Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: critique my 'primal' bulk plan page

primalbulker is offline Junior Member

critique my 'primal' bulk plan

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want to gain 10-30lbs lbm if possible

I am 5'10 130lbs.

(I had bad acne which I cured eating only primal foods but lost a lot of weight. I was naturally 118lbs but had bulked to 150-160lbs though quite fat also.)

I have tried gaining eating only primal foods but havent had much luck and is time consuming and expensive and hard to eat with my small appetite enough calories.

I beleive between 2500-3000 calories should be ok? I am aiming for around 2700 and have come up with a diet plan which is about 80% primal

basically foods I am wondering over are:

40g whey protein
    75g oatmeal or 60g basamati rice
    50ml double cream

every day plus extra 40g whey post workout.

I need these foods to get my calories up and make a easy quick shake.

I will either grind oats in a shake with whey and cream or eat rice at night with my meat.

the rest of my diet is basically

meat
    eggs
    vegetables
    fruit
    nuts
    seeds

aiming for

130g protein
    200g carbs
    150g fat

Are these no primal foods ok? Is it better to eat rice or oatmeal?

I mean in terms of health, acne and muscle building.

Thanks

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    No seeds, no nuts, no grains.

Eat sweet potatoes and fruits for your carbs. IF you really have to, eat white rice. I do that. However I won't touch any other grains.

You don't need all that much carbs anyways. I think you could shoot for some more protein. More fat calories.

No need for whey protein. It's so easy to get enough protein from a good diet. Just 1 lb of chicken breast has 140 grams of protein already.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    No seeds, no nuts, no grains.

Eat sweet potatoes and fruits for your carbs. IF you really have to, eat white rice. I do that. However I won't touch any other grains.

You don't need all that much carbs anyways. I think you could shoot for some more protein. More fat calories.

No need for whey protein. It's so easy to get enough protein from a good diet. Just 1 lb of chicken breast has 140 grams of protein already.

no nuts or seeds? i thought they were primal

i only mean coconut and pumpkin seeds that is all!?!? Are they ok?

I cant eat sweet potatos they give me stomach pain

I can get 150g carbs with fruit and vege but I just am not gaining muscle mass.

I can eat a can of tuna instead of whey

I think 130-150g protein is plenty for my weight?

I could eat more fat but how?

i eat 50ml olive oil, 10ml fish oil, eggs etc...thats why I asked about double cream....can I take in 100ml of double cream per day? and cut out rice/oatmeal?

Also, the problem was eating lots of food all the time which is why I was keen on a shake rather than another meal. I find it hard to eat food and never get that hungry plus a slow eater

No nuts and no seeds because they contain lots of omega 6 which will cause inflammation and possible excess weight gain. They might aggravate your acne, too.

Coconut is fine however. I eat tons of it.

You don't need carbs to gain mass. Carbs are only for performance. 150 grams is enough to get you through a hard training session.

Definitely cut out oatmeal. White rice is not primal, but it's not too bad. I eat it.

For fats you can eat butter, sweet, and the mighty coconut. Cream is fine also.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    It's protein that you need to build muscle. Carbs won't build muscle as such, but they will help give you the energy that you need to train really hard and that will help build some muscle (assuming you're getting enough protein of course) If you want to do the carb loading thing then add some carbs and cut your fat intake on days that you're going to lift hard and don't have them on days that you won't be doing as much. Eat the hell out of protein all the time though.

Ok how about this

protein:130-150
    35g protein can tuna
    20g eggs
    70-90g meat
    5-10g from fruit/vege

carbs: 130-150g
    4-5 pieces fruit
    250g carrots
    mixed frozen veggies
    salad/fresh vege

fat: 150g
    30-50ml coconut oil or coconut desicated
    30-50ml olive oil
    10ml fish oil
    10-20g butter or double cream
    15-50g from meat....lean meat or meat with skin?

double cream or butter only non primal food? these not a problem? Go for more coconut instead or fatty meat eg..chicken with skin?

PS- are rasins bad? I could make coconut/raisin balls to snack on during day
    Last edited by primalbulker; 07-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    It could take more than a year to put on 10lbs of LBM - 2 or 3 to put on 30lbs.. so be patient.
    Eating protein is the key element... amino acid supplements can help with recovery and growth.. Carbs or fat are your fuel..

Do you have a strength training program in mind? Focus on the big moves like pull-ups, push-ups/ overhead presses - deadlifts, squats and lunges.. but whatever you do - learn to perform the movements correctly before trying to lift heavy weight. It's a marathon not a sprint

Ive been lifting weights for years I only lost a lot of weight as I done a lot of fasting and healthy eating to rid my horrible cystic acne,

I am hopeful I can gain back some muscle quicker due to muscle memory perhaps.

Plus newbies can gain perhaps 20lbs in 1st year of training.

I am at about 9% bodyfat right now.

I would like to get to 140lbs at least by end of year with minimal fat gains.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Dude, if you like nuts and seeds then go to town. I think cutting nuts completely because of O6:O3 ratios is going overboard. They are delicious, nutritious, and an amazing source of energy and appetite suppression.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, I just don't think cutting nuts completely is necessary.

1 year to put on 10 lbs of LBM? That's depressing. I've gained that much over the winter alone.

Yeah, do Starting Strength by Rippetoe if you aren't already.

Your diet looks good. Eating that much fruit and veggie must be a pain in the ass, so eat some white rice if you want post work out. Won't kill you.

Coconut is looking like a good option instead of animal fats for me also. The reason is because it supposedly can't be stored as fats, even if you eat an excess of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast