Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conditioning for Fat Burning page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Conditioning for Fat Burning

I need to burn some fat. Period.
    I am lifting, doing Wendler's 5/3/1 which has me happy in the weightlifting department.

But I need to get some conditioning going and can't find a medium. I tried doing HIIT 2 times a week for 10-15 minute sessions and one longer 25-30 minute session- complexes, intervals etc. I know that long/low intensity does jack shit for me. The HIIT also did very little for fat loss.

I know I need to go more intense, maybe for longer. I am one efficient work horse. However, when I push it harder, I just drain myself and need more food. I did 500 KB swings on Wednesday and literally at work, my brain shut down. I ended up eating a big lunch with some rice, beans and chicken; but then there goes any fat burn.

OTOH, I am very lucky- I can throw pretty much anything at my body and be fine the next day. I can go really hard 5 days a week and not feel it. I know I push at the gym. I'm not pissing around- the 500 swings were with 16 kg kettlebells, interspersed with active breaks doing assisted dips and I made it thru the work out in about 30 minutes.

But damn, I need to burn some fat. On the diet side, nothing sustainable works. It's like I'm at this set point of 180. I know I've added muscle and it shows in my waist, but my legs and arms are so stubborn. Every woman probably hates their thighs, but mine are flabby and damn it, the flab interferes with my deadlift.

I know I've come a long way, but just can't seem to dial in the last of the weight I need to lose. I'm thinking it's like 20-30lbs. but it's all fat on my limbs that doesn't seem to budge. My lowest weight was 170 and at 170, I actually looked gaunt in my face. At 180, my waist is the same size as 170.

Anyhow, haha, such a rant. But I'm just at a loss. OTOH, I pulled 225 for 6 reps today 2 days after 500KB swings. But I'm pissed because I could have pulled for 8 had the bar not gotten caught up in my thigh flab on every damn pull.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Eich is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are a bit stressed and mentally regressing to the more is better thing.

Set points exist.

You aren't a dude.

You aren't a teen.

You're strong as heck and compressing the hell out of your future morbidity.

Something "different" would be taking a month off of everything "hard" and experimenting with food exclusively.

I'm sure it sounds cliché, but that darn "bullet proof coffee" concept really seemed to knock my effortless set-point down into the 190s, when it had been pretty stubborn around 200. Doesn't sound profound, but we're talking about mindless and effortless too. Not an acute phase of conscious "cutting". That extra 4 hours every day of not incurring any extra insulin and prolonging the essence of the nightly fast was definitely helpful.
    Last edited by Eich; 05-23-2014 at 07:09 AM.

You actually sound like a clone of my sister in terms of....everything.

30 pounds of true, literal, subcutaneous body fat is quite a load. Think of that in terms of gallon milk jugs.

If I apply this to what I'm imagining about you (based on pictures), and her (based on a real life model for this proposed reduction), I'd picture no boobs, and a face you could light a match on.

Eh.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It is the same for me. The set point sticks really hard. 2x a week interval training plus lifting plus eating chicken until my skin crawled did nothing for me. I know it's horrible to hear, but what has helped me a lot was the other night on TV they talked about a long-term study they did with Leisure World residents that showed that being thinner didn't correlate to a longer life, and in fact for women, being a little heavy led to the longest life with the best health in late life. So okay, I can deal with that. Also, recently I figured out that I have some food allergies and some foods give me really bad gas so cutting down/out on these foods took some of the puffiness away, which is not a huge shrinkage but it's something I can see and feel.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Since we know you got the strength portion down consider this view:

Phil Maffetone - Fat Burning Journal

The bottom line is paleo diet + more LISS to upregulate aerobic fat burning metabolism. And I'm not talking "aerobics" that bastardized word in fitness.....I mean it in the metabolic sense of aerobic respiration.

Is that picture supposed to be an endorsement or a dire warning....?

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Hi Magnolia,
    I've been on a similar path--a bit less to lose, but for me it's the stubborn belly fat, bane of middle age (50) men, especially in my family. Somehow winter-into-spring was very stressful for me, and that's when the fat increased, along with carb intake. Reading on the forums lately, I've seen reference to a chicken-and-egg thing with anxiety and carb consumption. Whatever the science, I've reduced the carbs and am feeling less stressed, and it seems to be key. Weight is slowly coming down.

Are you good on stress management and sleep? I know you're not new to this, sorry for the obvious question.

Other thing to consider--have you been cycling your workouts in terms of intensity and duration?

Final thing--I recently got a heart rate monitor because I was wondering if my walks were getting up to that 55% of MHR, and if jogging put me over 75%. I found the walks weren't doing it (though I'm sure still really good for me), and I had to jog slowly to keep it moderate. So I've added a longer run to my weekly routine (4-6 miles) since I can do it at about 130bpm and it feels good. You may simply have acclimated to your workload, hit a set point, and need a new way to push yourself?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Pushing a sled works well for conditioning. I hear hill sprints are pretty good, too.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Since we know you got the strength portion down consider this view:

Phil Maffetone - Fat Burning Journal

The bottom line is paleo diet + more LISS to upregulate aerobic fat burning metabolism. And I'm not talking "aerobics" that bastardized word in fitness.....I mean it in the metabolic sense of aerobic respiration.
    Thanks for that link, Neck--in my several years here I hadn't seen that before. Good reference.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lot of good thoughts here.
    I have done bulletproof and it works great for stripping off weight, belly fat, boobs and face fat. Problem is that when I get to a point, my body shuts down. It's almost like my body doesn't realize it had flab on my arms and legs to burn.

I have a pretty low stress life, plenty of sleep and my diet is 90% good; 10% either way doesn't seem to effect things and very low carb will let me lose 10 lbs off the tummy, boobs and face then I just stall and feel like crap. I am one of those super healthy people- no aches, no pains, rarely get sick. And I probably could just say to hell with it. But there are just 4 damn areas of flab that drive me NUTS. They make clothes hard to find and mess with my dead lift.

I will look into the more focused heart rate on workouts. I was under the impression that HITT was the better fat burner. I never had luck with long and slow- I was a fat marathoner. I do feel like my body adapts quickly- probably why weightlifting goes so well for me. I try and keep changing up my cardio- but its normally in that realm of HIIT and not varying on intensity.

I hesitate just to take a month off from working out. I enjoy the weightlifting (I would however skip cardio for ....forever). I seem to be able to lose weight the same 10 lbs of fat too....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast