Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ill give $5 for your one-pot slow cooker recipe page

mitch5 is offline Junior Member

Ill give $5 for your one-pot slow cooker recipe

Primal Fuel
    Hey!

Im helping a group of friends and family getting onboard the primal train. But their cooking skills sucks and explaining the concept of primal to them is a pain in the ass.

So we agreed everyone should buy a slow cooker and I would just give them 20 recipes to choose from, that are easy to cook. And they would alternate between the recipes for 30 days. No need for them to understand what primal is that way.

So im looking for 20 slow cooker recipes. If you have one you wanna share, pm it to me (or post it below) and Ill pay you 5 dollars per recipe by paypal or donate it to watsi.org.

Rules for the recipes:
    Only natural ingredients, Primal/paleo
    All ingredients go into the pot at once (no marinade first, no frying before etc, and one pot only)
    All ingredients has to be available and common in northern Europe and no brands (So "Tropical Lisas coconut oil" has to be just "coconut oil" in the recipe, and not some rare indian herb impossible to find here either)
    The recipe has to be 4 portions big
    No stock in the recipe (I know that makes it very difficult. But I havent found any primal stock and asking them to make stock before cooking their first meal will just be an additional bump in the road jeopardizing their motivation)
    Last edited by mitch5; 05-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I don't need the five bucks... but I've found that almost all the recipes that say brown something first before putting it in the crock pot? You can skip that step. It might be better when you do it but it's not necessary.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Line the bottom of crock with onions & mushrooms, place a piece of Brisket or similar tough beef on top then add a small can of tomatoes over the beef. Slow cook until tender. Salt & pepper the meat before, preferably a day ahead of time. Spend the $5 on a higher quality piece of beef.

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    No need to pay me, I just love to cook and would enjoy others learning to do the same. Also, that's why I'm posting them here, in case they can be useful to anyone else reading the thread. And, as a disclaimer, I don't always cook strictly primal, but do cook a lot of meals that are. All of these should serve at least 4 people and probably leave some extras for another meal, depends on people's appetites.

Chili

1 T. olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    4 stalks celery, diced
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    2 lbs. ground or chopped turkey, beef, bison, elk
    4 c. diced tomatoes
    1/4 c. honey
    5 whole cloves
    5 bay leaves
    1 stick of cinnamon
    1 T. basil
    2 T. chili powder
    salt to taste

Add all ingredients and turn crock pot on. Let simmer, string occasionally if you are around. Low setting should be done in 8 hours. High setting should be done in 3-4. Though cooking longer just blends all the flavors better.

BBQ Chicken

2 c. apple cider vinegar
    2 c. water
    1/3 c. worcestershire sauce
    1/8 c. salt
    2 T. butter
    2 t. pepper
    4 lbs. chicken (or turkey) legs, thighs, or drumsticks

Combine all ingredients and turn crockpot on high. Should be done and falling off the bone in 3-4 hours, depending on how big the pieces of chicken are. (Drumsticks are smaller and quicker, whole legs are much larger and will take a little longer.)

Honey Mustard Chicken

3 lbs. chicken thighs/drumsticks
    1/3 c. butter or coconut oil
    1/3 c. honey
    2 T. prepared mustard
    1 t. salt
    1 t. curry powder

Add everything to the crockpot and let cook on high for at least 4 hours. Again, the time can vary slightly depending on the size of the chicken pieces. The meat should easily fall off the bone when done.

Pot Roast

3-4 lbs. chuck roast
    8 baby potatoes
    4 carrots, cut into large chunks
    1 large onion, cut into larger cubes
    2 c. sauerkraut

Add all ingredients, with the sauerkraut on top. Turn crockpot on low for 8-12 hours. Meat should easily fall apart when done.

Bone Broth

I know you said no recipes that include stock, but just in case they want to experiment, it's easy to make that in a crockpot too. At least here in WY where I live, most grocery stores now sell marrow bones.

3-4 lbs. marrow bones
    2 T. salt
    water to fill within a half inch of the top of crockpot

Let simmer on low for 24-48 hours. Strain out bones and refrigerate or freeze the broth.

Broccoli Soup

3 heads of broccoli, diced (you can use partly cauliflower if you like as well)
    1 large onion, diced
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1 c. chopped celery
    1 c. chopped carrots
    3 cups water (or broth if you have it)
    1 T. salt
    2 T. butter
    1 T. parsley
    1 can coconut milk

Add all ingredients and turn crockpot on high for 3 hours. If you prefer a more creamy texture, feel free to run through a blender once everything is soft. I like a chunky texture myself.

Cabbage Sausage Soup

1 head of cabbage, chopped into bite sized pieces
    2 potatoes, cubed
    1 1/2 lb. sausage
    4 cups diced tomatoes
    1 T. salt
    2 T. butter or coconut oil
    1 t. pepper
    1 t. thyme

Add all ingredients and turn crockpot on high for 3 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.

Almost any recipe that includes putting everything in one pot on a stove, or one pan in an oven, can be made in a crockpot. Just add a lot of hours to the cooking time.

Also check these links for more recipes:

23 Easy Paleo Crock Pot Recipes | Paleo Grubs
    30 Nights of Paleo Crock Pot Meals
    The 30 Best Paleo Crock Pot Recipes

Good luck to all your friends and family!
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Thanks Ariel! Just the type of easy one pot recipes ive been looking for.

I took away the BBQ chicken because of the worcestershire sauce. And the mustard chicken because of the mustard (not sure mustard in can is primal?)

4 great easy recipes left. I donated $20 bucks to Bernice on watsi in your name: https://watsi.org/profile/82a7e92cee77-bernice
    Screenshot 2014-05-21 21.17.06.jpg

Btw, I didnt see any added water in the recipes. Is that correct? I thought you always had to had water to a slow cooker to not burn.
    Last edited by mitch5; 05-21-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    Line the bottom of crock with onions & mushrooms, place a piece of Brisket or similar tough beef on top then add a small can of tomatoes over the beef. Slow cook until tender. Salt & pepper the meat before, preferably a day ahead of time. Spend the $5 on a higher quality piece of beef.
    Cheers man. Do you have any exact amounts of the ingredients for 4 portions?

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch5 View Post
    Thanks Ariel! Just the type of easy one pot recipes ive been looking for.

I took away the BBQ chicken because of the worcestershire sauce. And the mustard chicken because of the mustard (not sure mustard in can is primal?)

4 great easy recipes left. I donated $20 bucks to Bernice on watsi in your name: https://watsi.org/profile/82a7e92cee77-bernice
    Screenshot 2014-05-21 21.17.06.jpg

Btw, I didnt see any added water in the recipes. Is that correct? I thought you always had to had water to a slow cooker to not burn.
    Depends on the kind or brand of prepared mustard I suppose. I live in the states, and in a town that tends to have a lot of health conscience people, so I'm not sure what all is readily available in your area. I have one that has only vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, and tumric in it. All those are primal. You can substitute dry powdered mustard in the chicken recipe if you like as well.

The same thing with worcestershire sauce. It can have just vinegar, water, molasses, salt, spices, anchovies, garlic powder. Again, not sure what you guys can find there.

Honey, oil/butter, tomatoes, vinegar, coconut milk, all work for moisture in most of the recipes. Also, I leave all the fat on all of the cuts of meat. As it heats, this adds moisture too. If your meat is very lean, or if the crockpot lids don't seal well, adding a little more water can be a good idea. If you're losing liquid to evaporation around the lid anyway, this should not change much of the flavor as it will mostly go away.
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch5 View Post
    Cheers man. Do you have any exact amounts of the ingredients for 4 portions?
    I usually cook by eye, no hard measures. But for example you can usually find a 2-3lb piece of brisket, which will shrink and leave you with a nice portion for 4 people. Use one large onion, a few mushrooms, you can add any other root veggie (carrot, parsnip, etc.). Then I'd go with a 14oz can of tomatoes. Pre salting tough cuts of meat allows them time to dry brine and get more flavor and a tender bite. This can take 3 to 10 or more hours depending on the quality of the meat, just poke it with a fork every hour or so after 3 hours to gauge.

btw - when I make brisket I usually grind up some dried chili peppers and spice it up with that after salting.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I'm a lazy crock-pot cooker. I'll peel and chop a potato into like 1-2" cubes, but that's about it.

So peel and chop a potato. Throw it in the crock pot. Put a bunch of salt, pepper, & chili powder in there. Cayenne too if you like heat. A dash of ACV too.

Throw in your gelatinous meat cut of choice (shank/oxtails/ribs are all good choices).

Cover the meat with V8 or tomato juice. Turn the thing on low. Go away for at least 7 hours (up to 12). Thank me later, and put the $5 in some kid's college fund on my behalf.
    The Champagne of Beards

Cheers guys. I donated another 10$ to Bernice in the link above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast