Thread: Can't decide if my life is on its way up, or in shambles page

jking is offline Junior Member

Can't decide if my life is on its way up, or in shambles

Hi all,

A bit about my past:
    I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm male and 25(or is that 26 now? I can never remember). I grew up in Michigan, with a severely conservative/deeply religious family. My parents were the kind of crazy people who didn't let me read Harry Potter or watch Pokemon as a kid. After leaving the house I went to college for a few years, and ended up dropping out. After working in fast food for a year, I decided to come back to college and have been studying as a chemical engineer ever since. I plan on pursuing a PhD when I graduate next year.

A bit more, about my current situation:
    I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs, and probably more skinny fat than I'd care to admit. Even though I get free access to my college's gym, I haven't taken advantage of it, due to some combination of discomfort in that setting and lack of spare time. I really only have one goal in going primal, which is to improve my mental health. I've just generally been a mope the last couple weeks, and have been having a lot of thoughts that I don't care for sharing here.

Some challenges I'll be facing:
    -Lack of transportation. I don't own a car and have little chance of getting one in the immediate future. There are only 1 or 2 shops within walking distance of me. No health food stores, asian markets, or farmer's markets.
    -Limited budget. Unfortunately the shops within walking distance are a tad expensive, so [$$/satiety] is the operative unit here.
    -Limited time. I really don't have the time to be taking public transportation all over my town every week to get to health food stores or farmer's markets. My teachers keep me extremely busy with homework, and I'd like to have time for plenty of academic research while maintaining my 4.0 GPA(which I could really list as my first objective at the moment). I'm already expecting to spend more time cooking and menu planning than currently, so better store options are definitely a no-go. I also don't have the time to be cooking on a daily basis. If I could cook twice a week and thrive off leftovers and "paleo snacks" the rest of the time, I'd be golden.
    -Noise and stress. I live in a big city, so between loud neighbors, roommates, and ambulance sirens it's rare for me to be able to sleep before midnight or after 8 am. Add to this the fact that I'm rarely away from my work or a computer and my school expects its students to be checking their email at least twice a day, and I'm rarely able to sleep well.
    -Myself. I'm a procrastinator, and I don't take well to structure. I'm addicted to the internet, even though I don't quite enjoy it most times. I'm aloof and don't have too many friends, and perhaps because of this criticism scares me. I also have a wicked sweet tooth, and don't enjoy eating. Today is a good example. It's three in the afternoon, and so far I've had 3 cups of coffee with cream & sugar, half a pint of blueberries, and a banana.

Anyways, sorry for the book. Not sure if I'll be able to go pure paleo given my constraints, but the best health possible under the conditions is my goal, and suggestions are welcome. Pleased to meet y'all!

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck on Primal!

Wow! What a struggle. It is possible though. Remember, you don't have to do it perfectly. Do the best you can.

You gotta cut out the sugar. Very hard to do, I know. But you must do it.

You don't have to eat 3+ meals per day. Many people here, including Mark, fast until mid-day or even eat only one meal per day.

Lots of threads here about eating Primal on a budget.

It would be great if you could get to the gym but you don't have to. Google body weight exercises.

I spend a lot of time at the computer too. Very essential to get up at least once per hour and move around some. Maybe some body weight exercises or stretching.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Welcome! Good luck on Primal!

Wow! What a struggle. It is possible though. Remember, you don't have to do it perfectly. Do the best you can.

You gotta cut out the sugar. Very hard to do, I know. But you must do it.

You don't have to eat 3+ meals per day. Many people here, including Mark, fast until mid-day or even eat only one meal per day.

Lots of threads here about eating Primal on a budget.

It would be great if you could get to the gym but you don't have to. Google body weight exercises.

I spend a lot of time at the computer too. Very essential to get up at least once per hour and move around some. Maybe some body weight exercises or stretching.
    Wow, thanks for the thoughtful response!

You're totally right. I have such an all-or-nothing attitude. I need to work on that, especially when it comes to exercising and in terms of budgeting. I just have to remind myself that ODing on eggs and fruit is still a bit better than the SAD alternative.

Updates incoming the next time I go shopping. will pick up lots of eggs, look in the organic meats section to get a feel for pricing, and get lots and lots of veggies, fruits, and maybe potatoes(not a huge fan, but I know they'll hurt less than bread, bagels, pasta, or...god forbid...corn.)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, after nearly a full week of eating the SAD stuff I had remaining in my fridge and spending the weekend at my dad's house(where he forced me to eat corn. CORN!), I finally got a chance to go shopping. The only place in walking distance is pretty pitiful, I need to start thinking outside the box in terms of finding my way to decent quality food, or getting it to come to me(I wonder how the nutrient profile of an urban raccoon compares to that of a conventionally-raised cow). Under the assumption that the calorie system is more or less correct in that it's a measure of energy contained in a food item, I tracked the calories/money of my shopping list, reproduced below.

Almonds, blanched - 350.8 cal/$
    Red potatoes - 303.5 cal/$
    Bananas - 275.1 cal/$
    Avocado - 184.0 cal/$
    eggs(Country Hen) - 142.1 cal/$
    Grass fed ground beef(White Oak)- 93.6 cal/$
    Salmon(Chile, farmed, color-enhanced) - 73.5 cal/$
    Kiwi - 62.8 cal/$
    Strawberries - 48.5 cal/$
    Grape tomatoes - 40.0 cal/$
    Spinach - 29.8 cal/$

What I've learned:
    0. My grocery store sucks
    1. Some items are extremely filling despite having a low number of calories(I'm looking at you, spinach)
    2. Almonds are a much better value than I though, at least at this place.
    3. Check if the salmon you're purchasing is listed by lb. or by unit.
    4. Find a different brand of eggs
    5. My grocery store sucks.

Other than that, I've been exercising a little bit(mostly simple body weight stuff). Strangely I can do pushups to exhaustion and not wake up sore. I think I need to try harder. This week my goal is to also find a spot to do sprints, and start taking inventory of everything paleo at this grocery store.

じゃ、また