Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium page 6

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Keep in mind that with optimal vitamin D levels (which we should all have b/c we're testing and treating, right?), calcium needs are much lower. And in those that eat dairy, supplementing calcium and magnesium together is generally not a good idea. Many will need only magnesium. Many won't even need that.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want to supplement in Magnesium but still want a good source that won't give you extra calcium, you can eat raw dandelion leaves.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2441/2

Radishes are also a good source of Magnesium, (you get calcium too though).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2606/2

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i'm thinking anyone new to this lifestyle should probably be supplementing with cal/mag especially just coming from SAD. may take awhile to replenish their nutrients. i've been primal for quite sometime and still take my mag. the difference is amazing;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I added magnesium to my supplements today. 1000 mg.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Reviving this thread because it seems timely.

I've been supplementing 400 mg of Mag Citrate one hour before bed for the last 6 weeks:
    • I am now sleeping through the night most nights.
    • Eliminated menstrual cramping with an additional 400 mg.
    • Am able to up my carbs to 70-80 g/day and easily drop body fat (with a calorie deficit, of course!)--previously, I needed to keep my carbs below 30 to lose.

I hope Cillakat & Stabby will chime in with any new info--or start a new thread!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say I have long had restless leg syndrome. I have been popping magnesium regularly, with only limited improvement. I've heard the problem is magnesium tends to not be well absorbed. I recently started taking Natural Calm, which Robb Wolf talks about--it's magnesium in a highly absorbable powdered form.

My RLS seems to be completely gone, just like that. *snaps fingers* I can hardly believe it.

This is what I got. It is delicious. You mix it in with your water. I am still not straight about the whole magnesium+calcium issue, so I went with the version without the added calcium.

Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality, Natural Calm, The Anti-Stress Drink, Organic Raspberry-Lemon Flavor, 16 oz (453 g) - iHerb.com

ETA: It's supposed to be helpful with sleep as well. My head hits the pillow and I'm out like a light anyway, so I have not noticed any changes in that regard.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 03-28-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Reviving this thread because it seems timely.

I've been supplementing 400 mg of Mag Citrate one hour before bed for the last 6 weeks:
    I am now sleeping through the night most nights.
    Eliminated menstrual cramping with an additional 400 mg.
    Am able to up my carbs to 70-80 g/day and easily drop body fat (with a calorie deficit, of course!)--previously, I needed to keep my carbs below 30 to lose.

I hope Cillakat & Stabby will chime in with any new info--or start a new thread!
    Hey! Glad you're taking magnesium and tolerating that amount of Mg Citrate. It's cheap and well absorbed - if one can tolerate it. I'd be in the bathroom literally all night long. Woo hoo!

For menstrual cramps, my experience has been the same, I can take mg instead of motrin - it's phenominal. Jigsaw Health mg is time released, each caplet is 125mg...I carry a bunch in my pocket at all times and take as needed. lol

You may find carb variability important over the long term for reasons i don't feel like typing out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Just wanted to say I have long had restless leg syndrome. I have been popping magnesium regularly, with only limited improvement. I've heard the problem is magnesium tends to not be well absorbed. I recently started taking Natural Calm, which Robb Wolf talks about--it's magnesium in a highly absorbable powdered form.
    It's just mg citrate - with the absorption of any mg citrate. Mag citrate pills and caps will have the same absorption rate as long as your stomach acidity is appropriately digesting food.

My RLS seems to be completely gone, just like that. *snaps fingers* I can hardly believe it.
    Pretty cool isn't it? RLS, anxiety, sleep issues, fibromyalgia, muscle tension, cardiac arrhythmia can all be dramatically improved by adding appropriate doses of magnesium. Emily Deans made a funny comment the other day about magnesium being one of the few things that you could add on it's own to a diet of twinkies and see improvement in mood, sleep and cardiac rhythm. I think the other was fish oil.

I'd caution folks that something like 50% cannot tolerate mg citrate - but it's cheap and well absorbed so it's a good place to start. If it doesn't work, it didn't break the bank.

Here are some other options (the plain now foods powder is nearly half the cost of the natural calm but it has no flavor added):

Now Foods, Magnesium Citrate, 100% Pure Powder, 8 oz (227 g) - iHerb.com
    Source Naturals, Magnesium Citrate, 133 mg, 180 Capsules - iHerb.com

Here's what I use:
    Sustained Release Magnesium Supplements | Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT | Jigsaw Health

If I could tolerate anything cheaper, you can bet I wouldn't be using a magnesium product that costs me $20-$30/month. Buying 3-4 bottles at a time gets the best price, free shipping and/or $10 coupons are always available (via jigsaw emails, facebook posts etc), and since two friends take it as well, buying such a large amount at a time makes sense.

best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I take a triple magnesium from Swanson Vitamins that is a 400mg combo of oxide-citrate-aspartate which works wonderfully for my migraines. Also take calcium since they work together. I was astounded after nearly forty years of severe migraines (always carry two different presciptions with me, +calmag now) that no doctor ever mentioned it, and I guess I was just not attending to the info on the internet, but for about a year now when I feel the first signs of a headache I take one of these and the magnesium nearly always stops it. This was like a miracle to me. I lived in dread of a full blown three day migraine. I think back to all that lost time lying in a quiet dark room in such pain that I would have taken anything to get rid of it, and a simple dose of magnesium would have made such a difference.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You may find carb variability important over the long term for reasons i don't feel like typing out right now.
    Thanks, Katherine! I'd be interested in reading about this (in another thread?) if you decide to share.

As it is, I seem to vary my low carb and higher carb days naturally. IFing has made a huge difference for me (maybe the magnesium, too?) in listening to what my body truly needs.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-02-2011 at 11:44 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I am also varying my carbs from day to day/week to week and IFing, intentionally going in and out of ketosis -- throwing my body some curveballs. She's responding so beautifully. I'm convinced it's encoded in our DNA. Thank God I found this.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast