Thread: Defeating JET LAG page

Cavedude is offline Senior Member

Defeating JET LAG

Primal Fuel
    So I'm headed overseas and would like to minimize the effects of jet lag as much as possible. I've read that grounding/earthing (walking on grass w/ bare feet for a bit) soon after landing helps to re-align circadian rhythm with the local schedule. I've also heard that doing a workout as soon as possible after landing helps. Any other tricks, tips, suggestions, or advice on defeating jet lag?? Thanks cavepeeps.
    "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that sleeping grounded helps. Look into strategic (very limited!) use of melatonin supplements also to reset. I think the bulletproof executive did a post about it on his site a while back. You don't want to use melatonin all the time or you can become dependent on it, but it can be useful to reset your circadian rhythm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Thanks, I'll try and find the Bulletproof Exec post. good call on the melatonin.
    "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The best way to quickly acclimate yourself to the new time zone is to totally deprive yourself of sleep until the next bedtime. If you are heading to Europe on an overnight flight, do not DO NOT GO TO BED until bedtime the next night, no matter how tired you are. Drink coffee, walk, sight see, eat, anything you can do to keep yourself busy. Then set your alarm to make sure you wake up at the designated hour.

The strategy is the same if you're going in the opposite direction. If you decide to nap, before you go to bed resolve yourself to take only one hour of nap. Set your alarm and resolve to GET UP WHEN IT GOES OFF.

I have helped a lot of people get through jet lag. I also know many who suffer with it until they get back home, because they can't bring themselves to do what they have to do to get over it.

thanks for the advice. i actually tried that twice, both times to and from Asia. once it worked pretty well, the other time it just destroyed my immune system and i got sick, which made it all even worse. i appreciate the tip, but i'd like to try something that doesn't involve missing too much sleep.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Try hypnosis.

Glenview is offline Member
    I recently traveled to Asia for three+ weeks covering almost 30,000 miles. An experienced traveler on the trip had a tiny bottle of "Oxygen Drops". We put it in our water (not coffee or juice) every time we drank some (lots) in flight (9 flights total). We also kept to the local schedule wherever we landed with no naps. I was a skeptic, but it was amazing how did not have jet lag problems. It was some type of sodium solution, but it really worked. We also walked a considerable amount while there.

strange. i'll look into it. thanks.

ELizabeth826 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The best way to quickly acclimate yourself to the new time zone is to totally deprive yourself of sleep until the next bedtime. If you are heading to Europe on an overnight flight, do not DO NOT GO TO BED until bedtime the next night, no matter how tired you are. Drink coffee, walk, sight see, eat, anything you can do to keep yourself busy. Then set your alarm to make sure you wake up at the designated hour.

The strategy is the same if you're going in the opposite direction. If you decide to nap, before you go to bed resolve yourself to take only one hour of nap. Set your alarm and resolve to GET UP WHEN IT GOES OFF.

I have helped a lot of people get through jet lag. I also know many who suffer with it until they get back home, because they can't bring themselves to do what they have to do to get over it.
    This is always my strategy and I've never had a jet lag problem.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies