Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium page 2

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As a general resource, this book is supposed to be an excellent source of advice about how to diagnose Mg deficiency, and which form of Mg is best for different conditions:

The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Mira...8087408&sr=1-1

I haven't read it myself yet; still waiting for it to become available at the library...

Robeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Magnesium is used as a laxative.

My preferred supplementation is topical. I like a patch, but many others like an oil spray. Second is powder mixed with water. That is the best way to ensure maximum absorption for anything taken po. I especially like PeterGilham's Natural Calm. Easy to take, tastes fine, no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, sugar, starch, preservatives or artificial color or flavor. I am not sure that other brands can make this claim.
    My mom used to give us Milk of Magnesia where we were young to make sure we pooed *rolling eyes*

Do you need a prescription for a patch or topical magnesium?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I've taken magnesium oxide for headaches and it is definitely a laxative for me (single pill 400mg dose).

I take a Cal-mag complex supplement daily : 1000mg Calcium (citrate/carbonate/phosphate), 500mg Magnesium (oxide/citrate), 250mg Phosphorus (calcium phosphate), 3mg Boron (citrate), 5mg Zinc (glycinate), 250 IU Vit D3 (cholecalciferol), and a smidge of Vit C. All of this is in an oil base capsule (well 4 capsules for a single dose). I do know that in solution I do not have any laxative effects from the magnesium. Brand is Inno-Vite : Inno-cal-mag complex.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    As a general resource, this book is supposed to be an excellent source of advice about how to diagnose Mg deficiency, and which form of Mg is best for different conditions:

The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Mira...8087408&sr=1-1

I haven't read it myself yet; still waiting for it to become available at the library...
    My library has the 2003 version (2006 is "updated"), I'm gonna check it out
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    btw, I just located Dr. Carolyn Dean's site:

http://drcarolyndean.com/

It contains her blog, which, like MDA, has many useful and informative posts, many about magnesium.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    For those of you who use/have used magnesium oil: how do you know how much magnesium you're getting? I've been taking magnesium chelate but only 100 mg; I'd like to boost my intake but I already have the GI effects from 300 mg.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Good thoughts. It makes a world of difference. Going to go put Epsom salts in my bath right now.

Anybody got a reaction to taking Epsom salts in water by mouth? One does get a laxative effect if you take too much, but I find it gets into my system faster than any other form. Also it is almost dirt cheap.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Im doing epsom salt baths which I also really enjoy, gets a super nice sweat from it.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Robeil:

No prescription is required. There are oils and gels available. My choice, just because it isn't so messy, is the gel. A small dab on a nickel sized bandaid would work. Some sources could be :

http://www.bioinnovations.net/prodin...number=BN63405

http://www.needs.com

An internet search would yield more.

cillakat:

I am happy that you found a solution to your need.

If you are very concerned about additives, perhaps you should investigate the ingredients list. Does it include only the nutrient or does it include the nutrient and the enteric matrix.

From Wikipedia:
    Materials used for enteric coatings include fatty acids, waxes, shellac and plastics, plant fibers.

Most people who are very concerned about purity usually restrict enteric systems to a bee's wax matrix. Hopefully, your contents list is completely open and includes the enteric coating.

Note: This is meant to be helpful.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    I take a Cal-mag complex supplement daily : 1000mg Calcium (citrate/carbonate/phosphate), 500mg Magnesium (oxide/citrate), 250mg Phosphorus
    there's some interesting info coming out regarding vitamin D sufficiency and calcium dosing. Because vitamin D sufficiency improves (dramatically) the absorption of calcium in our gut, 1000 mg per day is too much for a D sufficient person. It may be that 600 mg calcium is sufficient....it may even be much less than that. As of yet, no one knows what is sufficient but it is clear that 1000 mg is too much once we optimize D.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast