Strawberry, rhubarb and elderflower crumble
Just made this today as someone requested a primal friendly crumble recipe on my blog, it turned out really lovely actually which was a relief! I don't know yet how folks feel about stevia, hopefully it's ok! You can sub in coconut fat for butter if you don't eat it.
For the fruit mix
2 pints of strawberries (frozen or fresh is fine)
4 medium stalks of rhubarb
1 pint of elderflowers
3 tbs undiluted elderflower cordial (optional, I was just given a bottle by a friend so I threw some in)
1 tbs rosewater
1 level tbs white stevia powder
For the crumble
300g ground almonds
200g mixed chopped nuts
100g dessicated coconut
50g butter + enough to grease the dish
3 level tsp white stevia powder
* Set the oven to 180 and leave to heat up.
* Chop the rhubarb into 3-4 inch pieces, put in a pot with a few tbs of water, cover and put to steam on a medium heat, stirring every now and then and adding more water when needed (don't let it dry out).
* Remove the main green stalks from the elderflowers, put in a bowl and pour a mug of boiling water onto the flowers, make sure they are immersed in the water, cover and let brew.
* When the rhubarb is tender, add the strawberries, stevia, rosewater and cordial and cook very gently for a minute or two.
* Then take a teacups worth of the water in which the elderflowers have been brewing and add that to the rest of the fruit and take off the heat.
* To make the crumble, mix all the dry ingredients first and then add the butter in little cubes and mix in well with your finger tips.
* Grease a dish with some butter, add in the fruit mix and then add the crumble mix. I tried to squash some of my crumble mix together into little lumps to allow more edges to brown.
* Pop it in the middle of the oven for 40 mins or so, or as long as it takes to go golden brown. You should be able to see the fruit bubbling up around the edges of the dish.
* Enjoy with some freshly whipped cream or dollup of coconut milk, you could add another few drops of rosewater to the cream if you wanted to!
Last edited by Khrystyna; 07-01-2010 at 01:20 PM.
It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
✿ iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order ✿