Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow. Harper's got some nutrition article right for once. page 2

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I will have to check out your butcher! Us upstate people think nothing of driving an hour to go to one store, it's what we do, haha. I know a mile in the city is sort of a big deal by foot or train hopping.
    Lol!!

I forgot you drive. XD driving is such a foreign concept to me...

I walk everywhere...I might start taking the citibike instead of the subway for longer distances.

TQP
    One selling point for my butchershop:

The entire street that it is located on is like the second Restaurant Row in NYC, except more low-key and less touristy than the restaurant row itself. Thai, 2-3 South American places, a billion sushi places, and some fancy places with cool little Tapas and etc. The Mediterranean tapas place only cooks with olive oil.

Also a vegan Chinese food place. I don't go there... >.>

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Is the cold shower statement in that article correct? Is it that good? After the cold shower can I turn it to hot? TIA!

TQP

Wow. Harper's got some nutrition article right for once.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Is the cold shower statement in that article correct? Is it that good? After the cold shower can I turn it to hot? TIA!
    Cold thermogenesis.

and no.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Lol!!

I forgot you drive. XD driving is such a foreign concept to me...

I walk everywhere...I might start taking the citibike instead of the subway for longer distances.
    I need to start walking everywhere! That's one reason I wouldn't mind moving to the city. All of that walking is so good for you if you don't inhale the bus fumes.

Yeah, almost everyone we talk to in the city forgets we have a vehicle to drive. Directions always come by block on foot, and we're like... umm... so we have to find a parking garage first?! lol
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I try not to judge especially cause that was me not long ago but it happens. Especially when I see organic vegan cupcakes or something. Or 100 calorie packs. Those just piss me off. I used to be one of those "everything in moderation" types and those suckered me in. I feel bad for others who got suckered in too. The people who eat those never look healthy.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Cold thermogenesis.

and no.
    I'm looking into this right now but if anyone could give me a primer it would be great. Does it have to be early in the morning, like in the place of my morning shower? Can it be after I get home from work? How long of a cold shower am I working myself up to?

TQP

Wow. Harper's got some nutrition article right for once.

@eig, I don't judge the persons doing anything. I judge bad nutrition advice given out by fashion magazines... I don't even know why they write them. We all know the girls who read them rarely eat. I know because I work in fashion and I feel that struggle to diet instead of eating healthy every day. I see a bad pic of me at an event etc and I am like "damn it I should fast the 3 days before an event"... Ugh. Everyone talked about how bad they were being eating fries on a Monday, 5 FASHUN girls from a reputable fashion magazine sharing 1 side of French fries. Thin and chic are used interchangeably. Smoking and cardio to keep the weight down is a real thing. :P

@j3nn, haha. Don't forget the shitty real estate prices...

miata is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing the cold showers for about 9 months -- after reading Timothy Ferriss' 4-Hour Body. I haven't used any hot water for showers. It is a little tough at first. FOr me the key was to just jump in and get past the shock. Even made it through the winter this year -- OK I am in California:-)

There are definitely health benefits -- I haven't even caught slight signs of a cold while doing this, and I also run around and bike outside with much less than others around. Ferriss pushes cold showers for their ability to increase your metabolism based on some NASA science or something. DO a little Googling for interesting facts in that area. I also think that cold water minimizes the effects of chlorine. I hadn't heard of the meditative benefits, and not sure I completely buy into that based on my experiences.

My family thinks I have gone off the deep end, but recently I also stopped using soap and even shampoo. Just use cold water for my skin and apple cider vinegar and baking soda for my hair.

TQP
    Baking soda IS soap. You are just creating soap with your own body oils and fats. Lye and fat = soap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast