Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal Paul R (ORG) page

Paul R is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal Paul R (ORG)

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to start by talking about my commute.

Last November my day job office moved locations. It was actually closer to home (18 miles vs 22 miles), but one turn on one freeway turned it from 75 minutes a day total to 2-3 hours every day. I hate being in the car that long and the light rail was no time saver at all. I tried moving my arrival and departure times around and finally found that leaving before 6 AM and right at 3:15 PM worked to cut the total drive time to 70 minutes a day.

I hated getting up at 4:45 to shower, and get in the car by 5:50. One day right before Thanksgiving I was out on my lunch time walk and walked past the gym my company sponsors. I thought if instead of getting ready every morning I just packed my work clothes and lunch the night before I could wake up at 5:20-5:30 and jump in the car in my gym clothes. I get to work about 6:10 and work until 8:15 or so until the first other humans start to show up for work. Then I dash over the the gym and work out, shower, change and walk back to work, usually before 10 AM.

I've actually come to love this schedule for a lot of reasons and I've stuck with it except for travel days since December 1st. I could tell I was building muscle of course and I was diligently using a point counting weight loss plan. The plan though just wasn't working. Every week I'd end up under points and every week I stayed exactly the same.

The first week of April I was traveling for a week long meeting. I decided I was just going to scrap the point counting as grossly unpractical for that week (lots of beer drinking and chain restaurant food) and just do my best to get into the hotel work out room when I could. I already decided that I needed to do something to shake up my workout when I was back into routine and figured I'd start searching for that on the Monday when I was back to a normal routine.

I was surprised and not surprised when a week off point counting resulted in no change at all to my weight. I think that was pretty much a validation that that system just does not work. So back at my desk I started to Google gym work out ideas. Most are just about how to add mass which I don't need to do. I was 6'4' and 220 lbs as a very fit 18 year old, 30 years ago. Adding muscle was not something I needed to do. I finally followed a link to Mark's Daily Apple. I really liked the add sprints idea, which my workouts were missing.

I kept reading though. Honestly I really enjoyed the humor and social observations more than anything. The more I read, the more it clicked with me. I remembered something a co-worker had told me the week before about a friend (PhD in Nutrition) of his being in an on line conflict with one of those pre-prepared meal diet companies. He had said how their program of constant carb intake wouldn't work and described to me exactly what Mark was writing about one week before I read it on MDA.

I bought the book the next day and just finished it last night. I didn't want to start the 21 day challenge 'officially' until I had finished the book and returned from a vacation last week. I figured it might be hard to find primal food while hiking and visiting the National Parks in Utah (turns out it wasn't). I did start to follow the principles though and not just the changes to my workout but everything I could incorporate.

My wife joined in right away. Lots of the things Mark writes about she's said to me for years, like eat when you are hungry, sleep when you're tired. The first week of 'partly primal' I lost 4 pounds. When we returned from Utah, exactly 21 days into finding Primal I was down 9 pounds.

I'm now starting week 4 or my official first week of the 21 day challenge. My fantastic wife has been super supportive and she said I needed a Primal name. I told her I'd be ORG! Grunt when you say that and flex your muscles. ORG! I told her then I could paint a dot on my forehead and be dotORG!

She picked TAH. Which is short for a very impolite Spanish slang word. After one sushi lunch I've taken to calling her Sake-TAH. So we're off on our challenge and journey.

Gym today was 7 bike sprints and 35 minutes of lifting things. Pull ups are still a huge challenge but my planks, squats and push-ups are going well.

Tomorrow we're going to make some Primal sausage and I'll share the recipes Monday.

Some pictures from the weekend. First our dinner Friday night. We had friends over and we've got great friends, they joined right in with no grains dinner.

002.jpg
    Saturday was mostly dedicated to making sausage. I've not yet read the articles about adding organ meat to your diet but figured that would be pretty easy. I bought the heart below and some pork heart and calf liver to add to pork butt and belly. I cut the heart into pieces that could be grilled and the scrap went into the sausage. I made some cured Tuscan salami and Sopprassata. First time trying cured meats so I did use pink salt. If I can get it down I'll start trying nitrate free.

004.jpg
    There were fresh live Spot Prawns in the Asian Market so that was dinner last night. Tah made a great breakfast of ground beef and eggs that kept us going all day until 9PM with just a few nuts as snacks. My energy level is so much higher now and I'm just not hungry for long stretches of time. It was 13 hours between meals yesterday!

007.jpg

Day 7 or 28. Cancelled our hike yesterday to hang out in the backyard with a brief trip to the mall for Tah to look for toe shoes (or whatever they are called). I like to go to the mall every six months or so to remind myself how repulsive it is. We had two eggs and 2 pieces of home made bacon for breakfast. Snacked on nuts and fresh strawberries and cherries through the day. Dinner was ground beef, swiss chard and celery salad with red wine and some tequila to finish.

Today I packed raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, seaweed salad, carrots and tuna for eating. Started the day with 1/2 glass of milk and some coffee. The tuna is not 100% Primal, I used about a teaspoon of Mayo. Gym workout was 10 minutes warming up on the treadmill and then 40 minutes in the weight room. I went lighter on the pull up assists and got 6 done. Finished with 25 minutes at low speed on the bike.

Net for the week was down another 3 pounds. That's 12 total in 4 weeks.

2:05 AM both phones start going nuts. American delayed my 8 AM flight until Noon. Sleep interrupted but I did get a better breakfast than I hoped.

No gym today, my workout is going to be walking around airports.

Last night for dinner I made grilled chicken thighs, grilled asparagus, and steamed artichokes. Tah cut up a fresh tomato and I made a butter garlic dip for the artichoke. Breakfast this morning was coffee to start. Tah made an egg salad and wrapped little bits in kale leafs. They were very good and I should have gotten a picture. I cooked up some more bacon, 2 1/2 slices each. That should keep me going until I get to dinner in Dallas tonight.

Wendy717 is offline Senior Member
    Your food sounds great! Welcome!
    This is my journal page!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Thanks Wendy!

Long travel day yesterday. Flights delays from a storm in Dallas on Monday plus sitting on the runway waiting for a spot for 40 minutes, plus a cabby who could not find Plano had me sitting down to dinner with everyone after they'd already had salad and apps. Dinner was very light, a grilled chicken breast and a beer. I managed to resist the chips and tortillas at a Mexican restaurant pretty easy. Dessert was a chocolate cake which was also an easy pass since chocolate makes me sick. I was feeling low on food though so popped into a wine bar on the walk back to the hotel for some cured meat/cheese and red wine.

I'm actually enjoying not tracking to closely what I'm eating. I can be OC by nature and counting and tracking doesn't help. I'd put that down as a great Primal benefit - no need to closely track anything.

I was up at 6:15 local time to spend 30 minutes on the bike and 15 on the treadmill. Both low impact. Why can't hotels make decent scrambled eggs? I ate maybe one egg, but did get a good dose of bacon and fresh berries. I'll be back on a plane at 3PM. Feel good though the increased energy level I've had seems to have helped with travel.

One thing I don't like at all about business travel is not being able to make some of my own meals. All my meals yesterday were out. Salad for lunch at the company cafe and I was on a plane home at 5. Tah took me to Morton's in San Jose last night for a rib eye and some heirloom carrots. I packed the left over brussel sprouts and bacon into my lunch today. Also have a big bag of berries, and a chicken thigh. I had some milk and a boiled egg this morning.

Not sure what I'll do at the gym this morning. Bike for 25 minutes or so I think and then maybe a light weight work out. Try and keep it under 30 minutes in the weight room today I think.

Dinner last night: Tah made a tomato salad with cheese:
    001.jpg
    I made 'hillbilly cabbage' a recipe from my sister in law. Bacon bits (which for those making their own bacon is a great use of the end pieces you can never slice thin enough) 1/4 stick of butter and 1/2 a head of cabbage.
    004.jpg
    Some of the Thai basil sausage I made Saturday. One untwisted on me but it worked out fine.
    005.jpg

The wine. I should start a 'What wine are you drinking' thread.
    006.jpg

I may do my bike sprints today at the gym, still a bit undecided. I think I'll break up my core exercises. Yesterday I did planks, squats and pull ups and skipped the pushups. I still did a good rotation around the weight room but skipping the pushups I felt stronger doing the planks. I think I'll go on an every other day rotation doing planks and pullups one day and squats and pushups the next.

I went ahead with the sprints and cranked them out fine. I did squats and push ups and think that will be the new routine. We're hiking tomorrow and Sunday in Almaden Quicksilver Park then going to Boogie on the Bayou. I probably won't journal over the weekend.

I'm not really tracking what I eat all that closely. Everything I had today was primal I know that. I'm low on veggies for the day but I'll get those tonight. Tah and I don't seem to be struggling with snack foods like a lot of the journal's I've been reading. We never really had a lot of packaged food in the house anyway so we're not missing them. I read something here that Mark wrote about labels and as I remember it the questions was what one should look for on a label and the answer was : don't buy anything with a label. We're mostly sticking to that theory.

Tah's asked me a few times why I started this and last week I had some really good clarity. It's been 30 years since I graduated from High School. One of the the things I say about Facebook is there are an awful lot of people talking about high school that are my age. I had a good experience and a good time, but I consider it the least interesting time of my life. The past 30 years, and that past 15 with Tah in particular have been great. Ups and downs for sure but I'm happy with where I am and where we are together and all the experiences we've had.

I want the next 30 years to be as rewarding. I want to enjoy all my time with Tah and our life together. That's where the clarity came in last week. We had dinner at my Mom's one night with family and I have two aunts in bad shape. One is diabetic and can't get in and out of her chair without help. She's 75, that's in my 30 year window and I don't want to be that helpless in 25 years. Another aunt is suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's. It's very sad, she's just 65. I've thought it's been a result of 30 years of taking prescription drugs for everything. She's from that generation that takes a pill for everything. No one really agrees with me and it's no more than my gut feeling and years of talking with her, but I don't ever want to take that level of drugs.

Saturday I went to visit my dad at his work. He's 73. He tried to retire about 5 years ago and got bored after 3 weeks so he went back to work. Now he's talking about cutting back to 4-5 hours a day instead of 8, but we'll see. He was just back from visiting his brother in Arizona and talking about a trip to New Mexico in August. 6 months ago he was freaked out because he had colon polyps removed and it was the first time in his life he'd been in the hospital. (At least for something that wasn't falling out of a jeep or off a roof).

I have good genes. My dad's not slowing down at 73 and he's enjoying his life and family. I want to be that dude. I've got those genes I want to maximize them. I want the next 30 years to be better than the last 30, and those were not bad.

Day 14/35 Gym this morning for 27 minutes on the bike, 13 on the treadmill and 37 in the weight room. It was weigh in day which is actually not a big deal. At this point I'm all in, so no matter what the scale says I'm staying on plan.

Down 3 more pounds. 15 in 5 weeks. I'll say that again, 15 in 5 weeks, and I'm still telling people it's the bourbon and rib eye diet

Saturday we ended up doing an 8.5 mile hike. The map said it would be 5.2 but we did some wandering and both map my walk and the step counter I have on said 8.5 The hike started with a 1000 foot gain in 1.5 miles. We decided to skip a hike on Sunday and hit the farmers market and store.

Brunch on Sunday was a treat. Tah has been craving cheese so we picked up some at Whole Foods.

003.jpg

We hung out and watched the Giants game in the back yard and snacked on some fresh fava beans then made dinner about 7PM. This was a carrot and chard dish.

004.jpg

The main attraction was cheese burgers with bacon, avocado, squash and grilled onions. We're fortunate to have a friend with a cattle ranch in TN and he raised the cow this beef came from and we took about a quarter of the cow. He named her Bertha. The first cow we did this with I named. Usually naming your animal is a farm taboo, but I told him I thought it was respectful to the cow. We'll remember her name, her picture and be grateful every time we have some of her. She went to people who really cared that she was raised and treated right. I told him Denny's is disrespectful, McDonald's is disrespectful. I think that convinced him.

005.jpg

Tonight we're going for 'real' Chinese food. Should be easy to stay Primal if I can avoid the shaved mango ice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast