Thread: Migraine cause page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Migraine cause

I woke up with one of the nastiest headaches I've ever had this morning. It was a migraine that felt like a monkey was alternately carving out my eyeballs with a rusty serrated spoon and whaling on my temples with a dull icepick. An ice pack, Excedrin, and one of my migraine pills made the majority of it fade away. I'm trying to figure out the cause. It definitely felt like it was a reaction to something I ate, especially because my stomach and bowels are letting me know they aren't too thrilled either.
    Yesterday's eats:
    Chinese buffet:
    Sushi (fresh rolled, never reacted to anything in it before, everything was cooked)
    1/4 tsp soy sauce and 1/4 tsp wasabi (no previous reaction)
    broccoli and cheese (possibly velveeta in there, occasionally velveeta causes a minor headache)
    octopus and mollusk in sauce (sauce probably contained soy, sugar, and oil)
    steamed shrimp (just put out, no issue)
    chicken satay (some sort of honey glaze)
    flan (possible contender, haven't had it since 3rd grade, had banana flavor to it)
    pineapple (never had an issue before)
    hard cooked eggs (no issue)

Dinner at chili's:
    Salad with romaine, tomato, and cucumber with balsamic vinegar (couldn't ID the oil, so didn't use it)
    3/4 bowl of chili (never had it before, but it tasted right and had the right consistency. Possible contender?)
    Used chips as a salsa vehicle. (dip chip, eat salsa, redip chip, until chip was soggy. Discarded chip and grabbed a new one) (chips fried in soybean oil. Have had minor headache several times after getting fried food at chili's before.)

Had nothing to drink that I hadn't had a bajillion times before.

Supplements/ drugs: magnesium/ zinc, manganese, fish oil, selenium, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B complex, levothyroxine

I'm thinking I may have developed an intolerance to soy recently, or possibly it was MSG. Any other ideas?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

StillWild is offline Member
    Soy possibly. But I have heard that some places "treat" their salads/greens with MSG though, and I can remember getting a roaring migraine not very long after eating a salad from a local salad bar...that one left such an impression that I haven't been back since. Good luck!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Chinese buffet:
    I had the same experience after one of these and kept it as primal as possible. It's the oils and sauces (msg), possibly the sugar. I had regular pizza with no grain problems. Chinese messed me up bad.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    +1 on soy and hidden MSG.

The migraines I get from soy are the worst. Instead of being limited to one side or the other, they'll take on my entire head. I was afraid I was getting cluster headaches or something. I have to be extremely careful now when I eat Chinese -- nothing stir-fried, only deep-fried or fresh.

Best of luck overcoming the pain!

tooround is offline Senior Member
    for me? MSG and peppers!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Peppers are no issue for me. I think I built up an immunity living the areas of TX I have.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome