Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D and the British National Health Service (NHS) page

M!chael is offline Member

Vitamin D and the British National Health Service (NHS)

Primal Fuel
    Been to see my Doctor for the first time today!

I've been a bit worried that despite good efforts my Blood Pressure having come down last year is back up again.

I've seen a great U-Tube about how key Vitamin D is and have noticed that the months when it went back up were following me stopping the supplements, ah hah.

I asked for a vitamin D test and he refused, it's only "given" to those with suspected bone problems.

He did however offer 10 other tests I hadn't asked for (Blood pressure, Haemoglobin, Full Blood Count, Electrolyes, Glucose, Liver Function, Cholesterol, Thyroid Function, Urate and Urine Albumin!!) I'm going get these done as they're "free" (i.e. on other peoples taxes) and may highlight a problem I'm not aware of. I'll get the Vitamin D done privately (only 25)

So my question is . . . is the relationship between Vitamin D and Blood Pressure still not widely recognised across the world among doctors?

What are your experiences with health professionals in the UK and around the world on this?

Michael

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the US in Washington state near the Canadian border. The weather here is gray and rainy most of the year(I don't live that far from where Twilight was set). The doctors here pretty much assume people don't have enough Vitamin D and routinely recommend about 4000 units for adults. You can ask for and get a vitamin D level test, but the insurance usually won't cover it unless you can document a good reason why. I had outright deficiency levels when I was first tested and it and the next one that showed I was above deficiency were covered.

The endocrinologist I was going to was pretty much on top of things and good at spotting problems. She had me taking vitamin D and Fish oil. She has since retired and I ended up with a family practicioner(MD) who I am utterly unimpressed by. We are currently having a disagreement as to where my thyroid levels should be and the Family practice doctor is completely ignoring what the endo recommended. I can't get into another endo because there is simply no space with the local ones without traveling the better part of a hundred miles.

Thanks for replying, Interesting.

I'm taking 4,000 units when I don't get any sun (so most days) but think it might not be enough.

Because I'm about 250 Miles North of you, I'm big (214lb), easily tan, and because of the high blood pressure think I should be aiming for more than "above deficient"

Mark Sission thinks you need to get above 50-60 ng/ml for general health benefits, the U-Tube said specifically for high blood pressure 60-100 is optimal, this is the level found in populations near the equator where high blood pressure is very rare.

So I'll see what my level is next week and adjust my supplements if necessary.

Michael

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The Perfect Health Diet has looked at a few different studies and they recommend for people living as far north as Alaska to supplement 4000 IU in winter 2500IU in summer. Northern US/Southern Canada 2500 and 1000 IU and for Sourthern US 1000 IU in winter only.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 05-08-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Sensis is offline Junior Member
    I read recently that they recommend around about 1000iu per 25lbs of lean body mass. If I can find the research I'll post it up.

But I feel your pain, I don't have much luck with local UK gp's! It's terrible considering how little sun we get a lot of the time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensis View Post
    I read recently that they recommend around about 1000iu per 25lbs of lean body mass. If I can find the research I'll post it up.

But I feel your pain, I don't have much luck with local UK gp's! It's terrible considering how little sun we get a lot of the time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    On the Joe Rogan Experience podcast recently Dr. Rhonda Patrick's general starting point was 1000iu per 25 lb of bodyweight, but highly recommended getting tested so you know how much you need to supplement.

As well as the more body fat you have the more vit d3 you need to take as your fat absorbs and holds onto it.

Jumpt to 20 mins for the vit d talk
    Last edited by Misabi; 05-09-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

LindyCG is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D and the British National Health Service (NHS)

I'm really surprised a vitamin D test isn't standard in the UK. I live in Arizona where there's near constant sun and my doctor still includes it in my routine tests (possibly because I'm super pale). A couple years ago I came back severely deficient - incidentally, I'd been having nasty calf cramps that went away once I started supplementing.
    Last edited by LindyCG; 05-08-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just had a standard set of blood tests via my GP (UK). I would have liked to know my vit D levels, but as you say, this is not in the standard tests. I am wondering whether as the importance of Vit D is now being thoroughly investigated and discussed, that it will take time to trickle through and become institutionalised and recognised as important? Maybe it would help stimulate the conversation by raising the issue with our GPS? I have not been tested and naturally am curious. I've been supplementing 800iu per day, through caution. I know there are significantly higher numbers being suggested, but I need to do some more research before I can take that step.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast