Thread: All Natural Body Products page

xjennabennax416 is offline Junior Member

All Natural Body Products

Primal Fuel
    I am curious as to the paleo views on beauty/body products. Many contain ingredients that are not healthy (parabens, preservatives, chemicals you wouldnt consume, etc..). I thought it would be a good topic to talk about. I recently heard about aluminum containing deodorant/antiperspirants and how it may be linked to breast cancer/swollen lymphnodes around the breast area closest to the armpit. I switched to an all natural one made in my home state of NH (https://www.facebook.com/bearcreekbotanicals) which is a deodorant AND an antiperspirant that actually works! Ive always had issues with "wet pits" but not anymore! Ive used Tom's from Maine, but decided to give this one a try because Tom's makes aluminum free deodorants, but not antiperspirants. I would highly recommend Bear Creek Botanicals to my fellow paleo-ers!

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Yup. I struggle with that because none of the homemade or "alternative" deodorants work all that well for me, and I don't want to be smelly. I tried using a homemade deodorant for a while due to all of these concerns and it did not work so well at all. Eventually I caved and went back to the store bought stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjennabennax416 View Post
    I am curious as to the paleo views on beauty/body products.
    Depends who you ask. Not even on some people's radar. Others in paleo, or in the wider "Ancestral Health" movement think it matters a great deal.

Many contain ingredients that are not healthy
    Yes -- or that people have concerns about at any rate.

I thought it would be a good topic to talk about.
    It is a topic that has often been aired here. Perhaps you wouldn't realise, as this seems to be only your second post here ever, but it has been.

I recently heard about aluminum containing deodorant/antiperspirants and how it may be linked to breast cancer/swollen lymphnodes around the breast area closest to the armpit. I switched to an all natural one... a deodorant AND an antiperspirant that actually works ...
    Hmmm … I haven't used either for years. I think there's reason to check out soaps, shampoos, toothpastes and, for the ladies, cosmetics. That can be done here:

Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

But antiperspirants? I think those are totally unnecessary, and I think that suppressing a natural function -- here sweating, but the same would apply to any other -- is both foolish and totally out of tune with the thought behind trying to live in an "ancestral" manner. That biological reaction is there for a reason.

Deodorants are another matter: I think those are unnecessary, too, but they're not at least aimed at suppressing a natural function. If you must, go ahead. However they too were not, of course, there in the paleolithic lifestyle -- indeed, they weren't around just a couple of generations back. Their sales are essentially the result of commercial organisations using advertising to whip up paranoia and fear about nothing (as has been admitted by advertising executives trying to sell them in new markets). I'd suggest: don't allow yourself to be manipulated in this way.

To be frank: soap and water does. I think if people smell bad, it's probably because of their unhealthy diets and lifestyles: healthy people don't and don't require "deodorising" -- any more than healthy fats do to draw an amusing parallel. (It's the rancid vegetable oils that are deodorised commercially: extra-virgin olive oil is simply pressed and bottled.)

Anyway, here's the link for you again:

Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

Good luck!

I wonder, having read about the skin microbiome, if some people smell bad because their natural microbiome is somehow "off", or has been disrupted by overenthusiastic soap use. Eating Primal won't help in this case - it won't bring the good bacteria back from the dead. I hope someone somewhere comes up with a bacterial treatment that replaces the stinky bacteria with less-stinky ones.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    I wonder, having read about the skin microbiome, if some people smell bad because their natural microbiome is somehow "off", or has been disrupted by overenthusiastic soap use. Eating Primal won't help in this case - it won't bring the good bacteria back from the dead. I hope someone somewhere comes up with a bacterial treatment that replaces the stinky bacteria with less-stinky ones.
    Hang on

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/25..._r=1&referrer=

Sbhikes posted this the other day. I think it's awesome
    Hope the link works.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I read the same article - that's what got me thinking about the skin microbiome. I'll be one of the first guinea pigs to try this stuff once it's available for the general public. Meanwhile, I'm contemplating just rolling in the dirt.

Grassfed4me is offline Senior Member
    I like this stuff, and I now make my own:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...ing-skin-care/

To clean my hair, I use baking soda & water, then finish with a vinegar & water rinse.

Kiss My Face makes an olive oil soap that I like. After a shower, I oil my skin (coconut, olive, macnut, palm oils, usually mixed together).

I use olive oil to wash my face.

And a little rubbing alcohol in place of deodorant.

I am my own LaB rAt.

roguejim is offline Junior Member
    When I started a more primal lifestyle, I started looking at other ways I could reduce chemicals and other nasties from my life. There are a lot of natural deodorants, and although I enjoyed the scents at first, within a few weeks they either stopped working or made things worse. Now I use a deodorant crystal, and it works well -- I no longer smell like a lemon tree or musk ox or anything, but I don't smell bad, either.

I also use Sasquatch soap. I like it, but it too doesn't smell like anything by the time I dry off. I've also been getting more random pimples lately, but I'm not ready to attribute that to the soap yet.