Thread: Yes, it is possible to stay primal on a business trip page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Yes, it is possible to stay primal on a business trip

Shop Now
    I was in New Orleans for seven days for a business trip -- actually, a writing convention where I taught a few workshops, led panels, etc. I knew there would be lots of mouth-watering food, tons of drinking, and little sleep. So I told myself that I would do my best to stay primal, defaulting to gluten free if needed.

For five of the seven days, I went to the hotel gym first thing in the morning to walk on the treadmill for 30 - 40 min as a mind/body wake up. I also snuck out of the convention to walk around New Orleans every day, definitely moving slowly, except when I was late and had to unintentionally sprint back to the conference hotel. (Oops.)

Foodwise, I definitely stayed within 80/20 -- most of the days, I was paleo, but there were three days in which there were fantastic desserts (banana chocolate ice cream on two days; creme brulee on a third day) and two days where the alcohol of choice wasn't wine (or water). I had rice with a meal on two days and I tried a red-bean hummus on another. Everything else? Primal or paleo, including starting each day with a massive omelet with veggies and bacon. OK, I'm pretty sure the cooking oil for all seven days was crap oil, but I'm not sweating it. There was also some unintentional IFing when I'd miss a meal (oops again).

Sleep was a disaster, but what can you do?

Usually, I put on a few pounds when I go on such a trip. Instead, I actually lost a pound and about a quarter inch from my waist and hips. So I consider this a success story!

I think the key is to make a plan (in this case, primal if possible, and gluten free if nothing else) and do your best to stick with it...and not sweat it if there's an instance when it falls through. That not sweating it goes a long way!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Paul R is offline Senior Member
    If you can stay Primal in New Orleans I think you can do it anywhere. I actually usually come out at the same weight as going in for a week due to lots of walking (5-7 miles per day seems normal in NOLA for me). Dessert is not going to be my issue, it will be fried chicken at Coops.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I travel about 75% and it is sometimes a huge pain in the ass. Especially when I have to entertain clients - they all expect it to be some sort of frat party with unending shots and $100/plate dinners.
    Like you, I try very hard, but sometimes it's inevitable.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    I always travel with a cooler in the car and stash goodies to munch on. As long as you have access to ice I think it's pretty easy to have some options while traveling.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBug View Post
    I always travel with a cooler in the car and stash goodies to munch on. As long as you have access to ice I think it's pretty easy to have some options while traveling.
    When I drive it is very doable. When you have to fly, it becomes much harder.

stacie is offline Junior Member
    I was at that conference too. I had no luck sticking to a diet during my time there and I regret it. I've been having a really hard time getting fully into the swing of a primal diet, although I want to do it. Part of the problem is my husband who insists on bringing my favourite treats home from the store. But part of it is just will power too.

Stacie

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I travel about 75% and it is sometimes a huge pain in the ass. Especially when I have to entertain clients - they all expect it to be some sort of frat party with unending shots and $100/plate dinners.
    Like you, I try very hard, but sometimes it's inevitable.
    That's a big part of my new job..... very hard to not drink when people take you out and they want to drink. Eating primal is easy "I'll have the steak"..... but yeah, the drinking is like it was in college.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jennifartom is offline Junior Member

Network Marketing Leads

Hey "CaveBug" how are you? Your sharing not bad. But I want to say you that, I have a online good website about the network marketing leads. You can take some of useful information from here.