Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grains? page

wildema1 is offline Member

Grains?

Shop Now
    I was just wondering what is classified as a grain. I know wheat, corn, barley, quinoa, oatmeal and rice (the obvious ones). What about soy, rye, lentils and chickpeas? The lentils and chickpeas are classified as grain legumes. Are those off limits? There is only so much "googling" I can do before I am overwhelmed and in too deep. If anyone could post an extensive list or even just help me out with those ones, it would be WONDERFUL. Thanks so much.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Soy, lentils, and chickpeas are legumes which some people consider to be better than grains, especially gluten grains, but they still have tons of lectins, saponins, phytates, and all of the other junk. Soaking removes some of the toxins, sprouting removes some more, and fermentation removes some more but even then they are hardly health food. We tend to prefer vegetables and tubers.

Also soy is pretty damn poisonous. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert.html

Rye is a grain and a junky one at that.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Lessee:
    Wheat, barley, corn, oat, rye, rice, quinoa, soy, beans (including lentils), chickpeas... If it's a bean, pea, or seed of grass, it's not Primal.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I didn't think quinoa was a grain. It's high in carbs so you don't want it a lot, but I thought it was ok (Mark did a post on it). Also, wild rice is NOT a grain - I thought that was interesting. Legumes you want to stay away from as well as grains. Peas and peanuts in there too. HTH!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    This is a decent list of grains:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain

Rye is a grain.
    Lentils and chickpeas are legumes, which are also off-limits... though a while back Mark described them as being in the "ok" (to eat occasionally) category with things like chocolate, wine, etc.

I didn't know what soy was for sure, so I tried looking on wikipedia, which is usually a decent source if you want to know how something is technically classified. They call it an "oilseed" which I've never heard before in my life. =P Soy has some potentially harmful stuff in it too, so Mark advises against it, but he has mentioned eating some fermented soy on occasion (like tempeh and soy sauce).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    True wild rice isn't. Most of the American black rice isn't wild rice. Quinoa I lump into the grain/ bean category because of the carbs and phytates (? there's something else.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Thanks everyone for the prompt and VERY informative responses !!!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    The main difference with Quinoa is that in and of itself it is a complete protein. Yes you need to soak and rinse it to remove poisons, but unlike the other grains and legumes it doesn't need to be combined to form a complete food.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    The main difference with Quinoa is that in and of itself it is a complete protein. Yes you need to soak and rinse it to remove poisons, but unlike the other grains and legumes it doesn't need to be combined to form a complete food.
    But it is still a grain correct? SO it is off limits?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Some foods, like quinoa, don't have to be cut and dry "off limits" because of their label.

I know that if I absolutely had to utilize a grain, quinoa would probably end up being my choice after a good soaking.

I also know that I like some seeds, even though they are "off limits".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast