Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much coconut??

Too much coconut??

Shop Now
    Is that possible?

I found some really good deals on coconut products at a supermarket.

Check out these:

http://www.edwardandsons.com/ldo_shop_coconut.itml (look for Organic Cream Coconut)

1540 calories in one little box! 2.49$ only!

In other words it's a great source of saturated fats without the nasty PUFA's which I'm avoiding.

Can I eat one of those a day? They look like they'll make really good ice cream bars. Got one in the fridge right now.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

The fats in coconut are good for energy and lauric acid gets turned to monolaurin so it has some utility. The problems I can see are that they can really only be used for energy and don't serve all of the important functions of palmitic acid so I think that it is better to have a combination of good animal fats and coconut. Also I dislike using too much food without micronutrients. It expends nutrients to digest and metabolize without replenishing nutrients. I get about 300 calories a day from coconut but couldn't see any more being desirable. It's definitely a good thing to include but a more varied approach is probably better.

Also I seem to have troubles with dessicated coconut that isn't ground up to powder. Coconut chips might be better properly chewed but I haven't tried them.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

So even if I eat tons of it, it won't get stored as fats? That's what I've been hearing. So if I eat 1500 cals from it, say in one sitting, will my body go berserk with energy? O.o

I just had a piece of that thing... it's like a coconut candy bar. Heavenly. I only wish it stayed solid in room temperature.

I buy those a lot..I make a sort of "custard/chunky" type of dessert out of them...really yummy! They are sort of insanely high in calories though (good thing I don't really count calories lol)
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    will my body go berserk with energy? O.o
    The one time I dared to drink a can of FF coconut milk along with several teaspoons of coconut oil, the effects weren't unlike drinking several shots of espresso.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

This calls for an experiment then!

What about all the fiber in coconut? Is it bad?

Not necessarily a bad thing if it is crushed up properly and chewed thoroughly. Shredded coconut is best when shredded to near flour consistency and the flakes look like they just need a little chew action.

In other news I have just consumed a package of creamed coconut. 1200 calories of mostly fat. Buzz buzz buzz buzz!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Not necessarily a bad thing if it is crushed up properly and chewed thoroughly. Shredded coconut is best when shredded to near flour consistency and the flakes look like they just need a little chew action.

In other news I have just consumed a package of creamed coconut. 1200 calories of mostly fat. Buzz buzz buzz buzz!
    Damn you beat me! I only ate 2 oz of it, saving the rest for another day. Sooo glad I decided to try it.

Shop Now
    Hot damn...I'm getting some right away!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.