PRiMAL FOOD

B: scrambled eggs with turkey and feta, homemade cappuccino

L:

D:

EXERCiSE

42 min hilly hike in my Vibram FFs!

MUSiNGS

Challenge

I chose to try and lose 3% points off my body fat %. I've known for a long time that body fat percentage is a more accurate measurement of my health than my actual weight. I'd like to lose weight too and inches off my hips, but I think those will be a result of eating and moving primal. To that end, I'm going to try to keep my carbs to 100g/day instead of 150g/day.

Choices

I try to keep the food in our home real, local, and organic. So if I eat non-primal (daily or grains), at least it's non-GMO and organic. My husband eats granola and I make a flax meal bread for him (it's full of eggs). But for the most part, I've been successfully keeping my carbs to 150g/day for the last several months.

Goals:

I'll post where I'm at each week with my body fat %.

fritchbeetle is offline Junior Member

*Day 1 Update*

PRiMAL FOOD

B: scrambled eggs with turkey and feta, homemade cappuccino, flax-meal bread w/ raw cheddar

L: yogurt, raw food bar (not a typical lunch)

D: 4 oz salmon fillet, steamed baby carrots, flax-meal bread w/ bruschetta

EXERCiSE

Just went for a 15 min walk with my hubby, in addition to my morning hike.

MUSiNGS

Challenge

Wahoo! Today I kept to my goal of keeping my carbs under 100g!

Total Calories: 1215

Fat: 74g

Carbs: 66g

Protein: 70g

Choices

I made the strange choice today to eat a small lunch. Also, the flax-meal bread is a strange choice for a Primal diet, I know. But it's made with lots of eggs and little flour (mostly flax-meal) and flaxseeds are proteins right? One slice is 199 calories, 14 fat grams, 9 carb grams, and 6 protein grams. Not bad for a slice of bread!

Goals

No update yet on my body fat.

P.S. Here's my goals from the "State Your Primal Health Challenge Goals" page:

I'm a thirty-year-old female looking to lower my body fat from 26% to 23%.

I've been following MDA for many months now. I'm a Weight Watchers lifetime member and since joining WW in July 2007, I've lost 40 lbs. I started at 183 lbs and am currently 143 lbs. I'm convinced that the last 5+ lbs came off because I've been following the PB plan - keeping my carbs at or below 150g/day. I've still got about 6+ more lbs to lose to make it to my personal goal (I met my WW goal in May) but the big thing for me is to become even more fit, more agile, and more able to play.

When I joined WW, I was about 41% body fat. Last year I ran a half-marathon (at 38% body fat). This year I competed in a reverse sprint triathlon (at 27% body fat).

Let's see if I can drop 3% points in 30 days!

*Day 2*

PRiMAL FOOD

B: scrambled eggs with turkey and feta, homemade cappuccino, flax-meal bread w/ raw cheddar

L: beef taco, french fries, champagne grapes, green juice

S: greek yogurt with homemade nutella (only hazelnuts, cocoa, stevia and coconut oil)

Din: veggies (carrots, red peppers etc), chicken, sauteed together, 3 large green olives

Des: decaf coffee and whipped organic whipping cream sweetened with stevia and allspice

EXERCiSE

Lifted heavy things. Squats. 10 minutes worth.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

Today I made an unwise lunch choice by going to Jack In The Box for their free beef tacos. Hey, we're on a tight budget! So we added french fries to our order. I RARELY have french fries anymore. So what better to celebrate the start of the primal healthy challenge with than french fries!? I'm kidding of course.

So because I used up all my Carbs for my lunch and breakfast (by 3 PM I was at 98g!), I had to scramble to figure out a low carb dinner. We had chicken in the fridge and a Trader Joes Veggie Hodge Podge in the freezer. Bingo!

Total Calories: 1299

Fat: 71g

Carbs: 107g

Protein: 60g

Choices...

I'm disgusted with myself for my lunch choice. But pleased with my dinner choice. Knowing that I'm planning on posting my daily choices helps keep me accountable to my goal!

Goals...

*** Day 3 ***

PRiMAL FOOD

B: poached egg, champagne grapes, green juice

L: flax bread (1 slice), raw cheddar, champagne grapes, smoked salmon (2 oz), green olives, dill pickles, green juice, tortilla chips (7 chips)

Din: smoked salmon (1 oz), slice roast beef, tomato soup

Des: white wine, chocolate (2 squares)

EXERCiSE

90 minutes walking around a huge private garden with a friend. I feel the lifting from yesterday in my legs. Awesome.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

I ate tortilla chips today. It's because today was grocery day and I have a habit of snacking on the tortilla chips while I put them away. I buy them for my hubby and his business partner, but I snack on them too. Gotta stop that.

I was fine on my carbs until it was time for dessert. I just couldn't resist the white wine with a little chocolate. Oh well. It's evident, my calories are the same, but my fat and protein is down while my carbs are up. Still below 150g but not below my goal of 100g. Perhaps I'll consider it a carb-cycling day. Ha!

Total Calories: 1236

Fat: 53g

Carbs: 121g

Protein: 50g

Choices...

I was impressed with my lunch choices. Lots of grapes today.

Goals...

P.S. I forgot to mention anywhere that I had my wisdom teeth out very recently and am trying to avoid foods that will get stuck in my wisdom tooth holes. Lettuce, nuts, and most meats are things that I'm avoiding right now. That's why I'm consuming lots of smoked salmon. It's easy to chew with my front teeth. I suppose Grok wouldn't have this problem, eh?

*** Day 4 ***

PRiMAL FOOD

B: scrambled egg, 1/2 chicken sausage, feta, 6 oz cappuccino

L: smoked salmon (2 oz), tomato soup, 2 small dill pickles, 2 green olives

S: decaf espresso macchiato

Din: broiled lamb leg (6 oz), steamed carrots and broccoli, white wine

Des: white wine, chocolate (2 squares), yogurt sweetened with stevia, strawberries

EXERCiSE

42 minutes walking around a huge grass field in my VFFS. 10 minutes of sprinting.

15 minutes walking with my husband after dinner.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

Today was easier. Definitely craved the white wine and chocolate for dessert. But it didn't put me over! The broiled lamb was full of good meaty calories!

Total Calories: 1441

Fat: 70g

Carbs: 84g

Protein: 81g

Choices...

I felt good about my exercises and food choices today. Except, hm... I suppose I should have put some fruit in there. At least I got the strawberries in at the end.

Goals...

I'm away from my computer tonight. I'll update my journal when I return home.

*** Day 5 ***

PRiMAL FOOD

B: homemade sourdough bread, homemade primal nutella, poached egg, raw cheddar, cappuccino

L: leftover broiled lamb leg, bruschetta, dill pickles, olives, raw cheddar, 1 cup tomato soup

Din: chicken breast (crock pot), plum, lettuce, banana, cappuccino

S: (2 AM) raw organic food bar (mostly primal)

EXERCiSE

None. But, I'm on a film shoot Friday thru Sunday so I'm staying up WAY late. I guess I'm using up calories by doing that? Don't know.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

Today was easy until I got to the film shoot. They had chicken in a crock pot and salad and rice. I avoided the rice for obvious reasons, but because of my recent wisdom tooth extraction, the salad was also a challenge for me. So I had lots of chicken and fruit. I also snacked on lettuce.

Total Calories: 1480

Fat: 65g

Carbs: 119g

Protein: 111g

Choices...

I feel good about my decision to avoid the rice and munch on fruit. Even though it put me over my desired carb volume.

Goals...

P.S. Tonight I'll be at the shoot again so I'll post today's journal tomorrow around mid-day, after I wake up.

*** Day 6 ***

PRiMAL FOOD

B: scrambled egg, pear, small amount of oatmeal (I was on set.)

L: smoked salmon (2 oz), 2 dill pickles, 2 green olives, flaxmeal bread, primal nutella, greek yogurt, strawberries, cappuccino

Din: roast beef, carrots, cabbage, broccoli

S: (2 AM) raw organic food bar (mostly primal), coffee, potato chips (Still on set.)

EXERCiSE

None. But, I'm on a film shoot Friday thru Sunday so I'm staying up WAY late. Got to bed at 7:30 AM.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

I came very close to meeting my goal of 100g/day or under. Given the circumstances, I'm pretty pleased.

Total Calories: 1450

Fat: 87g

Carbs: 101g

Protein: 78g

Choices...

Thankfully there were scrambled eggs for breakfast. They made hash browns and oatmeal as well. I avoided the hash browns but the oatmeal smelled wonderful. I overheard someone talking about how two of the guys on set drink kefir and consume coconut oil. So I sought them out and discovered that they'd been eating primal for about four years. It was a fascinating conversation. Both of them are big and strong and cut. Very well-built young men. Between them they eat about four dozen eggs a day. Not sure about that, but fun to meet more primal eaters. One of them will be on set again for the next few weekends. I'm hope to get to talk to him more about his lifestyle.

Goals...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

*** Day 7 ***

PRiMAL FOOD

B: <none>

L: chicken soft taco with white beans, chocolate biscotti, cappuccino

Din: beef pastrami, chili, french fries (not very many)

S: bittersweet chocolate

EXERCiSE

I got home at 7 AM from the film shoot this morning so I slept until about 1 PM. No exercise today.

MUSiNGS

Challenge...

I wanted to try out a new Mexicatessen in our neighbourhood. I got something that I could easily chew with my front teeth as I&#39;m still dealing with craters in the back of my mouth due to my wisdom teeth extraction. But since I hadn&#39;t eaten breakfast, due to the time I got home from the shoot, I stayed within my goal for the day.

Total Calories: 940

Fat: 37g

Carbs: 96g

Protein: 53g

Choices...

I enjoyed the choice to get pastrami for dinner. Obviously the french fries were indulgent. But the chili was 50/50 I guess. I wonder if I&#39;d spent more time and case in making a choice at the Mexicatessen if I would have made a more primal and healthy choice? But now I know that the chicken there is good and hopefully in the future, I&#39;ll be able to avoid "soft foods."

I feel like I need some fresh veggies. But they&#39;re crunchy and hard to chew.

Goals...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast