Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Eating Enough Leading to Cravings? page

whidden00 is offline Junior Member

Not Eating Enough Leading to Cravings?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

I've been lurking MDA for over nine months. I was a vegetarian/vegan for the past two years and finally made the switch to the PB lifestyle a month ago. I feel so much better! My mood, energy, and mentality clarity is more consistent; however, I have a problem: cravings. I get these intense cravings for chips nearly every other day. I don't crave or care for sweets either. You could put cupcakes in front of me everyday and I wouldn't bite. I read that cravings for chips is usually a sign of low sodium, so I added salt to my meals, which helped the cravings, but they are still there. Is this an issue of not enough calories? Not enough fat? Add even more sea salt onto my meals?

I'm 5'9, around 140, and don't work out that often.

My typical day is:

Breakfast- 3 eggs, with a little bit of egg whites, and 2 bacon strips
    Lunch- kale, veggies, and a piece of meat (either a piece of chicken, steak, or ground beef)
    Dinner- same as lunch.

I cook in coconut oil and add a teaspoon of olive oil onto my salads.

I'm not sure what's going on. In addition to these cravings, I have moments where I experience brain fog, as well. Do you think I might not be eating enough carbs, which is leading to these feelings? Should I add a sweet potato or a serving of fruit to my dinner to help this? I'm so confused at what could be causing these cravings. It doesn't make sense! Chips taste like cardboard to me!

Thank you so much for the help. MDA has been a godsend for me!
    Last edited by whidden00; 05-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Are you a boy or girl? Activity level? I vote yes on the sweet potato or fruit with dinner.
    The Champagne of Beards

RichMahogany,

I am a man. I live a sedentary lifestyle. Do you think it's just a case of being too low carb for my specific body? Do you think I'm not eating enough calories? I never feel like I'm starving in between meals, I just get those random cravings out of nowhere, it's almost always at night, a few hours after I ate dinner.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I think you're just plain undereating, and maybe overly carb-restricted. Hard to say which. Scientific method would be to manipulate 1 variable at a time.
    The Champagne of Beards

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a wee bit more carbs or limit carbs until evening - at which point have them all at once.

Use table salt freely if you are eating no packaged foods.

I'll add a sweet potato at dinner.

It's odd, though, I don't feel like I'm undereating at all. As a vegetarian/vegan, I always felt hungry, so I know when I know when I'm not eating enough. Looking at my diet, it does appear that I may be overly carb-restricted.

Would adding a sweet potato to dinner still keep me low-carb and in ketosis?
    Last edited by whidden00; 05-21-2014 at 05:34 PM.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    A carb heavy diet (vegan) can make you constantly hungry.

you know - the old insulin cycle thing.

gdot,

I sadly learned that the hard way. haha. Those two years left me an emotional mess. I don't think you realize how emotionally satisfying it is to eat meat again after starving on a vegetarian/vegan diet for the past two years. I seriously feel like a new person again. I just need to eliminate these random cravings and I'll be set.

Does it sound like a case of not eating enough carbs to you?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like you're eating any carbs. Don't be afraid of carbs.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Marie20 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden00 View Post
    Would adding a sweet potato to dinner still keep me low-carb and in ketosis?
    Are you saying you want to stay in ketosis? 5'9'' and 140 seems like a very low weight to me, no? A sweet potato with a lot of butter and sea salt would DEFinitely satisfy a salt craving of mine.

What time of day are you craving the chips?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast