Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heart Association’s Junk Science Diet page

Scott F is offline Senior Member

The Heart Association’s Junk Science Diet

Primal Fuel
    "Science shows the low-fat diet to be BS, and yet the American Heart Association keeps touting it as the ‘heart healthy’ choice. Why? The quick answer: money, honey.

The dogma that saturated fat causes heart disease is crumbling.

A recent Cambridge University analysis of 76 studies involving more than 650,000 people concluded, “The current evidence does not clearly support guidelines that [recommend]… low consumption of total saturated fats.”

Yet the American Heart Association (AHA), in its most recent dietary guidelines, held fast to the idea that we must all eat low-fat diets for optimal heart health. It’s a stance that—at the very best—is controversial, and at worst is dead wrong. As a practicing cardiologist for more than three decades, I agree with the latter—it’s dead wrong.

Why does the AHA cling to recommendations that fly in the face of scientific evidence?"

Link The Heart Association

by Dr. Barbara H. Roberts - The Daily Beast
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, cardiologist recently gave to me. When docs recommend stuff like that or statins, I whip out a picture of me about 3 1/2 years ago, when I had just started primal. That tends to shut them up.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    My main takeaway is that these industry associations are very good at naming themselves to inspire deference. How many folks heed the AHA, AMA, USDA, etc. as vaguely public and benevolent authorities?
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    My main takeaway is that these industry associations are very good at naming themselves to inspire deference. How many folks heed the AHA, AMA, USDA, etc. as vaguely public and benevolent authorities?
    Obama Care will take industry influence on these government type institutions to a new level.

Think about it, 80% of the rising healthcare cost have been due to wrong headed dietary guidelines. But instead of correcting the mistake we are going to throw more money at the problem instead of admitting and correcting the mistake.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Obama Care will take industry influence on these government type institutions to a new level.

Think about it, 80% of the rising healthcare cost have been due to wrong headed dietary guidelines. But instead of correcting the mistake we are going to throw more money at the problem instead of admitting and correcting the mistake.
    I don't really think that extending health insurance to people who would be otherwise uninsured can be described as "throwing money at the problem instead of admitting and correcting the mistake".

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I don't really think that extending health insurance to people who would be otherwise uninsured can be described as "throwing money at the problem instead of admitting and correcting the mistake".
    The bill is a lot more complex than that. Lobbying will direct it. For example, look at who sits on the chair of the the USDA Six Reasons Why Obama Appointing Monsanto's Buddy, Former Iowa Governor Vilsack, for USDA Head Would be a Terrible Idea

saigafreak is offline Member
    "Science shows the low-fat diet to be BS, and yet the American Heart Association keeps touting it as the ‘heart healthy’ choice. Why? The quick answer: money, honey.

The dogma that saturated fat causes heart disease is crumbling.

A recent Cambridge University analysis of 76 studies involving more than 650,000 people concluded, “The current evidence does not clearly support guidelines that [recommend]… low consumption of total saturated fats.”

Yet the American Heart Association (AHA), in its most recent dietary guidelines, held fast to the idea that we must all eat low-fat diets for optimal heart health. It’s a stance that—at the very best—is controversial, and at worst is dead wrong. As a practicing cardiologist for more than three decades, I agree with the latter—it’s dead wrong.

Why does the AHA cling to recommendations that fly in the face of scientific evidence?"

Link The Heart Association

by Dr. Barbara H. Roberts - The Daily Beast
    Ahem...

Scientists Fix Errors in Controversial Paper About Saturated Fats | Science/AAAS | News

But even before the paper was published, other scientists began pointing out errors, says first author Rajiv Chowdhury, an epidemiologist at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. For instance, the authors took one study on omega-3 fats, one type of unsaturated fats, to show a slightly negative effect while, in fact, it had shown a strong positive effect. The correction means that the meta-analysis now says people who report eating lots of this particular fat have significantly less heart disease; previously, it said there was no significant effect.

Critics also pointed out two important studies on omega-6 fatty acids that the authors had missed. The errors "demonstrate shoddy research and make one wonder whether there are more that haven't been detected," writes Jim Mann, a researcher at the University of Otago, Dunedin, in New Zealand, writes in an e-mail. "If I had been the referee I would have recommended rejection."

Mann and others say the paper has other problems, too. For instance, it does not address what people who reduced their intake of saturated fats consumed instead. A 2009 review concluded that replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates had no benefit, while replacing them with polyunsaturated fats reduced the risk of heart disease. Several scientists say that should have been mentioned in the new paper.

Chowdhury says the paper's conclusions are valid, however, even after the corrections. Randomized clinical trials are the "hardest" kind of evidence, he says, and they don't show a significant effect of saturated or unsaturated fats. But even one of the paper's authors, Dariush Mozaffarian, of the Harvard School of Public Health, admits that he is not happy with the key conclusion that the evidence does not support a benefit from polyunsaturated fats. "Personally, I think the results suggest that fish and vegetable oils should be encouraged," he says. But the paper was written by a group of authors, he points out. "And science isn't a dictatorship."
    Truth be told, I eat a fair amount of sat fat being primal. However, these errors do worry me a tad.
    Last edited by saigafreak; 05-24-2014 at 04:21 AM.

I wouldn't worry dr Peter Attia is concerned and he tests his blood work while going on a high fat diet

http://youtu.be/VIEDYbGJsmQ

http://youtu.be/C3E0pFl370Y

http://youtu.be/JH5wquzbtAY

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Well, one doesn't know exactly what motivates others........but I presume it is probably pretty much going to impossible for them to admit that they have been COMPLETELY wrong. Wouldn't that pretty much put them out of business? Expose them to incredible shame, and perhaps even legal action?

I suspect that they will gradually, very gradually, move off of their position by hedging or 'fine tuning' their message over the course of many years. Just as they did with the Mediterranean and Atkins Diets - both of which they now occasionally acknowledge as heart healthy.

If I were them, I would shift my message to include additional detail......something like 'The research accumulated over the past 20 years has further refined our understanding of the effect of saturated fat on cardio vascular health such that we can now say that in fact it is the combination of saturated fat and chronic inflammation which is damaging.'

Even something hedgy such as that would be a big bold step.
    Last edited by gdot; 05-24-2014 at 07:12 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The bill is a lot more complex than that. Lobbying will direct it. For example, look at who sits on the chair of the the USDA Six Reasons Why Obama Appointing Monsanto's Buddy, Former Iowa Governor Vilsack, for USDA Head Would be a Terrible Idea
    Go ahead and show me how keeping 50 million people without health care is part of a solution to any part of the problem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast