Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jungblood's journal page

jungblood's journal

Primal Fuel
    Howdy folks...

Its time this little bear started tracking his macronutrient intake! Actually, I've been doing it the last week or so, having become interested in the idea of low-carb/primal approach to fitness... this past fortnight I decided to deliberately eat as I normally would, so as to get a picture of what has been going on in my body.... and I discovered some scary stuff! Basically, loads of carbs and very little protein.... surprise surprise...

I'll probably have to experiment a bit in order to figure out a system that works well for me.. tracking the exact nutritional content of every single thing you eat is pretty laborious, so as a starting point I'm going to track my daily protein intake and any refined sugar (aiming for 100 grams of protein and zero refined sugar)... past experience has shown me that, once I cut out the sugar and grain, I naturally gravitate to a diet of loads of vegetables - with about an even split of starchy and low carb vegetables... so I'm figuring what I need to do is up the protein intake and get rid of the damn sugar... I'm pretty sure I get a decent amount of healthy fats too, but we'll see how it goes over the coming days/weeks and I'll make any adjustments as necessary...

I'm also going to track my workouts... after years of endless cardio (hours and hours of moderate-paced running and no real fitness improvemente for years - I'd regularly cover 70 or 80km running each week, but it was always hard, and I'm now realizing my crappy diet, along with the complete absence of any strength work, was surely to blame)... so here goes!

Thanks for being here folks!

Lucas

May 19

Well, you gotta start somewhere, so here goes!

Today's protein: 96 grams

• Half lb chicken breast: 60g protein
    • I cup greek yogurt: 24g
    • 2 eggs (whites) 12g

Happy to say I had no refined sugar today, but I did cheat a bit on the grain front - I ate a couple of rice cakes...

There was no workout today... I've had that 'about to get sick' feeling and didn't want to exacerbate it (I've learned from past experience). Got an introductory crossfit class tomorrow morning, so I want to be 100% for that...

Hope you're all having a good monday!

meggo2002 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sugar is evil. Evil. I find that tracking my food (I use the LoseIt app and my blog here) helps me stay on track and really see what I'm eating- I aim for about 50 grams of carbs a day (from veggies) or less. I want to hear how your first crossfit class goes! I am interested in it, but am enjoying my Personal Trainer destroying me at the gym and doing kickboxing!
    Cheers!
    Meggo

Hi there meggo!

Well, a sudden bug os some kind forced me to ditch out of my first crossfit class today, so I've rescheduled for Thursday… Ive done some limited weight lifting before, but I want to learn good technique so I figure this should help,.. the social element is a good motivator too…. I'll let you know how it goes… so I take it your a gym monkey? I'm headed that direction…. years and years of endless cardio with no strength work has gotten old!

Un abrazo,
    Lucas
    The jungster's journal

Goals:
    • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
    • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

So let's look at today's nutrition....

Protein same as yesterday: 96g
    * Half lb chicken breast: 60g protein
    * I cup greek yogurt: 24g
    * 2 eggs (whites) 12g

Fruit and veg
    * half lb roasted carrots and butternut squash
    * one large orange
    * one banana

* No grains today: check!

I also had my oils and a few squares of dark chocolate. The latter is not a big deal, but worth noting because I am a sugar addict and can't be under any illusions that allowing myself ANY refined sugar is a good idea.... it's not - once I get that insulin spike going, I'm off to the races and it could take me a week to get back on track....
    Last edited by exsugaraddict; 05-20-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    The jungster's journal

Goals:

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Nutrition: May 21

Howdy folks,

OK, so this little bear will have to start finding ways to make chicken more interesting...

Today protein intake: 96 grams

* Half lb chicken breast: 60g protein
    * I cup greek yogurt: 24g
    * 2 eggs (whites) 12g

I also had a monster spinach salad with butternut squash, one orange and two bananas...

On the less-than-ideal side, I had a candy bar too... Being the little sugar-junkie that I am I reckon I'm better of just quitting refined sugar altogether, so I'm going to put that into effect:

* No grains today: check!
    * No refined sugar: fail! x
    The jungster's journal

Goals:

Owwwww! I did my first ever crossfit class today... and boy do I hurt! I hurt in places I didn't know I had muscles... for years I've been doing endless cardio and getting nowhere with it... (well, I can a very long way at a very slow pace - I guess that's something)... Anyway, it feel good to be doing some strength work and exploring my physicality a bit... I don't know if Crossfit will be 'my thing', but it's definitely going to be useful for learning good form and technique with weights...

As for today's nutrition... I only took in 84 grams of protein... things got a bit wacky in work and I skipped dinner and wound up having coffee for dinner .... .... not ideal, but sometimes my job can be like that...

Today's protein:
    • Half lb chicken breast: 60g protein
    • 2 eggs (whites) 12g
    • 3 tbsp peanut butter (12g)

I also had a mega-bumper spinach, tomato and avocado salad, along with two bananas and an orange (too much natural sugar!)

• No refined sugar: check! ✔
    • No grains: check! ✔
    The jungster's journal

Goals:

May 23: crossfit hangover

Today was pretty good on the nutrition front:

Protein: 102 grams
    • Half lb chicken breast: 60g
    • 1.5 portions greek yogurt: 36g
    • 1 egg: 6g

Other food:
    • Large spinach / avocado salad
    • Standard mixed greens salad
    • 1 oranges
    • 1 banana
    • 1 portion blueberries
    • I cup mixed nuts

Workout:
    Legs and back H-U-R-T-I-N-G from crossfit class.... so no exercise today.... jeeez.... just goes to show that you can run and run and run, but you're still only working a few muscle groups... I'm clearly completely out of shape in the 'non-cardio' front...
    The jungster's journal

Goals:

Beth249 is offline Member
    Dear Ex,
    Thanks for your journal.

I agree, chicken Can be boring.... Which is one thing this lifestyle is not. There are so many other things, but most require cooking, which I don't very much, so it often chicken for me too.
    Working on other options though.

I've always want to try Crossfit but never knew about intro class. I've been too timid to even look into it. Going to now though.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Ellesbells is offline Senior Member
    You must be getting bored with Chicken!! How about a nice big steak?? or some pork or fish? I have chicken almost every day - I try and cook it different ways so I don't go off it. Throw in some spices(lemon pepper chciken is awesome on the grill) or a paleo marinade to shake it up a little! There are some good recipes out there (though honestly I need to get a little more adventurous myself!) You are off to a great start!

Ellie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast