Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking w/ olive oil / Oil for cooking? page

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member

Cooking w/ olive oil / Oil for cooking?

Primal Fuel
    I use EVOO for cooking (roasting veggies, sautéing) b/c I don't like the taste of coconut oil. However, I'm wondering if cooking with EVOO is not good because it degrades the oil.

Is olive oil ok for cooking?
    I know other good cooking fats are lard and ghee, but those are too expensive for me and not an option.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Mostly okay

Just watch for smoke or bitter flavor. My lard is less expensive than olive oil though.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    You can, just keep it low heat and avoid smoke like the plague.

The stuff I get is so nice that I use it pretty much only for dressings and uncooked sauces, dips, things like that. It's what you get when your olive comes from olives grown in your uncle's backyard and produced by an independent and certified organic winery and olive oil producer.

I get one big bottle a year from my uncle and I'm not letting THAT stuff go bad from overcooking.

In the meantime, for most folks it is cheaper, easier, and safer (how many people really know smoking oil is bad?) to use butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow, and lard as primary cooking fats.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Olive oil is great for cooking, if by "olive" you mean "coconut."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You can, just keep it low heat and avoid smoke like the plague.

The stuff I get is so nice that I use it pretty much only for dressings and uncooked sauces, dips, things like that. It's what you get when your olive comes from olives grown in your uncle's backyard and produced by an independent and certified organic winery and olive oil producer.

I get one big bottle a year from my uncle and I'm not letting THAT stuff go bad from overcooking.

In the meantime, for most folks it is cheaper, easier, and safer (how many people really know smoking oil is bad?) to use butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow, and lard as primary cooking fats.
    Cool, thanks. I actually do cook with very high quality olive oil like you described, since we have a friend with his own olive farm. Basically the only choices of oil in my house are that or canola, eew, so I cook with the olive oil when butter isn't appropriate for the dish.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    High quality olive oil for the win.

Plenty of evidence out there to support that.

Personally, I shy away from cooking with it. I might use a little coconut oil to 'lubricate the pan' and then 'finish' with olive oil however. This is pretty much the standard vegetable prep for me these days.

And by the way - one need not spend lots of money for good quality, organic, olive oil.

Kirkland's organic from Costco is everything it should be from a health standpoint - and cheap. As for taste, I think it's great.
    Last edited by gdot; 05-24-2014 at 07:20 AM.

I have heard about store-bought olive oils being adulterated with cheaper oils; has anyone else heard about that?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I have heard about store-bought olive oils being adulterated with cheaper oils; has anyone else heard about that?
    yup.

The Most (and Least) Fake Extra Virgin Olive Oil Brands
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    Oh thanks! I'm surprised Whole foods is on the list of failed standards.

Restarting this thread b/c I'm wondering about cooking with olive oil: I looked up the smoke pt for EVOO & its 320F. Does that mean its ok to cook with it if its below that temperature? Sometimes I just prefer the taste of EVOO, like for roasted veggies. I have a jar of coconut oil but the flavor doesn't lend itself well to most recipes, & a small jar of ghee isn't very affordable for me ATM.

TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast