Thread: Shepherd's 30 day Re-up. (July) page

shepherd is offline Junior Member

Shepherd's 30 day Re-up. (July)

Primal Fuel
    I've jumped on and off and on and off too many times since finding the PB. I have 70-80 pounds to lose and I'm ready for it, darn it. My first step is to kick the grains and refined sugar.

Here's the plan:
    July 2- July 31st

- Eat only meat, eggs, cheese, veggies, and fruit
    - Drink primarily water

Eventually I want to phase out my diet soda habit, too. But right now I'm not ready to do that. I'm limiting myself to 2 a day. My next 30 day challenge (after this one is a huge success) is to pare back down on the soda.

I will update here every evening with how i did each day.

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
    Brunch: 3 cheddarwursts (no bun) and water
    Dinner: Chicken/Ranch/Cheese "Poor Man's Alfredo" and a diet Dr. Pepper
    Incidental: 1 other Dr. Pepper.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    I chose to sleep in instead of walking this morning. I apparently needed it.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Not today.

4. Run really fast every once in a while.
    Did not run fast today

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Probably about 11 hours of sleep. I love the summer.

6. Play.
    Rough-housed with the dogs.

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    No full-on sun today, but some incidental when taking the dogs out and going to and from places.

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    I avoided poisonous things.

10. Use your mind.
    Worked on lesson planning for Physical Science.

End of day 1 sum-up - This is going to get easier. I just need to keep telling myself that. Tomorrow, I'm heading out to game with friends. We will have lunch out somewhere. I will stay Primal. Friend is cooking ziti for dinner. I will be packing in my own food. This needs to happen. I will make it happen. Because once I get it rolling, it's so easy to keep doing because it feels right.
    In your face, Space Coyote!

Brunch: Double cheeseburger (no bun), a handful of fries
    Dinner: Whole grain rotini in tomato sauce with Velveeta, 2 cookies
    Incidental: 3 total - Sunkist Zero soda

30 minutes of walking outside in the morning sun.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Nope.

Did not run fast today

5. Get lots of sleep.
    About 9 hours of sleep.

6. Play.
    No physical play, but spent most of the day with mental play - D&D.

Some morning sun when walking.

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

I didn't avoid poisonous things today. Whole grain rotini, sauce that probably had HFCS, and Velveeta are definitely poisonous.

10. Use your mind.
    Played D&D all afternoon/evening (like 10 hours' worth).

End of day 2 sum-up - The moral of the story is - don't forget your food. I meant to bring my dinner since I knew ahead of time that pasta was the planned dinner. I did okay when we went out the Five Guys for lunch. But dinner at our friend's house - it's difficult to turn down home-cooked food. I still should have. I'm paying for it now - have a nagging headache that's probably due to the grain and fake cheese intake. (typing this the morning of Day 3).

Brunch: Sesame chicken and chicken-on-a-stick
    Dinner: 7 whole wings, 1 peach, 2 strawberries, 3 blackberries and cream. (fruit and cream is awesome!)
    Incidental: 2 diet sodas

Very little movement today aside from dog walking.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Nope.

Did not run fast today

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Overnight, I only got only 7 hours. But I ended up taking 1.5 hour nap.

6. Play.
    Fetch/chase with the dogs

Some morning sun when walking dogs.

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

No poison today! Yay!

10. Use your mind.
    Various conversations with the husband.

End of day 3 sum-up - And the recovery! Ate all Primal today and feel great about it. Have had a good day of downtime at home. Dessert was extra-tasty - organic strawberries and blackberries. Non-organic peaches. Cream. Yum!

Brunch: 3 bratwurst (no bun)
    Dinner: 1/2 lb of ground beef (as burger patties) with american cheese (real cheese), organic strawberries and heavy cream.
    Incidental: 3 Diet Pepsi's, 3 pieces of Ghirardelli 60% chocolate

30 minutes of walking the dogs this evening.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Kettlebell 50 complex - 15 two-hand swings, 10 one arm snatches each side, 15 two hand swings
    10 Australian pullups with feet propped (partial leg assistance)
    1 plank x 30sec
    5 girly pushups

Did not run fast today

5. Get lots of sleep.
    9 hours.

6. Play.
    Rough-housed with the dogs and husband.

30 minute walk outside at evening sun, but some incidental when going to and from places.

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

10. Use your mind.

End of day 4 sum-up - Feeling mostly good. I think my system is cleaning out the bad stuff - my bodily functions are a little wonky. (maybe still cleaning out the last remnants of the food poisoning from Wendys?). Good Primal food today again. Went out and bought some lunch meat, good provolone, and some bacon to eat tomorrow - trying http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2009/...ka-oopsie.html
    Oopsie rolls tomorrow. I hope they're tasty and serve as a good bread sub - sandwiches are probably what I miss the most. If they don't taste good, I'll be using romaine instead.

My husband and I had "the kids talk" again last night. This time it actually seems like "probably in 2 years" is accurate - we have some criteria that must happen first - certain debts need to be GONE, I need a more reliable vehicle, and we need to find a house to rent instead of this apartment. These are all very doable in 1-2 years, so hopefully we can start trying in Spring/Summer of 2012. *finger crossed*. While not a direct "must happen" with this, a "we're planning on it happening" is both of us slimming down to healthier proportions. Hopefully Primal will also help me control the PCOS and I'll be able to conceive without extra help. Here's to hoping!

Brunch: 3 cheddarwursts (no bun), small handful of pork rinds and french onion dip to accompany them.
    Dinner: 4 Primal "Tacos" - ground beef, bell pepper, onion, cheese on Romaine. Roast beef and 2 slices of american cheese.
    Incidental: 3 Diet Pepsis

Only walking in between sprints.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Feeling this from yesterday. Not a whole lot, but I'm aware of my back thanks to the KB swings.

I sprinted in the woods (horse trail next to the Multi-use trail). It was awesome! 5 sprints with walking in between. Sprints weren't long in duration by any means, but did get me breathing hard. Felt really good to let loose.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Probably about 9 hours of sleep.

6. Play.
    Rough-housed with the dogs. Sprinted in the woods pretending I was the MovNat guy.

Evening sun while sprinting.

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

10. Use your mind.

End of day 5 sum-up - Okay, I'll admit that sprinting is probably my least favorite primal activity. But today, it gained some capital. I decided to sprint on the horse trail next to the multi-use path instead of the concrete path itself. Once I got there, I picked a spot in the distance and let fly. I'd been watching videos about Pose Running and proficient runners today (which is what brought me to decide to sprint) and it felt flawless and effortless. My breathing told me otherwise, but I was going at a pretty good clip. (I'd call it more a tempo than a full-out sprint though...) It wasn't a sustainable pace, at any rate. It felt like true running... and it was in the woods. Perfect. (Even if it was only 5 sprints and no more than 20 minutes total including the walk intervals between).

Yesterday and today, I've been feeling like I'm getting more into it. The first couple of days were "Yeah, I know this is what I need to do, so I'm going to do it." Today especially, I feel like I'm meant for this. Normally I hate lettuce of all types (Spring mix or spinach for my salads, please) but I made Primal tacos with Romaine hearts for dinner and they were good. Yeah, I have lettuce burps, but they're not onerous like Iceberg lettuce burps of old. I'm aware of my back today thanks to the strength work yesterday, but it feels good. And the best part, I went to Target today to get stuff for lunch and didn't feel the slightest pang of "oooh want!" as I passed the bakery/deli. In fact, the little cookies that were bright green with pink icing and little black sprinkles looked nasty as all get out. Ew.

I'm sad I have to alter my sleeping schedule for a little while (starting tomorrow). I'm taking a class about an hour away starting on Monday and colleagues and I are carpooling to it. Meeting at 7 means that my summer usual wake up of around 7:30 won't do. Trying to push it back to 6 and be used to it before Monday. Of course, this does mean 1 of 2 things for me the rest of the week - naps (yay!) or earlier bedtime (also yay!). I love that this lifestyle recognizes the importance of sleep.

Brunch: 1/2 a roasted chicken
    Dinner: 1/2 lb ground beef in patty form, cheese. 2 pieces sourdough toast.
    Incidental: 3 Cherry Coke Zeros

No movement today

3. Lift heavy things.
    No lifting today.

No go fast today.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Probably about 11 hours of sleep.

6. Play.
    Rough-housed with the dogs. Sang "Let's name the zones, name the zones, name the zones of the Open Sea" song from Finding Nemo loudly and obnoxiously most of the evening. The dogs loved it.

Very little while I was taking dogs out

8. Avoid trauma.
    No injuries today.

I caved and had some sourdough bread.

10. Use your mind.
    Worked on lesson planning for Physical Science and Environmental Science

End of day 5 sum-up - Could have done better nutritionally. But could have done way worse, too. Today's been a big planning day, since I realized that I haven't really worked on planning for Environmental Science. The next 2 weeks are tied up all day every day (Training class next week, Team camp the following week). Then one week and we're into tryouts, practices, and pre-planning. Tomorrow's out for most of my planning since my husband is home and we're chilling together.