Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium page 5

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Interesting info. Will have to look into the "oil" preparation. Hadn't even looked at it, because it is called something it couldn't be. Just figured it was quackery.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Regarding the worry over "how much are we getting through the skin", I assume that most people are grossly deficient when they start using mag oil, so it'll take them awhile before they need to worry about getting too much.

Also, if I might point out, nobody knows "how much they are getting" by taking magnesium by mouth, either, because they don't know how much of what they take doesn't get absorbed and leaves by the bowels.

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    You don't produce too much but for some reason your body is keeping to much in your blood.....kidney issues, PTH issues. It's signficant and worth investigating.

How much D are you getting and taking? How much dairy do you eat?
    Well i live in australia, but i work in an office, i don't supplement D, but i have been thinking i probably should, though when they test for it, they say i get suffient amounts :S it's so confusing sometimes. how much dairy, I have a hot chocolate with goats milk and cream once every second night. That is it. And i have a protien shake three times a week post workout, though when i took out all dairy, it put it in normal ranges. but only barely at the top scale. so yeah.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I now have some magnesium citrate and D3 supplements. Had the deepest nights sleep last night that I have had for a long time...and woke up an hour early.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Just made some mag oil too. On eHow it says it can be used as a deodorant - might be an interesting experiment!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthash View Post
    Well i live in australia, but i work in an office, i don't supplement D, but i have been thinking i probably should, though when they test for it, they say i get suffient amounts :S it's so confusing sometimes.
    no need to be confused

Can you find out your level? And the units used to measure? ie 40 ng/mL or 40 nmol/L? Lab 'norms' don't mean much but specific numbers can tell us alot.

Same for your calcium numbers.

If you truly are hypercalcemic you really can't supplement extra D until you figure out why you're hyper calcemic. I'd want more info regarding parathyroid hormone levels. it's worth considering.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Egg shells contain both calcium and magnesium, they are very close to human teeth in composition. This site describes how to make calcium citrate from egg shells:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/supp2.php

For myself, I've been grinding egg shells in a coffee grinder (I've also been doing this with clam shells and mussel shells). When I make one cup of coffee, I put a quarter of a tea spoon of crushed egg shell powder with my coffee grounds. The calcium carbonate from the shell neutralizes some of the acids that occur in coffee:

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/science/sourmain.htm

I find that the coffee tastes so much better. The coffee filter keeps out the larger pieces of the egg shells out of my coffee so I only get dissolved calcium & magnesium in my coffee. I got the idea after reading about old timers preparing coffee with eggshells to improve the taste.

When make a fruit and veggie smoothie. For about a liter's worth, I also put i about a quarter of a teaspoon of eggshells into it before blending.

If you are worried about salmonella, you can bake the eggshells in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes to kill the bacteria.

Also: Human cultures that don't have easy access to dairy products will often get their calcium and magnesium by consuming soups and sauces that have bones in them. For example, you can buy a soup bone and make soup with it. Also, if making spaghetti sauce, you an put a bone into it or a sea shell (like from a clam or oyster). Tomato sauce is pretty acidic, if you put an oyster shell into it, it will be bleached white when you remove it.

I suppose another way to get calcium in your tomato sauce is to make a hard boiled egg in your spaghetti sauce. The acid in the sauce will dissolve the calcium from the tomato sauce.

Since pasta is grains, you may want to substitute the pasta for shredded yellow sauerkraut. It will have a similar texture although the taste will be more pronounced.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    @acteon: i've been doing the eggshell thing lately. i'll have to try it in our egg drink (my girls are nowhere to be found when i bring in the spoon) LOL!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I just opened a capsule of magnesium citrate and poured it on my tongue (Constipated ) - the chemists here will understand when I say "OUCH! HOT STUFF!)

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Canned sardines and canned salmon contain the fish bones and they have become soft and chewable as a result of the canning process. Eating those fish bones is another way to get your calcium / magnesium.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast