Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Magnesium page 9

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Has anyone found that after a month or two of taking magnesium, your tolerance decreases? When I first started taking magnesium glycinate, I could tolerate 700mg (800mg = loose stools, ew). Then I had to back it down to 600mg, and now even 500mg is giving me side effects. What gives?? Is this indicative of having had a deficiency before, but now that I'm no longer deficient I can tolerate less supplemental magnesium?
    Oh wait. I think I just figured it out. I just started keeping a perpetual batch of bone broth going and drinking two mugs per day, and bone broth is supposed to be a good source of magnesium (among many other things). Apparently this is enough to be giving me ~300mg magnesium? Wow. That's pretty impressive. Duck bones, who knew?

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I hate it that there is no reliable info on the nutritional content of a homemade bone broth. I'd like to think it has good calcium and magnesium levels. I think i need to limit to 1 cup though as i don't think more than that goes down too well with me, which is hard because i make a mean vegetable soup with beef broth.

Quote Originally Posted by desertmama View Post
    I have never posted here, just lurked this last year or so, but saw this post and had to reply because I have this exact issue as well.

The heart thing is so disconcerting isn't it? If I feel my pulse I can feel it skipping beats and beating erratically. For me it is at its worst in the summer and tapers away in the fall when the weather cools off.

If I take 750mg of magnesium all at once my heart rhythm will usually fall back to normal within the hour. If it's been especially wonky the magnesium will make me very relaxed and sleepy once my heart has calmed down.

I'm currently trying to take smaller amounts of magnesium throughout the day to see if I can just maintain. Nothing works to get my heart rate back to normal like a large dose though. I can tell when I'm really deficient when it doesn't affect my intestines at all.

My sleep is very interrupted as well. I try to take 500mg at night to help with that, but I'm inconsistent about it and don't always notice a difference. I think my sleep issues are more due to stress or a combination of the two.

Also, FWIW, my brother suffers from the heart thing too and what works for him is to sprinkle salt in his hand several times a day and lick it off. I joke that I am going to buy him a salt lick.
    It is indeed, We're in winter now and i'm noticing it, don't know whether it'd be worse in summer. Do you feel safe taking the magnesium supplements? Have you had any diagnosis/confirmations on your magnesium levels? The stress will definitely affect your sleep aswell. I just hope to avoid permanent damage to the heart, so i will try act on this ASAP. Will begin monitoring potassium and magnesium intake from my diet to establish a pattern and throw in some variety into my diet to help get it from all sources.

Hope your feeling better.

I've got something interesting to report and i would love if someone with knowledge on the issue cna chip in with advice!

Basically this morning for breakfast i had 1 cup of chopped chard, 3 boiled eggs and a can of sardines and 1/4 avocado. Now one other symptom i have is bubbly urine, in that there is always foam in the bowl when i go for a leek. I thought it was protein, but urine tests couple months ago came back clear. I then suspected acidic urine, and have been testing with strips, most days i'm normal and others i'm slightly acidic according to them.

I just came back from toilet and noticed the foam was considerably less, to the point of it just being normal as streak of urine hits water causing foam. I'm happy to have noticed this as it could be my first clear indicator. Could the meal i had for breakfast contributed this, as i was aiming for a higher than normal calcium and magnesium intake on purpose (i believe my diet would reveal i am low in calcium aswell). Any thoughts? I've seen there are quiet a few members on here who are booksmart adn know their minerals/vitamins so i hope someone can comment on this correlation!

desertmama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    It is indeed, We're in winter now and i'm noticing it, don't know whether it'd be worse in summer. Do you feel safe taking the magnesium supplements? Have you had any diagnosis/confirmations on your magnesium levels? The stress will definitely affect your sleep aswell. I just hope to avoid permanent damage to the heart, so i will try act on this ASAP. Will begin monitoring potassium and magnesium intake from my diet to establish a pattern and throw in some variety into my diet to help get it from all sources.

Hope your feeling better.
    Thanks, you as well. Please post back if you are able to fix the issues through diet, I would much prefer that as well.

No, I haven't (I embarrassingly admit) been to a doctor in years. Partly because I have a special knack for putting off things like that and partly because we live in an area with abysmal healthcare.

I feel safe taking the magnesium supplements 250mg at a time once or twice a day. I don't like taking 750mg all at once, I do that rarely (when my heart is really going crazy) but it does work nicely.

Oddly, I don't recall ever having the heart issue until I started going primal last year. Other than giving up grains, it wasn't a huge change for me as I had a pretty wholesome diet previously. But it might also just be coincidence. My mother had an arrhythmia that she had to have fixed with minor surgery and my brother has these issues as well. So perhaps it would have cropped up regardless.

This is motivating me to go to a clinic and request a blood work-up.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789