Thread: Strange and Interesting Food Stuffs page

maurapprimal is offline Member

Strange and Interesting Food Stuffs

Primal Fuel
    Happy Friday Groks(ettes)!

So as I'm finally getting back into the Primal swing of things (nothing like loosing 2 pounds just by eating right to get you going), I had a sudden and interesting revelation:

I like to cook.

Sounds silly, I know, but I grew up fed on microwave dinners and Atkins bars, hotpockets through college and only learning to use the over as a senior (burn-scarred myself multiple times during that process, I tell you). Going Primal, both the first time and now this second round, has really forced me to learn the tricks of the kitchen. And it's honestly quite satisfying when what you make turns out great

But I digress, here's my silly question: What strange and interesting foods do you guys eat? As in the main ingredients (veggies, meat cuts, etc).

I mean, I cook steak and spinach and eggs, all the traditional things. But I honestly, truly want to try out unusual vegetables, meat cuts, you name it! Heck, I have trouble figuring out what to do with the beets sitting on my counter. I really want to expand my culinary horizons, beyond just the many recipe books I've gotten. Any thoughts?
    Back from the dead!
    New Starting Weight: 200
    Current Weight: 197
    Goal Weight: 130.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Beets: my fav way to cook them is to trim root and stems, wrap in foil and roast in oven at 400°F for an hour. Let cool, don gloves, and rub off skin. Eat warm or hot. If keeping more than a couple days, splash a little vinegar to prevent spoiling.

A fairly weird food I now eat is frozen green bananas, thawed partly. Before freezing, cut in half and use spoon to pry off peel. Cut into chunks and freeze without touching, then put pieces into plastic bag. Raw green bananas and plantains have a lot of resistant starch for gut health. The frozen green plantains aren't as yummy but I eat them, too.

Nourished is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty plain compared to some of the folks around here. The whacky foods I eat are mostly ferments: kombucha, pickles, sauerkraut (my favoritest pickle!), kefir, etc. I usually roast or pan fry meats, and vegetables are either steamed, baked, or roasted. I eat very simply- just meat, vegetables + butter, salads, roots for at night, etc.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    As for the beets: I roast them and then add them to salads. Wash the beets, put them in a roasting pan with a little water, cover the pan with foil. It depends on the size of the beets but generally they take about 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400 degrees. Test them by poking them with a skewer or fork. The fork should just go in, if you overcook them they will be mushy.

I usually wait to cook them until I'm roasting other things so as not to waste energy.

Another way i like them is in a mixture of roasted vegetables. I cut up carrots, beets, red onions, cauliflower etc. toss them in olive oil salt and pepper, put the mixture on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast at 375 for about an hour. Make sure you cut the harder veggies smaller as they take longer to cook.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.