Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium page 3

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    there's some interesting info coming out regarding vitamin D sufficiency and calcium dosing. Because vitamin D sufficiency improves (dramatically) the absorption of calcium in our gut, 1000 mg per day is too much for a D sufficient person. It may be that 600 mg calcium is sufficient....it may even be much less than that. As of yet, no one knows what is sufficient but it is clear that 1000 mg is too much once we optimize D.
    perhaps. i haven't had any visibly negative side effects from this supplement. It could be simply I need more Cal than most people because my bone structure is so much larger - I'm 6'7" with a broad frame.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    My library has the 2003 version (2006 is "updated"), I'm gonna check it out
    I read through the book, it's an easy read and provides information on symptoms of mag deficiency. It also says to work up your dose of mag in stages, and once you get the diuretic effect it means you're taking too much (start at 100mg and increase by 100mg every 5-7 days till you get to where you need to be). Also has suggested daily mag intake, 3 - 4.5 mg/lb (for me that's 800mg-1000mg roughly).

She also states a supplementation ratio of 1000mg Cal to 600mg Mag daily as being optimal, but says that a body ratio of Cal:Mag being 1:1 as optimal.

To reply to Cillakat again, i think proper Cal:Mag ratios are more important than total numbers (once you reach a certain point), kinda like O6:O3 ratios.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

cillakat is offline Senior Member

She also states a supplementation ratio of 1000mg Cal to 600mg Mag daily as being optimal, but says that a body ratio of Cal:Mag being 1:1 as optimal.

To reply to Cillakat again, i think proper Cal:Mag ratios are more important than total numbers (once you reach a certain point), kinda like O6:O3 ratios.
    I would have agreed even 3 weeks ago. It's very new information and based on my sources (bruce hollis, wiliam davis, john cannell), I'm inclined to believe it.

Chances are we wouldn't notice any negative symtoms for a long long time, all while damage is occuring.

The bottom line for me, what it *always* goes back to is the question of "what would have occured in the environment of evolutionary adaptation?"

It would have been impossible to get anywhere near 1000 mg of calcium.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Almost forgot to mention --- if Grok lived near a warm seashore, he'd get plenty of magnesium by swimming in the ocean. It just soaks through the skin. Plus his foods probably contained more than ours do, because many years of plowing and erosion had not depleted the soils of minerals.
    That is really interesting--I didn't know that mag. was absorbed through the skin!
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I would have agreed even 3 weeks ago. It's very new information and based on my sources (bruce hollis, wiliam davis, john cannell), I'm inclined to believe it.

It would have been impossible to get anywhere near 1000 mg of calcium.
    do you have any links for me to peruse?

I still think ratio is more important than quantity

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    do you have any links for me to peruse?

I still think ratio is more important than quantity
    If you search the following you'll proabably come up with it. I've posted it in other places on the forum too.
    heartscan blog calcium vitamin-d (william davis)
    vitamindcouncil.org calcium

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    "Magnesium miracle" is actually a pretty accurate phrase. It is kind of sad that the diets of so many people are devoid of the nutrients that are needed to function properly. I take 400mg as a supplement and get another 200ish from food.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    I use magnesium oil from ancient minerals mixed with DMSO to speed absorbtion (impatient) and take a mag glycinate supp.
    Just fyi, I made my own mag oil using nigari flakes (bought them online for $1.89 a lb!) mixed w/ water. I'm LOVING it--I absolutely feel a difference every time I apply it. Like it MUCH better than the mag citrate I used to take orally.

Here is the method I used to make mag oil: http://www.ehow.com/how_5918363_make...-oil-pain.html

And the link where I got the nigari flakes: http://www.naturalimport.com/inc/sdetail/6922

This is hands down the most cost effective supplement I've ever used!!!!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Almost forgot to mention --- if Grok lived near a warm seashore, he'd get plenty of magnesium by swimming in the ocean. It just soaks through the skin. Plus his foods probably contained more than ours do, because many years of plowing and erosion had not depleted the soils of minerals.
    This is something I love a/b using mag oil--each time I use it I imagine I was just taking a swim in the ocean, absorbing my minerals transdermally the way I was meant to. I get an immediate feeling of calm and relaxation when using it--it definitely works for me!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here in the UK it seems harder to find magnesium oxide at a reasonable price. However - I've found a site selling "Magnesium Oxide Horse Mineral Supplement" which claims to be a 100% pure substance designed for horses - which improves insulin resistance, apart from other things! Do you think this would be OK to use as magnesium oil????!! I don't know why, I just feel slightly dubious about using horse supplements - silly, really!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast