of those crazy people that over the winter was running intervals on my treadmill at a speed of 10+ with some sort of incline. I actually love doing them, but I truly could eat a cow about 4 hours later.

I did three rounds of 30 seconds all out effort with 15 seconds of rest of burpees, jump squats, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, skaters, high knees etc. I am one of those crazy people that over the winter was running intervals on my treadmill at a speed of 10+ with some sort of incline. I actually love doing them, but I truly could eat a cow about 4 hours later.
    true tabata protocol is 20 seconds of all out exercise followed by 10 seconds rest. repeat so that you've done it 8 times. total of 4 minutes. if you're doing it correctly, you CAN'T do any more than that.

nothing wrong with interval training in general. personally, i'd limit it to once or maybe twice a week.

and yes, you'll want to eat a cow afterwards.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast