Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenella's July Journey page

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Jenella's July Journey

Primal Fuel
    OK. 30 day challenge ahead for me.

Why? Because I need to see if this really works. Been half hearted PB for 6 months now. If it does, 30 days should be enough to see some difference. Then I'll shoot for another 30. If it doesn't, I've learned a lot, will probably stick to the PB way of eating (because I really enjoy my meat!), but I'll get myself back to running/lifting on a regular basis and counting my calories. That's how I lost 40lbs before...and gained muscle as indicated by weights incrementing up on the dumbbells.

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants. For me, whole meats, veggie, very very little fruit.
    2. Move around a lot at a slow pace. Daily walks w/dogs. Long walks. Yard work. House work.
    3. Lift heavy things. Body weights for now. Till I can get a bar and some weights for dead lifts
    4. Run really fast every once in a while. Softball, yes. Dogs would like to sprint as well.
    5. Get lots of sleep. This will be tough. Due to work schedule, I'm up at 4:30AM daily. And w/household, not asleep till after 10.
    6. Play. I need to do this. I will. I have a kid that'll love frisbee, basketball, etc
    7. Get some sunlight every day. Tough with an office job, but am on 5k IU of Vit D. Thanks Cilliakat!
    8. Avoid trauma. Easy enough except on scooter rides. Need my RT foot to heal.
    9. Avoid poisonous things. No beer for 30 days. 1 or 2 glasses of wine a week at max. No chips w/my queso when I go out to eat.
    10. Use your mind. I do that at work. But it needs 'play time' too. Card Games w/SO will fill that space.

It's July 1st. I weigh in at appx 215 and am in a size 40 - 42 in waist for my jeans. Am a 40 yr old surgical menopause female. And an XL in Tshirts. I won't be stepping on a scale...but going by my jean size. Need to get SO to do some taping.

Wish me luck.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    We began June 19th. Main goal is weight control and reduction of BP. So far down 10 lbs with only change walking .8 mile per morning. IM in N Tx so I do this at 5 AM. Luck...see you on the healthier side!

Dgr_874 is offline Member
    Another Texan here too. I also started my 30 day challenge today. I'm finally coming off of working graveyard shift and am using it to make all sorts of other changes. I figure it might be a little hard with the 4th coming up but, I will just have to try some grilling for myself! Good luck!

Yah for all the Texans!

I just got off the overnight shift the first of June. I think I FINALLY got caught up on my 'rest'.

In Austin!

Regarding the 4th...I plan on having the grill going at least both Sat/Sun. And prob Monday as well. Grilled veggies/meat anyone?

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Thursday, July 1:

Fitday totals:
    Cals Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot(g)
    1,604 110.7 20.6 128.7

PB Laws:
    1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants: B: Coffee w/HWC L: BAS w/Roasted chicken, Greek Gods Yogurt w/2 strawberries D: Crockpot pork tenderloin cooked in stewed 'maters. S: Left over cold coffee w/HWC
    2. Move around a lot at a slow pace: A little. Alex has dumped some rain here so am not getting those walks in with the dogs. Guess I could as it's not 'storming' just raining. Need to make that happen today because the dogs are about fed up w/being housebound. Stood at my desk @ work for appx 3 hrs yesterday. That entails a lot of random leg stretching, inclined push-ups, and just in general fidgety-ness.
    3. Lift heavy things: Started my version of the p90x. So, lots of various style pushups. My upper body is heavy!
    4. Run really fast every once in a while: Not today
    5. Get lots of sleep: maybe 5.5 hrs.
    6. Play: Physical play? None.
    7. Get some sunlight every day: See aforementioned hurricane. But thanks to Cillakat, I am on 5k Vit D.
    8. Avoid trauma: Easily done today, even mental.
    9. Avoid poisonous things: Super easy
    10. Use your mind: Used my mind in pool last night. All those angles, taps, and English.

Comments:
    Started the P90X program yesterday and good god. The 5 minute warm up wore me out! But I pushed through appx 30 mins of the first session. Lots of various pushups, stretching, pull ups (for which I couldn't do. Need bar/bands.) I liked it and am looking forward to starting and finishing that first session. I realize P90X may not be primal but like others, I'm taking those workout routines and modifying them to not be too cardio, etc.

I am almost exclusively in my VFFs right now. I've suffered from chronic PF in my RT foot for almost 2 yrs now. It's to the point that my entire foot is inflamed and stiff. Found Mark's post on feet and am using those steps. The VFFs aren't hurting the foot...but I'm hesitant to say my foot is improving. Definitely more conscious of how I walk...trying to land more mid-foot, or walk on my forefoot. 40 yrs old and I finally figured out how to 'swish'! Ugh! Lets say my foot is stable. Yeah, that's good.

Made it through an entire night of pool without a beer! A watermelon kazi was bought for me by Squirrel but I snuck it off to someone else. A: it's just too sweet for me B: really didn't want any alcohol. Because of pool, we got home around 2130 or so. Got all critters fed and the coffee pot ready and was in bed by 2230. When the alarm went off at 0500, I wasn't as tired as I usually am after pool night. Contributions of abstaining? Sure..I'll bite. Softball was rained out last night so no 'real' sprinting for me.

Today is Friday. A long weekend ahead.

TGIF!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Just a comment...

GOOD GOD MY SHOULDERS/ARMS HURT!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness my a$$!!! Less than 24 hrs later...I can tell I did something!

LOVE IT!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

batty is offline Senior Member
    ohhhhhhh, i know what P90X you did. that one is a killer

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Lol...it prob would've been a killer if I could've finished it. But, I wimped out around the 30 min mark. Today, I'll pull out whatever DVD is next and go after it.

What are your thoughts on the p90x, batty? Did you finish it? Follow it to the T or modify? Educate me, please!

I have worked out with weights off/on the last 3.5 yrs so have an understanding of form and function. That started with a weight training class in a community college.

Am looking forward to the program.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

batty is offline Senior Member
    i do love the P90X! i call it my 'gateway drug' to fitness, because it transitioned me from just doing pilates/yoga every day to solid, hardcore lifting and CFing.

i followed the schedule, but not the diet plan. er, i calculated the necessary calories i needed per the guide, and then just tracked everything on livestrong to keep ratios. not primal, though - i did it back int he CW days. it did help me improve strength somewhat - i think when i started, i could only do about 12 pushups and progressed to 20. heh.

i will say it does get irritating after the first 30 days or so because it DOES take up a lot of your time. i think at one point i ended up skipping yoga altogether. i ended up doing 2 rounds of it, then used it to supplement in between cycling days. stick with it, though, its fun.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Friday July 2

Cals Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot (g)
    1,424 92.3 41.9 81.6

PB Laws:
    1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants: B: 3 cups coffee w/HWC L: BAS w/roast beef & w/a really good peach S: Greek Gods Yogurt w/2 strawberries. D: leftover crockpot port tenderloin. 1 glass of wine and less than an ounce of dark chocolate.
    2. Move around a lot at a slow pace: Stood at my desk @ work for appx 3 hrs yesterday. That entails a lot of random leg stretching, inclined push-ups, and just in general fidgety-ness. Not much else
    3. Lift heavy things: Repeat 1st day p90x. So, lots of various style pushups. My upper body is heavy! (C's introduction to it)
    4. Run really fast every once in a while: Not today
    5. Get lots of sleep: about 8 hrs? In bed by 10:30 and up when the sun started changing the color of the sky. About 5:45ish? (Love that time of day)
    6. Play: Physical play? None.
    7. Get some sunlight every day: Still overcast and raining. I am on 5k Vit D.
    8. Avoid trauma: Easily done today, even mental.
    9. Avoid poisonous things: Super easy
    10. Use your mind: Used it in relations to work. Planning out my weekend counts, right? !

Comments:
    It felt really good to go to work Friday and not have the affects of beer in my system. While sure, I was tired from little sleep...I still had energy and wasn't my typical sluggish self on Fridays.

C did some P90X with me today. She's had wrist surgery so we have to get her some bars to support her wrist instead of doing the typical palm flat style push ups. I found it difficult today but just like yesterday...I got my little endorphin high from the exercise. That's something that I remember from the last time serious working out was undertaken...that 'just plain feel good' attitude.

Not much else. Have a 2 page 'to do' list for the house this weekend. And have got to get started.

? Was it the dark chocolate or wine that had me waking up hungry this morning? Or the p90x? Most mornings, I am not the least hungry and find a cup of coffee typically takes care of any of that. This morning, I woke up plotting what to fix for breakfast. Something I love about PB is I don't 'need' to eat b-fast.

Thoughts for the day: Need this damn rain to clear out.
    Last edited by jrherring; 07-03-2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: don't know my days of the week!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast