Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium page 7

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I take a triple magnesium from Swanson Vitamins that is a 400mg combo of oxide-citrate-aspartate which works wonderfully for my migraines. Also take calcium since they work together.
    They don't necessarily work together but like most things in our bodies it's not only about total amounts but also about *ratios*. The thing is that most get enough calcium and that once folks optimize vitamin D, gut calcium absorption is significantly increased. Taking calcium in these cases will only cause issues over the long term. William Davis touches upon it in heartscan.

Just a caution. The magnesium is what is helping your migraines.

I was astounded after nearly forty years of severe migraines (always carry two different presciptions with me, +calmag now) that no doctor ever mentioned it, and I guess I was just not attending to the info on the internet, but for about a year now when I feel the first signs of a headache I take one of these and the magnesium nearly always stops it. This was like a miracle to me. I lived in dread of a full blown three day migraine.
    Oh yes. I've so been there. Interestingly, there is evidence regarding magnesium and migraines, it just doesn't get trotted out that often. There may be some scientific magnesium information in my link below - both the google docs links and the diigo bookmarks.

I take 250-800 mg magnesium per day depending on a variety of factors.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I take a triple magnesium from Swanson Vitamins that is a 400mg combo of oxide-citrate-aspartate which works wonderfully for my migraines. Also take calcium since they work together.
    They don't necessarily work together as much as they are both needed. They tend to work in opposition - think of calcium as the contractor and magnesium as the relaxer. Like most things in our bodies it's not only about total amounts but also about *ratios*. The thing is that most get enough calcium and that once folks optimize vitamin D, gut calcium absorption is significantly increased. Taking calcium in these cases will only cause issues over the long term. William Davis touches upon it in heartscan.

Just a caution. The magnesium is what is helping your migraines.

I was astounded after nearly forty years of severe migraines (always carry two different presciptions with me, +calmag now) that no doctor ever mentioned it, and I guess I was just not attending to the info on the internet, but for about a year now when I feel the first signs of a headache I take one of these and the magnesium nearly always stops it. This was like a miracle to me. I lived in dread of a full blown three day migraine.
    Oh yes. I've so been there. Interestingly, there is evidence regarding magnesium and migraines, it just doesn't get trotted out that often. There may be some scientific magnesium information in my link below - both the google docs links and the diigo bookmarks.

I take 250-800 mg magnesium per day depending on a variety of factors.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I think i am finally magnesium deficient. To the point i think i need to take action and quickly. I have only my symptoms to go off, no formal diagnosis has been done but worryingly i posses a funny/annoying heart rythm, interrupted sleep, slight cramp/stiffness in my calves and don't know if slow nail growth is another factor.

So obviously i'm most worried about the heart thing. I need some advice regarding on how should i approach my situation.

Should i go and get a diagnosis, and what is the most accurate and effective way to get my blood checked for most things but most importantly i guess magnesium and other vital indicators? Or are my symptoms enough to perhaps self-experiment and see how i go with some supplementation? I worry i am deficient in other nutrients/minerals aswell though.

It's annoying because i consider my diet to be fairly good, perhaps a little too repetitive and not include much variety, but disappointing to think your eating healthy and still need to consider supplementation, which i just don't find natural and have like a moral issue with the idea.

Echolife Magnesium Chloride Oil 250ml

Any opinions on this product? I am confused and slightly worried so any help and advice would be great.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I can't tolerate magnesium citrate, unless i need it to "quicken my digestion." You can get enough magnesium, but you must be intentional about it. I eat several cups of greens per day to meet my needs; chard is best, but kale is another good source.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I use a topical magnesium brine (different brand, but same concept) and I really like it. It takes care of my leg cramps and really reduces my heart palpitations. It can be a bit strange feeling on your skin - but it really helps me and I use it nightly.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

missblue is offline Senior Member
    figs are a great source as well. They have the fiber thing going for them too.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I know it's not supposed to work, but I've had the best luck with crappy old Magnesium Oxide from the drug store.

I tried a chelated version and Magnesium Glycinate, but neither one seemed to help with my migraines and restless legs at night. So I switched back to the crappy stuff and it works great for me.

ETA: But I also admit that I probably need more than the average guy (at least 800 mg) so I'm probably not the norm anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I can't tolerate magnesium citrate, unless i need it to "quicken my digestion." You can get enough magnesium, but you must be intentional about it. I eat several cups of greens per day to meet my needs; chard is best, but kale is another good source.
    So whether or not a particular magnesium supplement works for you, it's pretty much decided by if it gives you the runs?

My first plan is to get it from diet, so like you mentioned, i will try eat 2cups of chard throughout the day, some spinach and etc. Did you notice or diagnose a magnesium deficiency for yourself and thus implemented the diet changes accordingly, and noticed improvements?

Thanks for the responses, i appreciate it and quiet a few things have hit home in the 2hrs of research i just did. I have worryingly been neglecting a few things. Zinc and magnesium intake in particular.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    So whether or not a particular magnesium supplement works for you, it's pretty much decided by if it gives you the runs?

My first plan is to get it from diet, so like you mentioned, i will try eat 2cups of chard throughout the day, some spinach and etc. Did you notice or diagnose a magnesium deficiency for yourself and thus implemented the diet changes accordingly, and noticed improvements?

Thanks for the responses, i appreciate it and quiet a few things have hit home in the 2hrs of research i just did. I have worryingly been neglecting a few things. Zinc and magnesium intake in particular.
    For me, ditching gluten helped with my migraines, but I was still getting them. Tho Boyfriend and I did a bunch of research and found out about magnesium tried it and it helped.

Yeah, it can make you a little "loose" if you take a higher dose. But if I take less than my current 800 mg, the migraines get more frequent and my legs get twitchy at night. I fix the poop issue by taking 400 mg in the morning and 400 mg at night. Seems to work pretty well that way.

For me, efficacy and dose are based on the minimum level that makes any issues go away.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    zizou, just figure you are magnesium deficient and along with good foods start taking supplements. chances are you are way low and it will simply take too long to get up to a healthy level through foods alone.

i have been taking 1000mg a day for over a year, plus eating bone broth almost daily for 6 months and am only now beginning to feel like i can lower my magnesium dose.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast