Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is civilisation really so bad? page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Is civilisation really so bad?

Primal Fuel
    This is a thought that I've found popping into my head a few times recently. I'll explain what I mean.

I keep coming across silly people in the "paleosphere" who talk as if civilisation were a kind of swear-word and a bad thing in itself. Rather like Oswald Spengler ( Philosophy of History (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) ) in reverse.

And, of course, hypocritically enough, this is expressed on various forms of electronic media.

As someone who does actually have a pretty wide reading background in history and who has been taught archaeology and anthropology by some highly regarded academics, I find most of this verbiage ignorant and ill-informed, inaccurate when it's not downright ahistorical, and in conceptual terms usually very shallowly thought-out, loosely expressed and as full of holes as a sieve.

Now I'm not throwing stones at the big Paleo names, who are rational and sensible on this issue. I can recall Rob Wolf saying many times that the Paleo Diet was not about trying to live like a "caveman" and that no one should regret the amenities of modern societies and the intellectual (and, I think he said, cultural) advances that have been made. I have no direct quote and no time to find one, so anyone who wants to verify that I'm not misrepresenting him will have to search his old podcasts himself. But that is the substance of what I recall his saying and I want to say "Good for him!" One might also add that the blossoming of individual life that occurred within European culture from about the late 12th century onwards -- nowhere perhaps more intelligently or elegantly shown and discussed than in Michael Oakeshott's writings:

Amazon.com: On Human Conduct (Clarendon Paperbacks): 9780198277583

-- is not something anyone who has any alive understanding of our own shared history and culture could cease to value or could speak against without a deep sense of shame.

That's not to say that to have lost the "warmth" of close communal life, despite its narrowness and repressions, enjoyed in earlier societies is not to have lost anything. It is. But the gains are very real. One thinks of those troubadours stepping out on the high road, saying this is the life for a man like me. ...

So to what brought this morning's post. I was listening to the news on the radio this morning. I usually avoid the news. It's never good, and I've come to the conclusion that it's best avoided. However, I was staying with family, so I had no choice. It was a short summary and there were four items, which came in this order:

1. Prospective Islamic judicial murder in Sudan;
    2. A moslem bomber trying to commit mass-murder by detonating himself outside a cafe in Syria;
    3. The rape and murder (it seems assisted by police) of girls considered as "low caste" by hindus in India;
    4. Coups and repression in Thailand.

One's tempted to say: "So much for the 'Third World'." But that, of course, would be an exaggeration. There will certainly be, for example, peaceful and mild-mannered peasants quietly tilling their fields in Bhutan. A somewhat better side of me suggests to me that perhaps this is what happens when people are attempting to live without The Father of Lights or are not, at least, groping towards Him.

But what I think one should say is this. Listen to the news some day -- or actually pay attention to it, because perhaps it tends to just flow over us -- and consider "Is civilisation really so bad?". Putting what Newton and Watt, Kant and Hegel, Bach and Mozart, Shakespeare and Goethe, Velasquez and Rembrandt, to take a few names almost at random, have given us aside, do you really regret individual freedom, representative government and the Rule of Law?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I have no freedom. If I try to live somewhere without being clocked into the system as a slave I can be incarcerated. The world is a prison, and nothing but. To be alive is to be trapped. Before people thought they owned everything, the world had potential.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, sure, it's because people are or aren't being religious, nothing to do with the individual at all.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Eich is offline Senior Member
    Tl;dr

jenna is online now Senior Member
    You know,I was interested until religion was brought into it. Lost me

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenna View Post
    You know,I was interested until religion was brought into it. Lost me
    Same here. The sampling of events and the conclusion seemed random.

Plenty of U.S. military consider themselves religious and know the "The Father of Light" and it hasn't stopped them from dropping bombs on innocent civilians.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    "Is civilisation really so bad?"

Perhaps we should try it and see.

Lame misquote I know. Some people like having power over others. Modern urban beurocratic systems give them different outlets to get power and exploit others, than feral human society does. Not better, not worse, just different.

Mr. Ted is offline Junior Member
    OP, you raise a very good point, one that is really a bit of a bugbear for me.

I studied history too, and continue to love and immerse myself in it, and have little tolerance for liberal self-loathing brutes who love to hate on Western civilization.

Western civilization is, to not put too fine a point on it, the absolute pinnacle of what humans have been able to achieve since the dawn of time. To deny this is foolish.

Is western civilization perfect? Hell no. But it's the best thing this world has ever seen to ensure the rights of women, of minorities, the rights of minors, the rights of most are heard and at least somewhat serviced.

Anyone who disses on modernity or "The West" is usually a misanthrope and I have little patience left for those who do.

Read The Rational Optimist. Read The Better Angels of Our Nature. Read any Enlightenment philosophy. It's all miles better than the silly irrational systems that predated it.

In fact, I will give you two examples so mundane, we probably never think of them, that make the West so successful for so many people.

1. Public health.
    2. Public education.

Now, the only thing I would add to your original post is that Secular Humanism is what we need to be focusing on, in my humble opinion. We have to move on from Bronze Age mysticism and magical thinking to something more rooted in the here and now. The best system to ensure high quality of life for people right now, and not in some imagined afterlife is modern, liberal (small "l", historical liberalism), democratic capitalism with a social consciousness.

As a Canuck, that's only slightly different from what most of all y'all have, but close enough for most of you to grok what I'm saying.

The only real failing of Western civilization is our industrialized food system.

It's for shit.

Mr. Ted

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the problem is that civilization these days seems to have reached this odd place where instead of things seeming to get better, it feels to a lot of people that things are getting worse. There is more pollution, there is less upward mobility, writing a letter to your congressperson or senator feels more and more futile, many people are deep in debt and haven't even begun their adult lives. It feels to many of us that the ties that bind clamp ever more tightly and the whole system is so tightly coupled it is hard to imagine a way to fix any of it. Were we to live in a different form of society where the food wasn't under lock and key, probably few of us would choose to live as we do.

The easy way to express this feeling of unease of course is to say civilization sucks and to dream of some golden age of the past or to wish we could start over and take a different path or even to dream of a doomsday when it'll all come undone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Civilization is an end product it contradicts nature and dominates it! Civilization will go under and die when it’s mature enough and then it will rot and decompose - values, religion and laws will be turned upside down and everything will go back to the state of nature where anarchy and bellum omnium contra omnes rules! After that it will all starts over again with a new civilization being born...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast