Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruit and Fat Loss page

GaTo is offline Member

Fruit and Fat Loss

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys i'm a big fan of fruit... I eat it passionately. I stick to strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Every now and then i'll throw in an orange or a mango (i know i know but i'm from florida and its in moderation)

I do however stay well below the 100g carb mark (usually in the 50-60 range.)

My main goal with PB is fat loss. I understand that fruit is higher in sugar and can cause an unwanted insulin spike. My question is will I have to worry about impeding my weight loss efforts by lovingly eating fruit. Be aware as well that i am also eating my veggies like steamed broccoli, fresh cucumber (my fav), and asparagus. I pretty much don't like most other veggies except for carrots.

What do you guys think?

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Well..how long have you been doing PB? Have you seen any changes yet? The best way to know if you can handle fruit is just listening to your body...As of right now I probably have a handful of blueberries (or strawberries) every other day or so and I'm still losing (I'm usually in the 30-40g carb range daily)..I'm definitely limiting it but I definitely think small amounts of berries are ok..you may have to lower it the closer you get to your goal when it gets harder to lose but for right now you are probably ok.
    Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 07-02-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: im the queen of typos.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

iamwubbzy is offline Junior Member
    If you're in the 50-60g range I'd say you are golden. I feel the same way about fruit; I typically eat berries but I loves me some plantains and mangoes and I haven't had any problem with weight loss. I find that when I'm eating real food my body tends to regulate how much to consume, so I enjoy what I want to enjoy.

GaTo is offline Member
    Ahh SheGlowsPale I love seeing your replies.. i get to see your profile pic every-time

back on topic lol...

Ive been PB gung ho for 3 weeks now (with a couple of slip ups on the weekends) i've dropped 10 lbs so far, and except for the mistakes on the weekends i haven't seen any weight gain. I'm eating as much as I can only when i'm hungry and I stop when i'm satisfied. I'm really trying to up the fats (currently average in the 50-60%) range. I'm also working on raising my protein level. I average about 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week.

So for now i'm seeing results. I just hope i never have to give up my fruits

thanks for the response wubbzy!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I've been primal since early April. Initially I was craving fruit (and other sweets) but I have found that's just faded away. I'd keep the fruits limited and you will find over time that you won't crave them as much.

And, question for you: does "lovingly eating fruit" mean anything *in particular*? :-O

Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTo View Post
    Ahh SheGlowsPale I love seeing your replies.. i get to see your profile pic every-time

back on topic lol...

Ive been PB gung ho for 3 weeks now (with a couple of slip ups on the weekends) i've dropped 10 lbs so far, and except for the mistakes on the weekends i haven't seen any weight gain. I'm eating as much as I can only when i'm hungry and I stop when i'm satisfied. I'm really trying to up the fats (currently average in the 50-60%) range. I'm also working on raising my protein level. I average about 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week.

So for now i'm seeing results. I just hope i never have to give up my fruits

thanks for the response wubbzy!
    Stick to it and don't worry.

Fruits are not evil. No matter how hard anyone try to convince you that they are ''candies'', they are not.

As long as they are not the bulk of your food and that you are eating primal with lots of animal foods, you will be fine.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    One cup of nonfat flavored yogurt has the same amount of sugar as like 7 cups of strawberries or something - if the only sugar you are getting is fresh fruit, you are probably fine. I personally usually do 2 - 4 servings of fruit a day and that's been working great for me. But then again, I'm not one of the hard-cores and I don't have a ton more to lose. I am currently in S. America and there is no way I'm going to not eat mangoes, those things are amazing here.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    More or less fruit doesn't affect my weight loss at all. 2 servings, 10 servings, it's the same.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    I'm eating fruit daily (cherries, berries, watermelon, cantaloupe) and I'm still losing. I limit myself to 1-2 portions per day, though.
    ~Sandy

GaTo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I've been primal since early April. Initially I was craving fruit (and other sweets) but I have found that's just faded away. I'd keep the fruits limited and you will find over time that you won't crave them as much.

And, question for you: does "lovingly eating fruit" mean anything *in particular*? :-O

Well there are times when I prefer to lovingly eat fruit with the help of another

Quote Originally Posted by JeanPatrick View Post
    Stick to it and don't worry.

Fruits are not evil. No matter how hard anyone try to convince you that they are ''candies'', they are not.

As long as they are not the bulk of your food and that you are eating primal with lots of animal foods, you will be fine.
    Exactly thats what I gotta remember... moderation is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    One cup of nonfat flavored yogurt has the same amount of sugar as like 7 cups of strawberries or something - if the only sugar you are getting is fresh fruit, you are probably fine. I personally usually do 2 - 4 servings of fruit a day and that's been working great for me. But then again, I'm not one of the hard-cores and I don't have a ton more to lose. I am currently in S. America and there is no way I'm going to not eat mangoes, those things are amazing here.
    Wow thats quite the difference there when you explain it that way. I stick to about 2 cups of berries and either one whole orange or mango a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    More or less fruit doesn't affect my weight loss at all. 2 servings, 10 servings, it's the same.
    Hopefully i'll continue to stay in the same boat as you

Quote Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
    I'm eating fruit daily (cherries, berries, watermelon, cantaloupe) and I'm still losing. I limit myself to 1-2 portions per day, though.
    Bleh.. i still can't figure out why people like watermelon and cantaloupe... to me its as if the fruits flavor is being watered down... like watered down koolaid or something lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast