Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wired with energy and bored page 2

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    What benefits do you feel a Kettlebell routine gives over controlled barbell/Dumbbell movements ?
    Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options out here where I live. I bought a set of sandbag kettlebells and brought them back to Egypt with me. We have lots of sand, not much in the way of free weights.

I'm working more on functional fitness and things like sandbags and kettlebells seem to be more shifting and unstable and likely closer duplicate the type of movements I might have to do in my work. I would likely not have to lift a fixed weight 10 times in my work, lifting an odd shaped and shifting weight is much more likely.

Regular kettlebells seem to give a more varied workout than just controlled barbell and dumbbell exercises. The sandbag KB even more so and their are some KB exercises that the sandbag KB just don't work well for.

That being said, I have a line on some dumbbells in Cairo and heading in tomorrow morning to check them out. I'll likely pick me up a pair and add them in. I have found a few used sets of quality freeweights in the local classified but wasn't quick enough to get them.

Closest gym is at the hotel here and they don't have much. Next closest is about an hour away. Just have to make do with what I have.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options out here where I live. I bought a set of sandbag kettlebells and brought them back to Egypt with me. We have lots of sand, not much in the way of free weights.

I'm working more on functional fitness and things like sandbags and kettlebells seem to be more shifting and unstable and likely closer duplicate the type of movements I might have to do in my work. I would likely not have to lift a fixed weight 10 times in my work, lifting an odd shaped and shifting weight is much more likely.

Regular kettlebells seem to give a more varied workout than just controlled barbell and dumbbell exercises. The sandbag KB even more so and their are some KB exercises that the sandbag KB just don't work well for.

That being said, I have a line on some dumbbells in Cairo and heading in tomorrow morning to check them out. I'll likely pick me up a pair and add them in. I have found a few used sets of quality freeweights in the local classified but wasn't quick enough to get them.

Closest gym is at the hotel here and they don't have much. Next closest is about an hour away. Just have to make do with what I have.
    This part stops me from getting on my soapbox too much then !
    Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options
    A muscle will always be worked better when tension is maintained and that can only be done at slower controlled rep speeds.
    The concept of 'Functional training' is just utter garbage created by idiots trying to promote Crossfit and P90X type disasters, how often in real life do you lift a heavy weight by swinging it crazily between your legs, if anything could be considered functional it would be basic lifts such as Deadlifts, Squats and Overhead presses although any exercise that safely creates adaptation from a muscle is to me creating functional strength.
    Some people also do Kettlebell type stuff in the hope of burning calories, once again this is a very inefficient way of achieving a goal and the risk to benefit ratio not worth the effort.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    This part stops me from getting on my soapbox too much then !

The concept of 'Functional training' is just utter garbage created by idiots trying to promote Crossfit and P90X type disasters,
    Actually by functional fitness I'm thinking more in the realm as functional fitness for firefighters. Having to carry a bulky and shifting section of 3" hose up a couple of flight of stairs is somewhat duplicated by carrying a sandbag up a couple of flight of stairs. I don't think I've read anything in firefighter fitness books that involved swinging a heavy weight around your head.

But I'm far from being an expert in any of it. I have never gotten into strength training before, just now getting into it now. I'm a complete and total novice here at 58 years old.

If I can ever get my hands on some free weights over here, I'll be using them also.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Actually by functional fitness I'm thinking more in the realm as functional fitness for firefighters. Having to carry a bulky and shifting section of 3" hose up a couple of flight of stairs is somewhat duplicated by carrying a sandbag up a couple of flight of stairs. I don't think I've read anything in firefighter fitness books that involved swinging a heavy weight around your head.

But I'm far from being an expert in any of it. I have never gotten into strength training before, just now getting into it now. I'm a complete and total novice here at 58 years old.

If I can ever get my hands on some free weights over here, I'll be using them also.
    Yeah training is very specific if you want it to improve a specific task so shouldering a sandbag would be great practice for shouldering a fire-hose.

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    thanks guys. I love the weighted vest idea, and am now trying to think if people will notice if I wear it under my office attire at work... I have some ankle weights I bought years ago. I stopped using them when I read somewhere taht they were a waste of time. (some CW site probably)

I am reading the negative training link, Thanks Old School, it sounds really interesting. I remember an old gym trainner telling me slow is best.
    I have also been trying toddler lifting, she loves it and at 15kg its not a bad workout.

I have started eating lamb and chicken liver these last two weeks, I think it may be the source of my newfound energy. Its amazing.

Oh , one more question: I am always only able to exercise for short periods. 5-20 minutes here and there throughout the day. Are several short workouts as effective as a long one?
    Last edited by Badgerfaced; 05-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    PS no one else knows, but I've started doing wall push ups in the ladies toilets..... I feel like a freak!

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    You'll definitely get some benefit from short bursts of exercise. Just do what you can when you are in the mood .

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Lift weights. Look up exercises online to make sure you're doing them right. Start with light weights or bodyweight exercises, then progress to heavier weights when the light weights get too easy. Enjoy your newfound strength and energy.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerfaced View Post
    thanks guys. I love the weighted vest idea, and am now trying to think if people will notice if I wear it under my office attire at work... I have some ankle weights I bought years ago. I stopped using them when I read somewhere taht they were a waste of time. (some CW site probably)

I am reading the negative training link, Thanks Old School, it sounds really interesting. I remember an old gym trainner telling me slow is best.
    I have also been trying toddler lifting, she loves it and at 15kg its not a bad workout.

I have started eating lamb and chicken liver these last two weeks, I think it may be the source of my newfound energy. Its amazing.

Oh , one more question: I am always only able to exercise for short periods. 5-20 minutes here and there throughout the day. Are several short workouts as effective as a long one?
    I do one-minute workouts every hour, and that works just fine for me.

Misabi is offline Senior Member

Texas Grok, you may find this article up your alley:
    http://www.strongfirst.com/hardening...er-for-combat/
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast