Thread: I won't give up but my body is telling me something.... page

commonpeasant is offline Junior Member

I won't give up but my body is telling me something....

Primal Fuel
    Paleo for me has been give and take - I lost my pms and 40 yr. old exercise resistant belly flubber - and gained hot flashes and flaking lip syndrome.

I have been hypoglycemic my entire life, and never overweight. At 40 my tummy appeared to be bulging over my jeans suddenly, and obsessive exercise didn't get rid of it. I went into paleo slowly, gluten first - which instantly reduced some of my stubborn flubber.
    I stayed with a modified diet allowing brown rices and gluten free bread, in order to maintain my blood sugar and yes did eat potatoes. All of this I ate very sparingly. I added fish oil in place of veg oils, and of course do only coconut and butter. Eat mostly fish, with some gf beef and soy free eggs.
    I lost my belly and my pms - monthly breast swelling my whole life - NO MORE. I'm 44 years old, never took BC pills, never miss a regular monthly period. Normally healthy other than hypoglycemia which I inherited.

I recently realized that I had pretty much eliminated the modified portion of my diet - am no longer bothering to add the carbs to my food in the last month. I have adapted to the diet, six months in, and am now back to losing weight and have become too thin. My pants are falling off.

That being said, I'm suddenly having hot flashes every night without ceasing, and it's interfering with my sleep.
    Also - my lips have begun this strange condition called cheilitis - the corners of my mouth are horribly cracked and my lips have flakes of skin coming off of them. Nothing heals it.

I ate a huge bowl of brown rice last night about a few hours before bed - it was too much for me, but I forced it down with some green beans and a little whole milk yogurt on top......I only had one hot flash last night and it was mild.

Not sure if there is a connection, but I do feel that I must be in need of the starches....
    Does anyone understand what my body is telling me?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    The focus of primal now is finding what works for you. Some people need more starches, especially resistant ones. One of the things we know about paleolithic hunters and gatherers is that they ate roots and tubers. Potatoes have gone from being evil to being great for some people. My blog on potatoes.

Sorry. I can't help with hormones nor cheilitis. Hopefully someone will.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

I loved your potato blog.
    This got me thinking about idodine. Potatoes contain 60 mcg iodine. I believe I am ingesting over 200 mcg of iodine daily with my diet (cod, eggs, salt) and in my multi vit. Way too much - not good.
    I was a vegetarian for 7 years before going paleo.....:/ I think my thyroid went into shock and I'm not getting enough calories.
    the lip thing and hormones can be related.
    Switching multi-vits and cutting potatoes.
    Thanks for your reply~

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    It sounds like you could use some carbs, just not potatoes. What about sweet potatoes or rice? Also fruits!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

pilot is offline Senior Member
    If you are 44 and having hot flashes, you might consider you are approaching menopause.

Absolutely! No one is ever ready for menopause. I'm still in full reproductive mode - natural sex life, regular monthly cycles - the body's only goal is to reproduce....and it let's us know when that is threatened. Hoping this little message is nutritional for me. Or not

Yes, thanks! Planning to add more sweet potatoes and rice. Have been omitting those lately, about a month now. Craving more fruit as well.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by commonpeasant View Post
    I loved your potato blog.
    This got me thinking about idodine. Potatoes contain 60 mcg iodine. I believe I am ingesting over 200 mcg of iodine daily with my diet (cod, eggs, salt) and in my multi vit. Way too much - not good.
    Why do you think that is too much iodine?

I personally think that in excess of 4,000 mcg is where you should start being careful about getting too much. 200mcg isn't even the (too low) RDA.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Why do you think that is too much iodine?

I personally think that in excess of 4,000 mcg is where you should start being careful about getting too much. 200mcg isn't even the (too low) RDA.
    +1 Mark has written about iodine, e.g.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In my little research on iodine, I read that seaweed sources are 90% water soluble and the amount in each type of seaweed varies greatly, so how much you get from seaweed is debatable. It was implied that the japanese are not actually absorbing all of this abundant iodine from seaweed. I was trying to figure out how my metabolism was causing me to drop weight and feel fatigued - I couldn't even exercise. That sounds a bit like hyperthyroid, and hormone issues result from thyroid imbalance as well. Too much iodine can mess with the thyroid. Since starting paleo I'm getting at least 2/3 more iodine that I used to ingest, as a vegetarian, and partial vegan, and more than the RDA. I was thinking my thyroid is working overtime, and I'm not getting enough calories due to low carb. I was also using pure fish oil every day on my veggies, for six months. I read that this has proven to boost metabolism by 400 calories a day. I did notice months back that when I added the fish oil, and cut out the olive oil I dropped more fat quickly. Perhaps my omega 3 ratio is 1:1 and my body doesn't dig this. If I was a caveman, I would have to work really hard to gather that much fish and eat it....so I'm likely eating too much of a good thing. I also used to get almost zero cholesterol compared to what I eat now, so maybe my testosterone has increased causing my body to say hey....what about estrogen! Especially since I'm at a perimenopausal age. Whichever the cause, I'm trying to find the balance that works and makes my body happy and whole. Any thoughts appreciated!