Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole100 for serious sugar addiction page

Whole100 for serious sugar addiction

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

New to the forum, been trying to eat paleo/primal as my way of life for a long time now and successfully completed a Whole30 in the past, and have felt amazing then and during other periods where I've completely cut out grains/sugar/etc. The last year was a rough one for me and my diet completely went out the window, and I can't seem to get back on track. I am hopelessly addicted to sugar/carbs and am at the highest weight of my life. For most of my adult life I'd been comfortably between 120-130 lbs (and feeling best closer to 120), but now am hovering at or above 145 most of the time. If I thought this was my healthy "set" point I would be ok with that, but a lot is abdominal fat and I feel sluggish and unhealthy, and I won't lie, upset that most of my clothes don't fit well anymore and that I'm not as slim as I'm used to being. It's a product of me caving and binge eating sugar/flour over and over - I've always had a hard time moderating it, but lately it seems I can't make it more than a few days without a serious binge no matter what I do.

I do think the structure of Whole30 was extremely helpful for me and I'm also working with a therapist right now who happens to specialize in addiction (which isn't why I'm seeing him in particular, but it's useful for this). He recommended cutting out the foods that are addictive to me for a much longer period, like 90-100 days, so I would like to follow Whole30 guidelines for that length of time. In the grand scheme of things I really don't mind the inconveniences associated with it if it gets me out of this horrific cycle. However, I need support!

Not a lot of folks in my day-to-day life exactly understand how much I struggle with carb addiction. So that's one issue, and another is that I truly am so uncomfortable at my current size so it's REALLY hard for me to not weight/measure and then restrict/tweak accordingly. I am pretty sure that for this 100 day period I need to JUST eat 3 meals a day at fairly set times (because my body has no clue anymore). I want to do what is best for my health and what will work in the long term, for the right reasons, but I also keep getting impatient and anxious that I won't lose the weight I've gained and be back at a size I'm uncomfortable at. I've been embarrassed to admit that before since I feel guilty that I'm not purely motivated by health, but I'm really unhappy with having this excess bodyfat on me and I need to have more faith that if I give my body what it needs, it will let go of this excess fat. I guess I also fear that I've messed up my metabolism to the point where it's going to be impossible to get rid of now. Finally, sugar withdrawal for me is HORRIFIC. The longest I've made it eating purely paleo (and I'm fairly certain I was eating enough calories/fat/etc) in the last year has been 9 days without caving. My cravings are EXTREME and trying to substitute with any sort of paleo-allowed food only makes them worse. So I think that getting through the first two weeks, or even 30 days, are going to be unusually tough.

So all that being said, I'm going to post daily food journals here along with workouts and what times I ate, etc. I welcome any advice and really appreciate you taking the time to read this! Thanks!!!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Woot! Good to slay the addiction demon. Hopefully you can add sugary fruits, etc., back in later in moderation.

i am confused about your reaction to giving it up. When you quit "sugar" are you also dropping starches?
    Last edited by Knifegill; 05-29-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    It may be helpful to give us an idea on what your version of paleo is?

The original paleo includes fruit, but some people's version don't.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your responses! So I think for now, I may steer clear of fruit until my cravings die down. I've had mixed reactions with starches. Cutting those out has obviously resulted in stronger withdrawal/carb flu. Sometimes though I feel like I have "abused" them a little bit to cure sugar cravings. Since I do like to workout in the mornings, I'm thinking what's most logical is to include a starchy vegetable with my dinners, but be cognizant to just eat a serving. I've wavered a lot with whether or not it's more helpful to err on the side of going lower carb to quell cravings or to not worry about carbs from starchy veggies & fruits so as to not feel so restricted starting out. I'm still not totally sure to be honest.

That being said, my reaction to quitting refined sugar/grains/flours either way still feels pretty extreme. I have a history of addiction in my family (drugs, alcohol), and no longer drink myself (though frankly sugar feels like a bigger problem for me than alcohol ever was!), so I am fairly convinced I have the physiology of an addict and this is beyond your typical carb flu. :-/

shuttlebug is online now Junior Member
    I'm basically in the same boat as you - always weighed around 125 at 5'5",until about 4 years ago when I started going into perimenopause and then retirement. All of a sudden, it seems, I was up to 145-150. I tried to cut calories, but I went about it all wrong, eating too much fruit and not enough fat. My metabolism is so slow that I can gain weight on a 1200 calorie diet, but I'm only borderline hypothyroid, so no meds yet. And I really want to keep it that way. I didn't realize how much sugar I was eating (from "healthy sources") until I cut my carbs down a few weeks ago. This morning my husband made the coffee a little too strong, so I put sugar in it. Now it tastes terribly sweet! I really hope this works for us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Good luck shuttlebug! Hopefully we can provide some mutual support. My mom is hypothyroid and my levels are still normal but creeping towards hypo VERY slowly it seems over the years, so I would also love to prevent that if at all possible. For now I want to focus on getting rid of sugar's very strong hold on me and hope fat loss is just a welcome side effect. And then I want to never get back to this point...

Pineneedles is online now Senior Member
    Hello,
    Wanted to wish you luck. I have similar sugar/wheat issues (other starches seem OK) and also alcohol addiction in the family which is probably connected, as you say. My binging was getting out of control this past winter and I really understand where you're coming from with wanting to get back to a weight and body fat level you are comfortable with. I don't think that's ultimately a separate goal from being healthy. What seems to be helping me right now is focusing on just how delicious all the good paleo/primal foods (by which I mean meat, fish, veg, etc not paleo sweets imitations) are! As well as trying to keep general stress levels down and getting enough sleep.

Will be here for support. You can do it!

Thanks so much for the support! Day 1 went pretty well. Was kind of in a funk which I think is partly the residual result of binging and poor sleep quality over the last week, but I ate 3 super healthy well-spaced meals:

MEAL 1: 2 eggs cooked in olive oil, bowl of Brussels sprouts w/ sea salt & pepper + blue-green algae kombucha (9:10am)
    MEAL 2: romaine salad w/ buffalo burger in coconut oil, radishes, grape tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, olive oil & sea salt (2:30pm)
    MEAL 3: 1 chestnut; brined pork chops pan fried in olive oil, Brussels sprouts, sauteed Swiss chard & garlic, sweet potato (7:00pm)
    workout: 1.8 mile run

Drinking more water & herbal tea this evening (I'm actually off caffeine as well - messed with my blood sugar and definitely with my sleep), and trying to go to bed nice and early!

shuttlebug is online now Junior Member
    Those look like really good meals! I've been too busy to prepare decent meals, though my macros are okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Thanks shuttlebug! I'm trying to start off with really good stuff so that I can get through the first weeks with as few cravings as possible, and make sure I eat enough! Just slept a glorious much-needed 11 hours too, ahh!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast