Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementation/Tips for headaches needed!! page

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member

Supplementation/Tips for headaches needed!!

My father always had bad headaches weekly, but they have been worsening for the past couple months. He misses work twice a week now due to his headaches, and is therefore risking his job. I know my parents won't listen to my recommendation to take out bread/wheat (although they eat pretty healthy otherwise) to improve his symptoms, so I suggested Magnesium supplements and massage. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what has worked?

He has cut out caffeine, coffee, and chocolate.
    Also, what is the difference btw Mg citrate or chelate, and what dose should he take? I am thinking he should start from 200mg, but want to just make sure.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have seen very good success rate with chiropractic evaluating and treating the neck and spine as necessary. This is good because any new or worsening headache symptoms should be evaluated by a health professional anyhow.

For a current episode my wife uses peppermint (essential oils) rubbed on the temples and gets quick relief.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-14-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    He needs to take magnesium type and amount based on my guide: Magnesium: Most Overlooked Mineral for Improving Health - Part 1 - FixYourGut.com

He needs to also eliminate gluten and look into CoQ10 supplementation.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I've tried peppermint oil and it smells nice but did nothing. Removing gluten and taking magnesium were what's helped me the most.

Pre-primal migraine remedy was 1 Benadryl, 2 Excedrin and when available a little coca cola (I rarely had any on hand). But if this combo was taken just as the headache was starting, it worked like a charm, if I waited too long forget it, I was in for a long haul of miserableness.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    He needs to take magnesium type and amount based on my guide: Magnesium: Most Overlooked Mineral for Improving Health - Part 1 - FixYourGut.com

He needs to also eliminate gluten and look into CoQ10 supplementation.
    Wow, your guide was very comprehensive! However, you don't list headache as a reason for any of the magnesium supplementation types, so which would be best for that?

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Cold turkey on the caffeine may make the headaches worse (withdrawal symptoms)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I believe he cut it out a couple months ago. Would he still have withdrawal symptoms?

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    I thought caffeine withdrawal was a one time thing. It's a nasty headache but in theory only lasts a couple days (I didn't make it the time I tried so I can't be sure - the headache was unbearable and I gave up).

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    I would go with Magnesium Glycinate for migraines.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When was the last time he had a medical check up? Just throwing supplements at an issue isn't always a great idea. Eliminating wheat/bread however is a win in my book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast